Score one for the good guys!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got word that one of my students and his girlfriend were involved in an armed robbery attempt yesterday. The subject confronted them as they were getting to their vehicle in a parking lot. He demanded their wallet and the lady's purse which was handed to him. The subject then put the gun to my students head which he promptly responded with a sidestep getting off line of the barrel while simultaneously grabbing ahold of the barrel and slapping the attacker across the side of his head with the other hand. He then grabbed the barrel with both hands turned back to face him ripping the firearm out of the attackers hands. The bad guy crumbled to the ground and was held there until the police arrived. He was lucky for sure but as he excitedly stated; "it worked! All the drilling and all the pressure testing you just never know but for me now I know it works!"
Fortune smiled on them that is true but still; Score one for the good guys!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice outcome. congrats to him and you for making it work. But readers beware no matter how skilled, something can always go wrong. Lucky this time everything worked out.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got word that one of my students and his girlfriend were involved in an armed robbery attempt yesterday. The subject confronted them as they were getting to their vehicle in a parking lot. He demanded their wallet and the lady's purse which was handed to him. The subject then put the gun to my students head which he promptly responded with a sidestep getting off line of the barrel while simultaneously grabbing ahold of the barrel and slapping the attacker across the side of his head with the other hand. He then grabbed the barrel with both hands turned back to face him ripping the firearm out of the attackers hands. The bad guy crumbled to the ground and was held there until the police arrived. He was lucky for sure but as he excitedly stated; "it worked! All the drilling and all the pressure testing you just never know but for me now I know it works!"
Fortune smiled on them that is true but still; Score one for the good guys!

Really well done. Sounds like he had no choice but to defend himself at that point and he did well. Wonderful outcome!

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update! They were fortunate indeed; come to find out the assailant was wanted for multiple armed robberies and has been implicated and wanted in connection with two murders.
My student said he was scared and willingly gave the attacker his wallet thinking he'd most leave but when he stepped behind him he thought 'this is bad' and when he felt the gun to his head he just responded.
Proud of him and very happy it turned out ok.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Update! They were fortunate indeed; come to find out the assailant was wanted for multiple armed robberies and has been implicated and wanted in connection with two murders.
My student said he was scared and willingly gave the attacker his wallet thinking he'd most leave but when he stepped behind him he thought 'this is bad' and when he felt the gun to his head he just responded.
Proud of him and very happy it turned out ok.

Perfect response, IMHO.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome.

Best to your student from us all.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great outcome, great training for the initial response to be hand over the unimportant stuff (wallet & purse). Never know these days what the bad actor might be goingto do next, so we can't really challenge his judgment by reacting the way he did and as Drop Bear said, Good on him that the practice went to good use. Excellent! Dangerous as hell though, I'm sure you talked with him about it. In the situation.... sometimes the quick initial response is exactly right, as was shown here. Could have been much worse. It is Always good to have Mr. Murphy looking the wrong way when something critical like this goes down. Still as you say, a good read and one for the good guys!

Latest Discussions