Blair stepping down means???

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am uncomfortably out of my element here and hesitant to post this, but here goes.

OK I admit it I know little about the government of England beyond the fact that the Queen, Prime minister and Parliament exist.

I was reading the paper this morning about Tony Blair’s promise to step down with in a year and I began to wonder what effect would that really have on the British government?

If the president (any president, not just the current one) said I am resigning with in a year and it was before his term was up, politically and as far as the population of the country goes it really would not have that much effect. The Vice-president would take over and it would be pretty much business as usual.

So what if any effect will Blair’s stepping down have on England?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know that is a good question. Maybe someone on the other side of the pond will see this post and respond. I think a more appropriate question may be "Why is he stepping down?"

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am uncomfortably out of my element here and hesitant to post this, but here goes.

OK I admit it I know little about the government of England beyond the fact that the Queen, Prime minister and Parliament exist.

I was reading the paper this morning about Tony Blair’s promise to step down with in a year and I began to wonder what effect would that really have on the British government?

His likely replacement's supposed to be capable, and dour.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
He's stepping down because he's become hugely unpopular with a large amount of the population. There's no theoretical limit to how long a Prime Minister can serve here, unlike US presidents. Ergo, he's massively out of touch with many people, and his govt have introduced some ridiculous schemes, quangos, and created more trendy lefty BS jobs that don't mean anything real.

His departure will likely mean either the introduction of either Gordon Brown current Chancellor of the Exchequer, and until the last few years, Blair's most trusted ally. However now, the two are barely on speaking terms, and talks of a rift between the top two men in power are common place in the gutter press and media in general in the UK.

I for one think it's time this current lot left power, as if they win a 4th term the ruination of the UK will be completed. Now. Let me make this abundantly clear, I am NOT a Tory voter. In some respects the UK has a similar "two party attitude", in that if you don't vote Labour well you'll "let the Tories (Conservatives (Republican equivalent)) back in!! Rubbish. There are many parties to choose from, and instead of voting on a ridiculous policy of "party politics" which is flawed from the outset, as if the party you follow is underperforming, what's the point in voting for them again, just because it's what you "always do"?

I vote with my conscience, and I sincerely hope that this idiot B-liar, that moron that sent me to a needless war in 03, is removed from power, and that his party follows suit at the next election. Forgive the rant, but such is the extremist view I now have of Blair and his party, and the state of the UK, that my family and I are working towards emigrating to New Zealand over the next 12-18 months. Great Britain? Pfft. Chav Britain more like. Interesting to note that record numbers of qualified professionals, doctors, engineers, IT guys, nurses, teachers etc are leaving the UK every year for different climes.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
His likely replacement's supposed to be capable, and dour.

Gordon Brown. There's a lot of talk as to whether or not he actually WILL replace TB. Dour he most certainly is. Capable? Perhaps at first, but he's managed to oversee a £57 BILLION shortfall in national pensions, and shows a total lack of imagination in his annual budgets. He's perhaps the best of a weak bunch. I'd rather see John Reid in power compared to GB. Failing that, I'm sure the Monster Raving Loony Party (an actual political party in the UK) would do as good a job.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gordon Brown. There's a lot of talk as to whether or not he actually WILL replace TB. Dour he most certainly is. Capable? Perhaps at first, but he's managed to oversee a £57 BILLION shortfall in national pensions, and shows a total lack of imagination in his annual budgets. He's perhaps the best of a weak bunch. I'd rather see John Reid in power compared to GB. Failing that, I'm sure the Monster Raving Loony Party (an actual political party in the UK) would do as good a job.

Heh. I'll defer to your first hand info. I was just repeating the helpful bulletpoint listing of his attributes that the local paper offered today. ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He's stepping down because he's become hugely unpopular with a large amount of the population. There's no theoretical limit to how long a Prime Minister can serve here, unlike US presidents. Ergo, he's massively out of touch with many people, and his govt have introduced some ridiculous schemes, quangos, and created more trendy lefty BS jobs that don't mean anything real.

His departure will likely mean either the introduction of either Gordon Brown current Chancellor of the Exchequer, and until the last few years, Blair's most trusted ally. However now, the two are barely on speaking terms, and talks of a rift between the top two men in power are common place in the gutter press and media in general in the UK.

I for one think it's time this current lot left power, as if they win a 4th term the ruination of the UK will be completed. Now. Let me make this abundantly clear, I am NOT a Tory voter. In some respects the UK has a similar "two party attitude", in that if you don't vote Labour well you'll "let the Tories (Conservatives (Republican equivalent)) back in!! Rubbish. There are many parties to choose from, and instead of voting on a ridiculous policy of "party politics" which is flawed from the outset, as if the party you follow is underperforming, what's the point in voting for them again, just because it's what you "always do"?

I vote with my conscience, and I sincerely hope that this idiot B-liar, that moron that sent me to a needless war in 03, is removed from power, and that his party follows suit at the next election. Forgive the rant, but such is the extremist view I now have of Blair and his party, and the state of the UK, that my family and I are working towards emigrating to New Zealand over the next 12-18 months. Great Britain? Pfft. Chav Britain more like. Interesting to note that record numbers of qualified professionals, doctors, engineers, IT guys, nurses, teachers etc are leaving the UK every year for different climes.

Thanks, I know little about the UK’s government and I was curious. It sounds like the UK is not all that different from the US after all.

As for voting I agree vote your conscience, I do. I never vote along party lines.

And, not that I would ever Rant, but nice rant.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
:angel: ;)

I don't think that his stepping down will make much of a difference to the "special relationship", which no Brit really believes in to be honest. Whoever comes in will be Dubya's lap-dog. :mad:

How much longer does Bush have in power by the way?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How much longer does Bush have in power by the way?

Next Presidential Election Date: Nov 02, 2008

And what is incredibly uncharacteristic for me is generally I just don't care because there is never that much difference from President to President.

But due to the current situation in the world and his occasional incredible displays of lack of understanding for other nations and cultures I actually will be glad to see this election come because he can't run again.

But who knows, the next could be exactly the same. I no longer believe that intelligence has any thing to do with becoming President.

And this political statement, as a matter of fact any political statement, is way out of characters for me.

Thunderstorm rolling in, must go.

Latest Discussions