Shame

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a full ecosystem, which makes it easier for places where they don't need (or want) the technical
That ecosystem is also what makes it hard to get out of there, once you are stuck in the mess of dependencies and subscriptions and with MY DATA in THEIR proprietary data structures/storage. If you pull out of one, your lifes organisation fall into pieces.

So I say stay away from it, even if the first is for free.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they?😳

I was giving a lecture once about the three sources, durations and ‘levels’ of energy for powering muscles: CrP-10-15sec, anaerobic 30-40sec aerobic…you get the idea. I had little photos next to the text as examples of the activity that might utilise each source of energy as an aide memoir for the students. Next to CrP+ADP—> ATP+Cr, I had a photo of a Japanese swordsman cutting through a rolled straw mat (tameshigiri). All of a sudden a Chinese student stood up and started shouting incoherently. I didn’t know what was going on but I pinpointed her in the audience, approached her and asked her if there was a problem. She shouted in mixed English and Mandarin that her grandparents were at the Nanjing Massacre and she was protesting about me using the picture of a Japanese swordsman. A 19 year old girl in 2016 having been indoctrinated by her parents!

She was psychotic as it turned out over the subsequent years, her wealthy parents getting her through dental school and even buying her a practise in London on graduation.
Again, it depends where they live. You have to remember that even names of certain things are different between the northern part and the southern part of the ROK. You find this sort of thing even here today. Some people still refuse to buy a Japanese or German car. It just depends on the family.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, it depends where they live. You have to remember that even names of certain things are different between the northern part and the southern part of the ROK. You find this sort of thing even here today. Some people still refuse to buy a Japanese or German car. It just depends on the family.
I’d only buy a German or Japanese car! 😄

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a significant emotional event for Korea. Now it’s more like our WWII vets getting angry when a kid or grandchildren buy a Japanese car. The younger generation has started to let it go.
Yes exactly. Got it a lot returning to the West and people finding out I live in Japan. Mostly influenced by father or grandfathers stories but have never experience Japan real time to find out they are the same as us.

As I have mentioned before on other posts. Contrary to this my father had worked for the start of the UN repatriating allied forces. He met japanese doing the same and saw terrible things on all sides. His wish was to come to Japan afterwards and make friends.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes exactly. Got it a lot returning to the West and people finding out I live in Japan. Mostly influenced by father or grandfathers stories but have never experience Japan real time to find out they are the same as us.
The sins of the grandfather’s are not the sins of the children. Brits have this thing about Germans but they’re amongst the most wonderful people I know.
As I have mentioned before on other posts. Contrary to this my father had worked for the start of the UN repatriating allied forces. He met japanese doing the same and saw terrible things on all sides. His wish was to come to Japan afterwards and make friends.
Every army has members that do awful things. My father (Indian) was physically abused (with lit cigarettes) by members of the British Army in the 1940s, just for a bit of fun. My friend was a medic for the paras in the first Gulf war and witnessed injured enemy being abused (and worse) by US and British forces.

War brings out dark forces in humans…forces that’d usually remain well hidden in peace time.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
War brings out dark forces in humans…forces that’d usually remain well hidden in peace time.
Yes that is exactly the conclusion my father and his Japanese counterpart came to. That and the governments that caused the problems in the first place, Father had been up in Kanchanaburi. Thailand and saw some terrible things on all sides

I would have to say I have heard few Japanese talk about the ABombs although I lived in that area. Yet I constantly read complaints about "What the Japanese did" from people that were not even born at that time. My fathers biggest joy was the fact that I had moved to Japan and was so successful saying, "Well at least from wars some good things happen".

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, both sides in a war commit terrible acts. But that does not mean both sides are morally equivalent. What Japan did to the people of China and Korea or acts the Nazis committed cannot be compared to anything the Allies did by a long shot. They were magnitudes of order worse. Authority and culture were the main culprits. Most nations have gone beyond the realm of humanity at some time. Even us "good guys" Americans have crossed the line with the Native Americans in the 1800's. But in many cases, former enemies can eventually become friends after some time has passed. The past takes time to leave the present.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mix up a J-pop star with a K-pop star in the wrong group and you’re done for.
I have been told K-Pop fans can be rabid.....
I just stumbled upon it. Korean peeps singing songs for Japanese anime.....and dolls from popular Korean groups....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, both sides in a war commit terrible acts. But that does not mean both sides are morally equivalent. What Japan did to the people of China and Korea or acts the Nazis committed cannot be compared to anything the Allies did by a long shot. They were magnitudes of order worse. Authority and culture were the main culprits. Most nations have gone beyond the realm of humanity at some time. Even us "good guys" Americans have crossed the line with the Native Americans in the 1800's. But in many cases, former enemies can eventually become friends after some time has passed. The past takes time to leave the present.
the Allies (the US in particular) made ready use of the information gathered from Japanese and German sources in terms of medical 'knowledge' garnered from unfortunate victims.
The space program is solidly grounded on German 'work' and Jewish blood.
the medicine behind space travel has the imprint of the victims of Japanese 'research'
The US did not commit these acts, but they handsomely profited from them.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Allies (the US in particular) made ready use of the information gathered from Japanese and German sources in terms of medical 'knowledge' garnered from unfortunate victims.
The space program is solidly grounded on German 'work' and Jewish blood.
the medicine behind space travel has the imprint of the victims of Japanese 'research'
The US did not commit these acts, but they handsomely profited from them.
Guess where the RDA values for most vitamins came from? Starvation experiments. And Werner Von Braun didn’t know who was building his V2 rockets? 🙄

Whatever atrocious things we hear about other country’s governments are doing, you can be sure our’s are doing the same! It’s important to say governments and not citizens… they’re not necessarily the same thing.

Anyway, let’s all be nice to each other…unless you have oil and we don’t.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Far be it from me to say what relations between Japan and Korea should be like, but one of the benefits of the existence of nuclear weapons (and I'm not saying that the positives outweigh the negatives, by the way), is that there will never be another Hitler, Caesar, Napolean, Genghis Khan, or... Hirohito again. We can't just go around conquering other countries and being reckless with war like we could before WWII, because nuclear weapons are keeping everyone in check. Hell, WWII and the Cold War forced Western European countries to shift their focus to self-preservation, leading to the decolonization of India and Africa.

That said, Koreans have nothing to fear from Japan.

I am, a bit, curious as to why the Japanese head of state still holds the title of "Emperor." If the Mexican or Canadian head of state or government adopted such a title, I'd consider that an act of war. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Far be it from me to say what relations between Japan and Korea should be like, but one of the benefits of the existence of nuclear weapons (and I'm not saying that the positives outweigh the negatives, by the way), is that there will never be another Hitler, Caesar, Napolean, Genghis Khan, or... Hirohito again. We can't just go around conquering other countries and being reckless with war like we could before WWII, because nuclear weapons are keeping everyone in check. Hell, WWII and the Cold War forced Western European countries to shift their focus to self-preservation, leading to the decolonization of India and Africa.

That said, Koreans have nothing to fear from Japan.

I am, a bit, curious as to why the Japanese head of state still holds the title of "Emperor." If the Mexican or Canadian head of state or government adopted such a title, I'd consider that an act of war. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Oh man. I don’t think this is true at all. We have some pretty recent examples of folks invading other countries and being pretty darn cavalier about war.