See you on the flip side

mvbrown21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Alright fellas,

I've thought about it quite a bit and I've decided to resign permanently from the WC forums. Don't want to possibly misrepresent my Sifu or Sigung. Just don't want to take the chance...

It was nice talking to all of you and good luck on all of your WC journeys!!

See you on the flip side...

Matt

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alright fellas,

I've thought about it quite a bit and I've decided to resign permanently from the WC forums. Don't want to possibly misrepresent my Sifu or Sigung. Just don't want to take the chance...

See you on the flip side...Matt

Hey Matt, if you check back in and read this, I will miss your input here, but I totally understand your position. I'm betting that a lot of us who continue on this forum are either newbies looking for a good sifu, or experienced folks who have lost or left their sifus or organizations. That's because if you are currently studying with a sifu, you often run into this problem.

In fact, now that I am teaching again and officially associated with a nationally known VT organization, I feel the same concerns. On this forum, it has been my pleasure to share some distinctly personal and sometimes off-beat opinions. Now that I am part of an association again, it's difficult to pose questions and float off-the-wall ideas without risking having my personal ideas be confused with those of my instructor, school, lineage, and so forth. Eventually, the time may come when I feel it's necessary to make the same decision as you have, and respectfully bow-out of further public discussion on this forum.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the rest of you guys are largely "on your own" so you don't have to worry about this problem? And, have any of the rest of you, especially if you are instructors or senior practitioners, encountered concerns over how you represent your system on forums like this?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to see you go Mr Brown (I have to say it like that still) as you had some interesting stuff to post.

Understand your reasons though and it is such a shame the world is like this.

Forgot to say Geezer, yep I am one of the ones who is Sifuless so I can say what I like, unfortunately I don't know much. I notice Kamon Guy doesnt come in any more, tried to PM him but no reply to find out why. He seemed to not mind what he said and he certainly was a representative of Kamon. Funnily enough when I spoke to Kevin Chan (Founder of kamon) he said he wouldn't come on forums as there is too much politics etc. And after a quick few posts David Peterson no longer comes on here, not sure of his reasons...he is a busy guy though. I know they are not here because of misrepresentation but as figureheads of their organisations then why worry about what their sifus say as long as its not BS??

Well Mr Brown you can always rejoin under another name and not tell anyone who you are or post any vids a la MJM, works well for him...or is it her??

Anyway, enjoy whatever path you take, and at least lurk in here now and again.

Cheers

Bully

Last edited:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright fellas,

See you on the flip side...

Matt

Matt,

If your teachers are so thin skinned they wont let you express yourself how you want, you need to find some new teachers. You don't represent anybody but Matt, and that's it.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt,

If your teachers are so thin skinned they wont let you express yourself how you want, you need to find some new teachers. You don't represent anybody but Matt, and that's it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pointless post - since he left.
???? Matt said nothing about his "teacher" being thin skinned- so the above comment is irrelevant and misplaced.Matt joined on his own and left on his own.

joy chaudhuri

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
If his leaving was based on him possibly misrepresenting his Sifu . Wouldn't that mean his dicision was based on an outside influence rather than his own? I agree with Eric, if you have to worry about every little thing you say or post . Then maybe it may be time to look elsewhere. Problem is when you make something to important you become a slave to that very thing.

Jake

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pointless post - since he left.
???? Matt said nothing about his "teacher" being thin skinned- so the above comment is irrelevant and misplaced.Matt joined on his own and left on his own.

joy chaudhuri

Joy,

He may not post but might still read, and it's not too far a cry to think that when someone says:

Don't want to possibly misrepresent my Sifu or Sigung. Just don't want to take the chance...

Someone told him he was "misrepresenting." *If* that's the case - that's messed up. If not, then this is obviously a non issue.

OP
mvbrown21

mvbrown21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One more post to clarify and then I'm gone.

This has nothing to do with anything more than my intent to be more thankful and respectful for that which has been passed down to me. I realized that I couldn't continue to put forth ideas or defend ideas without invoking my lineage in some way no matter how hard I tried otherwise. If I had joined this forum and never said who my Sifu or Sigung was, that would be one thing, but unfortunately I didn't. More importantly, I don't have the authority to share or debate these ideas. I'm not a recognized instructor of any sort. If they were my own ideas or concepts then it wouldn't matter. But they're not, so it's better for me to not express them and pretend I fully understand them in their entirety.

These are not rules or expectations that are imposed on me by my lineage. I have imposed them on myself.

Hopefully on the flip side, we'll all have the prefect understanding of Wing Chun....
:) see you there

Matt

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy,

He may not post but might still read, and it's not too far a cry to think that when someone says:

Someone told him he was "misrepresenting." *If* that's the case - that's messed up. If not, then this is obviously a non issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------
A non issue. Silly to probe and fish for reasons when he has given his own-his own perception.His kung fu brothers and sisters of his school dont go around telling people what to say.He joined on his own and left on his own. Sheesh.

joy chaudhuri

PS: A simple excerpt from Fong sifu's website:

• I have no designated representatives. No one speaks for me.
  • I do not endorse Fong's Wing Chun Instructors or franchised instructors at other schools. The Tucson school is separate and independent from all other schools.
  • Those who use my methods and ideas in teaching can do so freely. I will do what I can to help you. I do not require or expect any royalties or fees. The only condition is that you use your own name and assume all risks and liabilities.
  • Instructors from other schools are welcome to attend classes and seminars, however, attendance does not imply endorsement of a particular instructor, school, training method, or martial system.
  • Those who practice Chinese Martial Arts should show respect to their fellow classmates and teachers by understanding and using the traditional titles listed in the Chinese Gung Fu Title System.
  • ---------------------------------------------
  • I dont know what Matt's own sifu Vaght's site says.I doubt that he has any restrictions on what Matt says.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
One more post to clarify and then I'm gone.

This has nothing to do with anything more than my intent to be more thankful and respectful for that which has been passed down to me. I realized that I couldn't continue to put forth ideas or defend ideas without invoking my lineage in some way no matter how hard I tried otherwise. If I had joined this forum and never said who my Sifu or Sigung was, that would be one thing, but unfortunately I didn't. More importantly, I don't have the authority to share or debate these ideas. I'm not a recognized instructor of any sort. If they were my own ideas or concepts then it wouldn't matter. But they're not, so it's better for me to not express them and pretend I fully understand them in their entirety.

These are not rules or expectations that are imposed on me by my lineage. I have imposed them on myself.

Hopefully on the flip side, we'll all have the prefect understanding of Wing Chun....
:) see you there

Matt

Matt,

Best of luck, drop a line if you're ever going to be up in PHX.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really this is all a non issue. Who really gives a sh8t! I don't! Personally, I think he's fed up with everyone busting his balls over every little thing. I wish he had a thicker skin . I enjoyed his videos and post.

Jake

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Eric, that's easy for you to say. Jake tells me that you are another one of us who is currently without a Sifu and hierarchy of elders to think of. You can speak your mind without offending people who you respect.

BTW Jake also mentioned that you have an incredibly solid foundation... something that I have always struggled with... more due to bone fusions and traumatic arthritis in my ankles than any weakness in the particular WC/VT system I practice. It's just that my body has certain defects that make it impossible for me to bend my ankles and knees to drop and root... at least in the traditional postures of my lineage and most other WC as well.

--There, see that's not something an instructor is supposed to go around and admit publicly. We are supposed to try to impress everybody with how good we are, right? But what's the point of that when the truth comes out as soon as you cross bridges or spar with anyone else? I'd rather admit my faults and learn from anyone who knows something that can help. Whoops, there I go again. Admitting fallibility. Gonna tick somebody off fer sure...

Oh one last thing. Eric, I hear you got a source for some good dit dar jow. I'll be sending you a PM about that. I'm about out and I need to get ahold of some that works well.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve,
What's wrong with speaking your mind respectfully? This is not the former USSR. Are you telling me I should walk around on eggshells for fear of repercussion? I don't buy into this whole master crap . It's just a form of self enslavement bottom line. I refuse to give another man power over me. I will give respect though. But that's where it ends for me. If this means I won't learn the good WC . Then oh well . At least I have my dignity.

By the way Eric Sifu is Garret Gee. You misunderstood me. I said at the az kwoon they are si- hing's
Jake

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, who needs the good WC . When a .45 does the job better in a life and death situation. Gotta love the az gun laws.
"better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6"
Jake

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric, that's easy for you to say. Jake tells me that you are another one of us who is currently without a Sifu and hierarchy of elders to think of. You can speak your mind without offending people who you respect.

Haha, Steve, I've got a Sifu and I'm sure I offend him with some regularity :) One life lesson that my Sifu really helped me to learn is that as a person you only ever have one integrity - I'll give loyalty but I'd never give in to control. Already been through that situation in the past, not doing it again.

One thing Sifu told me when I was younger is that as a man sometimes you have to take a stand, you draw a line and if they cross it they get hit - just like our WC jong sao. So while Sifu doesn't always agree with the position I take, I know he's got to be proud that I listen to him.

Oh one last thing. Eric, I hear you got a source for some good dit dar jow. I'll be sending you a PM about that. I'm about out and I need to get ahold of some that works well.

On it's way, use it in good health :) If you need a tendon jow for your knees/ankles let me know.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sad to see you go Mr Brown (I have to say it like that still) as you had some interesting stuff to post.

Understand your reasons though and it is such a shame the world is like this.

Forgot to say Geezer, yep I am one of the ones who is Sifuless so I can say what I like, unfortunately I don't know much. I notice Kamon Guy doesnt come in any more, tried to PM him but no reply to find out why. He seemed to not mind what he said and he certainly was a representative of Kamon. Funnily enough when I spoke to Kevin Chan (Founder of kamon) he said he wouldn't come on forums as there is too much politics etc. And after a quick few posts David Peterson no longer comes on here, not sure of his reasons...he is a busy guy though. I know they are not here because of misrepresentation but as figureheads of their organisations then why worry about what their sifus say as long as its not BS??

Well Mr Brown you can always rejoin under another name and not tell anyone who you are or post any vids a la MJM, works well for him...or is it her??

Anyway, enjoy whatever path you take, and at least lurk in here now and again.

Cheers

Bully

Awww Bully, did you miss me??

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, providing the opinions expressed on here arent deliberately designed to misrepresent or upset individuals. If a person came to my class and then subsequently came on here saying it was crap, Id be disappointed, but Id respect them for constructive criticism. Especially, if they formed a well reasoned argument

Yet if someone came on here and started lying (which I know happened with one of our ex students on a different forum), then that would get my back up. We are here for honest insight into the martial arts world - good or bad. Its sad that some people are so afraid to comment on their previous schools. Certainly if someone were to discuss some of my previous training experiences (CKD for example), I would give it to them straight

And if anyone ever wants to chat privately about any issues worrying them, please feel free to ping me

Latest Discussions