Self Defense (Concepts v Reality)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was blaming the browser, but having just occured to me its the actual kindle, ive turned off auto predict and auto punctuation, not sure it will improve my spelling any, but random words and bizare use of commas may improve

Are you sure that's you?

It's almost written in English :p

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was blaming the browser, but having just occured to me its the actual kindle, ive turned off auto predict and auto punctuation, not sure it will improve my spelling any, but random words and bizare use of commas may improve

Ah okay, nah I quite enjoyed the style anyway, but there ya go, whatever suits [emoji14]

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have taken harder knocks than the vast majority of martial artists have in a fight, and got back on my feet - and that getting back on my feet was a much longer, harder process than getting up after what most people experience even after a fight in which they take a severe beating.

The vast majority of martial artists, are pretty phony, in my personal and very humble opinion :D

So I probably know much more about courage, and controlling fear, and certainly pain, than you do.

I doubt it as you seem to be an untrained fighter and probably very clumsy, and I mean that in a nice way.

There are 'martial artists' here who seem to think that the only people with courage are martial artists, and the only way to conquer fear and pain is by fighting other people, whether it be in the street or in the ring. They are wrong. If you wish to live your life with such a narrow vision, that's fine by me. But it's a sad way to be.

Nah, you've only fought untrained & clumsy people in the streets and got beaten by them, it seems. That's nothing to be proud of.

*Part of the reason I am willing to put it to the test is that I have taken two heavy falls on it since, and whilst both times I cracked ribs, the shoulder survived without injury, so some of the fear regarding that has been mitigated.

PS: if you think you take hard knocks in MMA, try crashing a motorcycle into an oncoming car at a closing speed in excess of 120mph ;) And yes, I still ride, and ride fast.

This is an argument? You crashed because you're not good at riding or something. But you didn't purposefully, intend on crashing that day at that exact moment. While walking into the ring/cage to fight another equally trained killer, is, and something that you're afraid to do. Fighters do this for fun.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, that explains it!!! To be honest I love the way everyone writes, everyone's got their own distinct style hehe. And approaches too!

@Kung Fu Wang and his lovely sequential lists, dot points, and cool strange training method videos.

@jobo with his stylised, uniquely spelled words, and commas where you wouldn't expect!

@Headhunter and his straight-talkin' ways with sometimes no need for full stops, nothing wrong with that!

@gpseymour with his rational discussion and great sense of humour.

@JR 137 with his honesty and cool stories.

@drop bear and his short, to the point answers (and cheekiness).

@Tez3 and her British humour.

@Buka with his warm kindheartedness, and always willing to welcome new people to the forum.

@Xue Sheng and his hilarious almost talking to himself dialogue (love it).

Me with my constantly starting a post with 'Ah..'.

There are so many more, but just something I admire about everyone XD
Ah! That does explain it. :)

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The vast majority of martial artists, are pretty phony, in my personal and very humble opinion :D

I doubt it as you seem to be an untrained fighter and probably very clumsy, and I mean that in a nice way.

Nah, you've only fought untrained & clumsy people in the streets and got beaten by them, it seems. That's nothing to be proud of.

This is an argument? You crashed because you're not good at riding or something. But you didn't purposefully, intend on crashing that day at that exact moment. While walking into the ring/cage to fight another equally trained killer, is, and something that you're afraid to do. Fighters do this for fun.

It seems they also get their brains mashed, lol.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look I'm 49 I lived in the inner city not in a good neighborhood because I didn't have enough money to move anywhere else anyway I was attacked 3 times getting off the light rail an lived through a home invasion with a broken arm an rib anyway my point is things happen when you don't expect I was a army vet took hapkido kav maga now kali I live in a great place now maybe I'll never need to fight again but I'm in shape an get people I dont get beat up every class maybe sweat but everyone needs that look at the health side as saving as many as the fighting an if you need it you have it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look I'm 49 I lived in the inner city not in a good neighborhood because I didn't have enough money to move anywhere else anyway I was attacked 3 times getting off the light rail an lived through a home invasion with a broken arm an rib anyway my point is things happen when you don't expect I was a army vet took hapkido kav maga now kali I live in a great place now maybe I'll never need to fight again but I'm in shape an get people I dont get beat up every class maybe sweat but everyone needs that look at the health side as saving as many as the fighting an if you need it you have it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to Martialtalk, Richard Henry. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Or even less bizarre;

I was blaming the browser but it just occurred to me its actually the kindle. I've turned off auto predict and auto punctuation. I'm not sure it will improve my spelling any, but random words and bizarre use of commas may improve

:)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or even less bizarre;

I was blaming the browser but it just occurred to me its actually the kindle. I've turned off auto predict and auto punctuation. I'm not sure it will improve my spelling any, but random words and bizarre use of commas may improve

:)

*it's

[emoji106]

D

Deleted member 39746

A saying i heard which i quite like is: "fighting is the art of improvisation"

Edit: apart from that the only thing i can say is, something which you can learn quickly, which you can apply in most situations and will use in most and dont need to consistently train other wise it will be forgotten, appeals to me given my reasons of interest. (but that's pretty much been established anyway, just felt like a cop out not adding more substance to this message. :p)

Yet another edit: I have noticed a lot of the sought after and regarded teachers for self defence have put them selves either on purpose or by chance in a job/position in which they can figure out what works at risk to themselves. (or they spent some of their life being a aggressive youth, so accumulate experience that way) Most of them have varying thoughts about copying their actions to do it. So that seems like it has a effect, if you tell people to not get into fights, to live a life of respect etc you wont accumulate actual experience in fighting another human to figure out what works. Or you get put in prison to not spread the teachings to other people. The question would be, how do you figure out what works if you don't put yourself in the position to test them in reality?

(plus these martial linges had to have started somewhere, so some person or persons at some point decided to start fighting other people in various contexts to find out what works and to tell other people what they have found in doing it. )

Those are my ramblings on the matter anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems they also get their brains mashed, lol.

Yeah this is why many people such as yourself can't handle it. And when an attack does happens in the street, by your own admission, you got the crap beaten out of you = you're not good at fighting.

Oh and let's not forget your other admission of riding your motorcycle at 120+ MPH on public streets, endangering the lives of other people all around you; yet you're so worried about our brains mashed by training something that you're obviously afraid of.... that only endangers ourselves and not unwilling families of motorists, pedestrians, etc... in fiery crashes that you've at least admitted to causing, one?

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well it's not at all dissimilar to a number of ma, but anyway a fairly advanced level of yoga, gives you Extreme strengh, so it will with our doubt help at self defence.

So big guys don't need ma, but scrawny guys do, wouldnt that suggest that scrawny guys may just as well spend their time becoming big guys
haha, this is good...
unfortunately I don't grow any more and gender (and genetics) stand in a way to become big ;)
But hey, it does not stop me from exercising and getting stronger :)

Well, no, I don't mean literally one technique - what I meant was a limited number of techniques, enough to give a range of options without confusing the student with over-complexity. Remember, I'm talking about initial training for the ready-use locker. What they are most likely to be able to use with no prior experience (I have Hanzou's daughter in mind here, and others in that situation, learning something for the first time).

Yeah, I can see that side too, lol. But again, what I mean is those techniques that the inexperienced have best chance with in the early stages of learning. Best place to hit to knock that knife from his hand, tips on applying a kick in the nether regions, that kind of thing, taught first. Of course you get better with practice and as you then begin to learn further techniques. But often, martial arts classes don't address those things first. Often, they don't come into a syllabus until much later.
I guess this depends on the school.
On my first class I was already taught on technics how to free myself from wrist grip or from being strangled the floor. Of course it does not mean I would be able to apply them immediately afterwards in real life

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it has changed, but every HS in my area had a wrestling team when I was growing up .

Unfortunately High Schools over here are not like the ones state side as far as sports are concerned ... Schools here do do sports. High Schools here as well as colleges and universities are more looked on as learning establishments, Yes the ones in states are too but the ones stateside have a broader specturm than over here. I guess that why when sportsmen and women make it big time here they really are good as they will have had to do most of it through their own graft and maybe being lucky if they get spotted by a sport that has lottery funding, There ain't the high profile college sports that there are stateside, The High School stuff well that ummmm is usually down to what teachers are there and what they want to do if that makes sense, if there are teachers interested in Rugby (excluding the private schools as they all do) then Rugby will be pushed (kinda) (and that depends on which area of the UK ya live in which code they push lol as yes there is more than one lol) mostly it Football (soccer) and in summer it Cricket or possibly athletics (maybe )
Kids stateside if they are sports minded really don't know by in large how lucky they really are that way (ok I'm sure there are exceptions like everywhere)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The auto predict and auto correct are aggressively bad, as is how it inserts punctuation. On top of that, I'm used to an iPhone, so I keep hitting the period next to the spacebar when I mean to hit the spacebar.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the blog I came to know many things about martial art and it is true that having knowledge about martial art is not enough. One should do practice for being a master and to gain full knowledge of martial arts.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well possibly, but let's take sandra,a petite pretty girl who wants to walk to get car after dark, are you saying that she should let her self get beaten up twice a week, so she doesn't get beaten up , nether sandra n or I can see the logic in that

It is my belief that, unfortunately, Sandra is just out of luck.

People who would attack a woman generally have at least done experience with violence. Where it was then fighting, victimizing others, our being victimized themselves, they've "been in the mix". If Sandra hasn't AND is smaller and weaker than them, realistically there is no special quick and basic training that can prepare her to prevail. Sure she can take some basics on getting kicking and eye gouging and it will edge her odds forward a wisker but barely. I think if a girl trains a "reality based SD" in which she never gets punched in the face or thrown on her butt then the first time she dis get punched in the face or thrown on her butt, by someone who is much stronger and HAS been punched in the face, it will not end well for her.

If someone wants to survive violent attacks by people who are stronger AND have some experience, they have to put in the work.... Real work because they are already trying to overcome a heck of an off set. Basically - in order for a woman to hold her own, even against the average guy, she has to be a hard core chick.

Sucks but there ain't no magic sauce. Stronger people have a distinct advantage. An advantage that CAN be overcome, but be honed skilled and str8 savage nature.

Companies have sold millions of dollars on exercise equipment that promises "results" with just 10 minutes a day, three days a week. That would be nice, it would also be nice if a girl could defend herself against a male without having out on the blood sweat an tears.

Handguns..... A girls best friend :)

Latest Discussions