Set group or normal class?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a twist on the other topic I started.
I spoke to a black belt friend of mine and he stated that he would rather have the same 10-20 students forever and never bring in new people. To get that, the group would have to stay in forever and no one would drop out.
Would any of you like a set group forever, or do you prefer the normal setup where people come and go and you always have a few beginners in the room?

AoG

Reaction score
It'd be boring to teach the same student mix all of the time. I'd want to keep as many of them as I could for as long as I could, but I'd also like to be able to add new students as well.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Students come and go - while I have a great core group of students who've been with me going on 3 1/2 years, I know that someday at least some of them will leave (if only because 1 is turning 14 on Friday - eventually she'll leave for college) - I need new students to maintain the class. Also, as students improve, they need to see others coming up behind them so that they can see how they've progressed, and can learn to teach. Ideally, I'd like to have all my students stay forever - but that's not realistic, so I need to have a constant influx of white belts to keep the class going.

Also, no matter how good the core group is... without white belts, eventually the class (and the art) will die.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well - I understand the urge... It take a beginner a certain number of years to have enough knowledge to really be able to pick up the fun stuff - and I of course would rather train that stuff.

Latest Discussions