Second Match Point Sparring

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same advice as before. Get offline, use your hands, throw combinations.

She's pretty good, but not aggressive enough here. Uses combinations. Punches a lot but doesn't protect her head when she does. She got away with it because you don't take advantage of that. It looked like a pretty light match otherwise, no one was wally trying too hard. Reminded me of a brown belt match, no offense. I get the feeling that if she had gone after you, she'd have eaten your lunch.

As always, thanks for posting your vid. Takes courage.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that you need to use combinations not single techniques. Many time your initial attack was way to far away causing you to lean you head forward ahead of your lead leg/knee in order to punch. Try using multiple kicks while advancing.
Thanks for posting and asking for comments, not many people have the courage to do so. Keep practicing and improving. I look forward to seeing your next match.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to get into bigger tournaments. Eventually, ISKA. I just don't want to be one of those slapping, skipping, flappy, hopscotch ballerinas I see all too often (in random online videos).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You were put in an unenviable position competing against a woman. Not fair to either of you, so I'll refrain from comment other than the competition director should never have let that happen, regardless of the numbers.

Not a shot at you, bro, not in any way.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that you need to use combinations not single techniques. Many time your initial attack was way to far away causing you to lean you head forward ahead of your lead leg/knee in order to punch. Try using multiple kicks while advancing.
Thanks for posting and asking for comments, not many people have the courage to do so. Keep practicing and improving. I look forward to seeing your next match.
There will be nothing for the next few weeks or so as I have a scheduled Dan testing in... holy moly, two weeks.

Latest Discussions