Seek The Immovable Heart...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What exactly does Hatsumi Sensei mean by this,

and how does one develop an Immovable heart?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaack!

I could write a book on this and still not cover it all.

Tell you what, how about I reccomend some books by people who explain it much better than I can? You really owe it to yourself to read the masters on this instead of going on what some internet hack can scribble out.

Start with "The Unfettered Mind" by Takuan. I beleive Kodansha has an excellent copy at a reasonable price. Everyone I know who has read it reccomends it as highly as I do.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Aaaaaaaack!

I could write a book on this and still not cover it all.

Tell you what, how about I reccomend some books by people who explain it much better than I can? You really owe it to yourself to read the masters on this instead of going on what some internet hack can scribble out.

Start with "The Unfettered Mind" by Takuan. I beleive Kodansha has an excellent copy at a reasonable price. Everyone I know who has read it reccomends it as highly as I do.

Whats Kodansha? Is the book in Engish? Thanks!

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read a few pages on Amazon, it seems really interesting so I ordered the book. I'll let you know what I think, once I have read and, hopefully, absorbed it. :asian:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have a few more books to reccomend when you finish with that one.

Just as a side note, the Japanese term you are dealing with is "fudoshin." There is a lot that can not be put into mere words. But words can help you understand.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im hoping... this concept will help me. I carry a lot of anger in my heart, and no matter how I try, I cant seem to let it go.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Techno - for anger, please use the Jin Shin application we've been talking about on your middle fingers a lot - any time of day, especially when anger begins to well up.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Im hoping... this concept will help me. I carry a lot of anger in my heart, and no matter how I try, I cant seem to let it go.
you might want to try this program offered by my local church called "celebrate recovery." its really helped me alot with anger. i believe you can look for answers in a book but you might fine some of the reasons in you. you probably can find a church in your local area that offers the program.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fudoshin is a term referring to a calm spirit, even when faced with danger, without fear or confusion, that does not dwell or become fixed on anything.

Fudo = Immovable, not physically or literally, but in mind, one that is not captured, or moved, or dwells, or loiters on a thought or in a focus - a total un-obstructed awareness and focus on everything, thus not moving with, or fixed upon something (limited by a focused attention). The term is often combined with others as in Fudoshin or fudo-dachi (preparedness stance) and is derived from the Japanese deity Fudo Myo-O. It is also related to the term mushin.

Fudo Myo-o is a Japanese deity (also know as Acala), the God of Fire, a manifestation of the central sun (Vairocana), a fierce God of Indian origin although neither a Buddha or Bodhisattva. A male, he is usually portrayed as livid blue in color with a terrible facial expression sitting on a rock surrounded by flames, gripping a sword in the right hand, a rope in the left, teeth bared and with angry eyes. The deity symbolizes the mind that does not move, or the body that is not unsettled even when surrounded by danger. The deity was popular with the Japanese warriors (bushi or samurai) who saw themselves as guardians of order in a nation besieged with disorder.

Mushin:"Mu" meaning negation, "Shin" meaning heart, mind, feeling. Often translated (confusingly) as "no mind." A Zen term referring to that state of mental clarity and enhanced perception (sensory and intuitive) known as pure mind, produced by the absence of conscious thought, ideas, judgments, emotion (fear and anxiety), pre-conception, or self-consciousness. A product of Zen meditative training. For the warrior, meditation (towards mushin) was an important compliment to technical training. Through mushin the mind is not absent, but instead is freed. No longer inhibited, slowed, distracted, or clogged the mind was free to fully perceive, respond and commit to action. The mind is not fixed on anything and is open to everything; a mind expanded through the whole body with total awareness of and focus on everything. The concept was developed by Hui-Neng (Wei lang in Chinese), the sixth Patriarch, or successor to Bodhidharma, who brought to China (and the Shaolin Monastery from India) meditative Buddhism and the concept that all the world comes from the mind and meditation should be used to attain a state of pure mind without stain or dust. The concept is closely akin to the Taoist concept of stillness (inside) within motion. Lao-Tsu said "The stillness within stillness is not the true stillness (as in meditation), the true stillness is within motion." A term closely akin to Fudo and Fudoshin.

Your Brother
John

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don,

I just read thru that book for the second time since you reccomended it to me...

Thanks... the ideas in it are very good... I would say its a "Must read".

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Don,

I just read thru that book for the second time since you reccomended it to me...

Thanks... the ideas in it are very good... I would say its a "Must read".
Would you be able to tell us some about the book?
I just ordered my copy too, based on Mr. Roley and your opinion.

Your Brother
John

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you liked it. I did not know you had trouble with anger when I reccomended it. Has it helped in the area you wanted it to?

Off the top of my head, I think another good book in the same general area would be Thomas Cleary's "The Japanese Art of War". It is more like an overview with commentaries on many works and such from the era, including the book by Takuan.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
I heartily recommend "Moving Towards Stillness" by Dave Lowry.
YES YES!!
Good book, excellent author!!!!

I also recomend his book "Sword and Brush".
Also very good.

Your Brother
John

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Would you be able to tell us some about the book?
I just ordered my copy too, based on Mr. Roley and your opinion.

Your Brother
John
He talks alot in the book about "Not overthinking"...

Basically, in essence its about not allowing the mind to "rest" in one place by focusing on that place... i.e. In a fight, do not focus on thinking about your sword and its techniques, or you will be thinking of that as opposed to feeling the whole situation... etc.

Its hard for me to put into words... But I got the feeling he was describing... it made sense.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
He talks alot in the book about "Not overthinking"...
Basically, in essence its about not allowing the mind to "rest" in one place by focusing on that place... i.e. In a fight, do not focus on thinking about your sword and its techniques, or you will be thinking of that as opposed to feeling the whole situation... etc.

That's cool man.
Thanks
I really can't wait to read it.
What you described reminded me of my favorite quote from "the Last Samouri" w/ Tom Cruse

..."Too many Mind!"

Your Brother (lucky to have just one mind, and even that is disputed)
John

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
What you described reminded me of my favorite quote from "the Last Samouri" w/ Tom Cruse

..."Too many Mind!"

Your Brother (lucky to have just one mind, and even that is disputed)
John
haha. He talks about somthing in the book that reminded me of last Samurai.

He said if you think about having "No Mind" you will then be thinking of somthing and fail to have "no Mind".

So, of course I thought of Tom Cruise standing there going "No Mind, No Mind, No Mind"

J

J. Lee

Translations are difficult at best .
Bro. John's , explains FUDO SHIN

On a Hatsumi Sensei video another translation states:

" Beneath the raised sword is HELL , step in and paradise
awaits you " .

Faith ; the " BIBLE " has many examples of perserverance
from the Apostle Paul & the life of JESUS !

j lee

Latest Discussions