SGM Ed Parker, and his movies

R

RCastillo

For some time, I've tried to find movies of Master Parker, and they seem very hard to locate. Recently, I did manage to find one site that was selling a used version of "Kill the Golden Goose."

This version went for a whopping 70 dollars on VHS!

If anyone knows of a legitimate site, please let me know.(No Pink Panther, please, I want the serious ones)

Surely, they are valueable commodites, and somebody must be distributing them!:asian:

Thanks

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SGM Parker is listed twice in the IMDB, between them I think they list all his titles. I think I posted this elsewhere, but I can not find it.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Parker,+Ed+(II)

Ed Parker (II)
Birth name
Edmund Kealoha Parker
Date of birth (location)
19 March 1931
Date of death (details)
15 December 1990,
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. (heart attack)
Trivia
Instructed Elvis Presley in the martial arts. ... (show more)
Actor - filmography
(1980s) (1970s) (1960s)
1. Curse of the Pink Panther (1983) .... Mr. Chong
2. Kill the Golden Goose (1979)
... aka Kill the Golden Ninja (1979)
3. Seven (1979) .... Ed Parker
4. Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978) (uncredited) .... Mr. Chong
5. Seabo (1977)
... aka Buckstone County Prison (1977) (USA)
6. Money Jungle, The (1968)
7. Secret Door, The (1962) (uncredited)
... aka Now It Can Be Told (1962)

and here

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Parker+Sr.,+Edmund+K.

Edmund K. Parker Sr.
Miscellaneous crew - filmography
Perfect Weapon, The (1991) (kenpo technical advisor)

Mr. Parker Jr is listed here FYI
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Parker+Jr.,+Ed

Ed Parker Jr.
Actor - filmography
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (1993) .... Ed Parker

I imagine you may have some difficulty finding all of the movies with SGM Parker for sale... :(
I rented "Kill the Golden Goose" on video years ago. I told Mr. Swan and all he said was "I'm sorry."
There may be no "serious ones" :eek:
:asian:

OP
B

brianhunter

yeah I thought Ebay would be the place to pick the video up but they always magically make it to upwards of 50 dollars...I have never paid that much for a movie! I dont plan on starting now.....I did get the perfect weapon for 2.99 (5 with shipping)

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

yeah I thought Ebay would be the place to pick the video up but they always magically make it to upwards of 50 dollars...I have never paid that much for a movie! I dont plan on starting now.....I did get the perfect weapon for 2.99 (5 with shipping)

Sorry you got taken so hard on the Perfect Weapon!
:(

Ha, ha.
Just kidding. That was too good to pass up!
:rofl:

I need to watch that again. I saw Street Night again recently and it was pretty good.

It bugged me that "No gun, no knife, no equal" sounded so cool, and he uses a knife. By the way. Rent Black Rain and watch it right after the Perfect Weapon. I think they shot the same script!

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you, sir.
They were both done by Paramount... that tipped me off after I saw Black Rain.

Don't you think the plot and even some of the dialogue were nearly identical?
:shrug:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I found a copy at Saturday Matinee for 10.00, but they may not be in business any longer. On the other side of that coin, you may go to your local Blockbuster, or whatever it's called down there, and try to order/buy a copy of "To Kill the Golden Ninja". That movie happens to be a re-release of "Goose".

Dan

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

By the way. Rent Black Rain and watch it right after the Perfect Weapon. I think they shot the same script!

Years ago I used to watch anything where someone got their *** kicked. I went to Blockbuster and I hired 2 movies. I was called Blackbelt and starred Jerry Trimble, the other was called Dragonfire, I don't remember who was in it. The only difference in the story was in Blackbelt the hero comes from somewhere in the USA to LA. In Dragonfire, it is set in the future, and the hero comes from the moon to earth.

The story was exactly the same, even down to the choreography of the sex scene(extremely low level).

Do you know they wouldn't even give me a refund. It was like watching the same movie twice.

hehe
--Dave:confused:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Did you know that there are two versions of Perfect Weapon available? There is the standard one that we all know and love, but I have a different version, as well, one in which the girl, Mariksa Hargatay, interacts and has lots of dialogue with Mr. Speakman.

Don't know why that one wasn't generally released... It made it better.

Dan

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kiddies,
Seems he could throw his weight a bit :) I always felt Jennifer was just kinda...well there without any true purpose. A sequl to TPW would be cool too :)

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have multiple comments, I'll try be brief. :D

Do you know they wouldn't even give me a refund. It was like watching the same movie twice.

This was a COMMON Hollywood practice prior to Sound (the '20s) and even into the early Sound era (30s I think). The studios were doing 400 pictures a year in the 20's and they would often reshoot a good script. I mean, they had the writer on staff... why pay for another script? :shrug:

Did you know that there are two versions of Perfect Weapon available?...Don't know why that one wasn't generally released... It made it better.

I saw part of this on TV once. I think I asked someone about it and the word was that she just couldn't act. I remember thinking that there was scene before/in a garden... and it added to the film. According to the IMDB she is on a series now and has been busy since Perfect Weapon.:eek:

A sequl to TPW would be cool too

I thought about this once. I don't know how it might work, but he doesn't own the rights or anything, almost certainly Paramount does. He'd have to do something that he would own and not have to worry about the studio suing him. But you know all that waay better than I do.
:(

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually CD, just for the record. The young lady, Mariksa Hargitay, is the daughter of Jane Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay. She has been in movies and TV for many years, and is quite successful.

Question is still, why two seperate versions of the movie and how come ... The other one only seems to show up on TV? Seems that if she couldn't act, the other one wouldn't have been released at all. Just doesn't make sense, but ... on the other hand, I'm not a Hollywood Mogul either.:rofl:

Dan

OP
B

brentb

I have both Kill the Golden Ninja and Kill the Golden Goose, one off ebay, the other from another source, as well as tons of other Kenpo instructional videos, and most of the Speakman movies (there are about 8 I think), and some other misc. martial arts tapes.

Perhaps someone has something interesting to trade for a copy?

If you slow down fight scenes in K.t.G.G. you can see a young Larry Tatum, and other Kenpo seniors getting beaten up by EP.

Very cool.

take care
Brent

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86

Actually CD, just for the record. The young lady, Mariksa Hargitay, is the daughter of Jane Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay....

Question is still, why two seperate versions of the movie and how come ... The other one only seems to show up on TV? Seems that if she couldn't act, the other one wouldn't have been released at all. Just doesn't make sense, but ... on the other hand, I'm not a Hollywood Mogul either.:rofl:

Dan

I noticed that about Miss Hargitay in her profile on IMDB.

It is also common to re-edit a movie for TV because of the half hour blocks TV time runs in. In the theater a movie is however long and that is it. On TV, they have to make the movie come out to a certain number of half hours with commercials. So if a movie is maybe 1 hr 20 mins, maybe they will add 10mins of commercials to run it over 1hr 30mins. Or if a movie is 1 hr 38mins, maybe they will cut 18mins to give them places to put ads.

Without consulting my notes... this is a common reason movies are often "edited for television."

Also, on a similar note. It is not uncommon for a TV movie, or any other movie, to have additional footage shot so that it can be released in theaters in Europe. With TV pilots this happens pretty often. A 1 hour or 2 hour TV pilot may have some extra scenes shot so that it actually runs 1hr 30 or 2hrs and can be released in a theater in Europe.

Also, I think the most "profitable" running time for a US Feature film is about 1hr 20mins or 1hr 30mins. This helps maximize the number of times per day that a film can be shown and of course this translates into faster return on investment, bigger daily box office numbers, etc. I am going to guess that by cutting Ms. Hargitay's scenes, they got the Perfect Weapon down closer to 85/90 mins without compromising the story.

Interestingly, when you look this up on IMDB it does not say what the running time was in the US, but it does show 85-90 mins in different European Countries and in Spain they had 2 versions. One 90mins, one 22mins longer at 112mins. This longer version may be similar to the US TV version. I just noticed this. It supports my theory.
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0102655

And TV may also edit a movie to be longer so that you will tune into to see it. Like with Superman the Movie. They know you have already seen it, and they need a "draw" to get you to watch it again.

There are more details/resons... of course, but these are some reasons for what you have noticed. I hope this helps.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Hollywood1340

Kiddies,
Seems he could throw his weight a bit :) I always felt Jennifer was just kinda...well there without any true purpose. A sequl to TPW would be cool too :)

Exactly, who needs cheesecake within Kenpo. We got more important stuff to talk about.(You guys that are stuck on Mariksa, don't even think about firing on me, I got my kevlar vest on!) I'll bet she ain't even a real Kenpoist anyway!

I want to know about the "BOSS"(SGM Parker) and his work on video.:soapbox:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
A buddy of mine had a copy that was released only for the video stores to show as previews and it had an interview with SGM in it. Wish i could remember more details about it but I saw it like 6 or 7 years ago.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

I want to know about the "BOSS"(SGM Parker) and his work on video.:soapbox:

Mr. C addressed this in his QnA. There isn't much now, but more may come... :(

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

A buddy of mine had a copy that was released only for the video stores to show as previews and it had an interview with SGM in it. Wish i could remember more details about it but I saw it like 6 or 7 years ago.

This would be the Press Kit for the Perfect Weapon. I copied it when I saw it in college. It has clips, a different angle on the "mugging" scene, interviews with SGM and Mr. Speakman and Mr. Parker showing off the Ring Elvis had made for him... right?

That one?

I'll see if I can find my copy and check into the legalities of passing it around...:rolleyes:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

I'll bet she ain't even a real Kenpoist anyway!

She's not Ricardo, but some people have inquiring minds and want to know! And she is a lot better looking than Jeff Speakman! :lol:

Dan

Latest Discussions