Sharon in serious condition..what does this mean for Israel?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is not likely to return to power after suffering a massive stroke. The nation is in the midst of re-elections. It will be interesting to see how this will affect Israel and the course that the nation is taking.

Sharon’s stroke threw Israeli politics and diplomacy throughout the region into turmoil amid election campaigns for both Israel and the Palestinians.

FULL STORY

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bad juju. Sharon was probably the only one who could push through the current process with the Palestinians, flawed plan or not. He was willing to use the carrot AND the stick. Those on the right want to use the stick and those on the left want to use the carrot. Both approaches have shown they don't work. His replacement will most likely be Netanyahu, who will throw the brakes on hard. The terrorists will use the period of political unrest to consolidate their increasing control over the Palestinians and gear up for another round of bloodshed.

I can really only see negative results for the middle east. I'd love to hear some other perspectives.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
His replacement will most likely be Netanyahu, who will throw the brakes on hard.

I've always liked him, but I'm not sure that his style is right for the current situation. Certainly, there needs to be progress made on lowering the tension level.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, with the recent passing of Arafat, one major obsticle towards peace was removed. With the possible passing or stepping down of Sharon, it might be time for a new generation of politicians to step up. I'd love to see a new generation with fresh ideas step into the stoplight and see if some of the ridiculous trends in the region can be reversed. Its a complicated situation though, and not going to be any easy fixed in the coming. The next few years should prove interesting...

I do hope for a speedy and complete recovery for Sharon :asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've always liked him, but I'm not sure that his style is right for the current situation. Certainly, there needs to be progress made on lowering the tension level.

I like him too and I agree about his style at this point in history. I see things going backwards. Look at the tension level when Sharon was working to give the Palestinians land. Netanyahu was probably the most vocal opponent to giving up territory. The Palestinians can kiss off getting any more. This could also be a rallying point for radical fundamentalists. Hopefully, they'll be too busy fighting amongst themselves to join together against Israel.

Then again, maybe the Palestinians should be happy with what they've got? They've never had their own nation and now they do, small as it may be. Lichtenstein and Monaco seem to be doing just fine. :)

One thing's for sure, Iran will definitely take notice if Netanyahu resumes power.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that there is an unfortunate potential for greatly increased instability in the region. For the past two days I have really been hoping for a recovery, but doctors are now saying that that is not going to happen. Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I'm a little uncomfortable going to deeply into specific Israeli politics while he is so near death.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I predict that it ain't gonna be good. Instability invites trouble.

Pax
Cujo

Latest Discussions