Self-correcting???

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yet another post I am uncomfortably out of my element and hesitant to post, but here goes

I tend to do my best to avoid political discussions because they always end up divided along party lines and quoting dogma and add to that I admit I am incredibly cynical when it comes to politicians of any party and honesty But I was reading the paper this morning and this thought hit me.

Do you think the government is, by nature of its organization, self-correcting? That is to say something of a Yin and Yang balance? It can only go so far one way before it goes back the other way.

I am just wondering about this, I guess I am the one waxing philosophical today; I am not looking for a "which political party is better" discussion because I see no difference between them. They are, as far as I am concerned, both pretty much equally capable of good or bad government.

Thanks

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think government can be self correcting. However, the two political powers in the U.S. have done everything they can to insure no other party has a realistic chance on the national level. Even on a local and state level it can pretty tough for them to get on the ballot.

Perhaps instead of campaign finance reform, we should just do campaign reform.

Jeff

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean how one party is popular for a while, until there dirt starts surfacing, then back to the other until its dirt starts surfacing, and then back again?

Not sure if that is self-correcting, or just harder to hide things under a bigger spotlight ;)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that societies are gradually self-correcting. Their political institutions may or may not change in response to these changes.

Laterz.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You mean how one party is popular for a while, until there dirt starts surfacing, then back to the other until its dirt starts surfacing, and then back again?

Not sure if that is self-correcting, or just harder to hide things under a bigger spotlight ;)

Nope, nothing to do with political parties. That is the Chinese concept of the mandate of heaven.

For example If what I read this morning is correct and in my unawake brain I interpreted it properly The administration approves certain methods of interrogation that the Army can use and they respond with something that says that they will no longer use those methods.

One section of Government goes too far and another eventually responds in a way to get it back in line kind of thing.

And let me reiterate I am not talking political party differences I do not believe they are all that different. I am talking internal to the process itself.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe that societies are gradually self-correcting. Their political institutions may or may not change in response to these changes.

Laterz.

Actually this is pretty much how I see it, I am just wondering if possibly it crosses over to government itself.

Thanks

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What defines correct? No wait don't run just yet. This is a very valid question. Correct over all? Morally? Correct with in the bounds of law?
Society determines what is correct over all. Government belings to a society and also alters society. As such both mutually balance each other. Both are constantly changing thus what is coorect over all is just a mees. Morally... oh man the government and morals just don't belong together. Morality is for individuals.
This leaves the laws. Of course the government also alters the laws. As such, there must be balancing forces at work with in the government. Good old checks and balances. Of course there are problems with checks and balances as the governement can do annoying things to violate them. This luckily can work for good at times. Luckly, over all society gives the governemnt its power. So if the government oversteps it's bounds to far eventually societies will deal with the government.
Hopefully that makes sense.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think Jurgen Habermas would disagree with you.

Question, this is off topic I admit, but it's my topic so I guess its ok.

Jurgen Habermas, I know little about him and to be honest I just had to look him up to refresh my memory. I would be interested in reading a few of his books and I actually may have time to read one coming up soon. Are there any you recommend?

I was considering "The Divided West"

Latest Discussions