Sand or water

J

jgreen

I just bought a BOB (body opponent bag), and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed. It seems too easy to knock down. I filled it with water, but I want to know if any thinks that sand is worth the time to go and get. Will it make it more stable? Is it heavier?

Any other suggestions for stabilizing it are greatly appriciated.

OP
S

SteelShadow

Yea sand makes a difrence in my oppion it works better.
The water has a tendency to slosh even if it does alittle it can throw the balance off.Sand on the other dosnt move around it works best as a stabalizer..Just my oppion tho

OP
G

GouRonin

I think the real problem with many people and heavy bags is that they don't know how to use them properly. They just wail away as hard on them as they can. Of course it's going to fall over. If you're using it right then you should be able to control it and NOT have it fall over. Martial arts people in general don't use heavy bags properly. I suggest you go down to your local boxing gym and ask for some help. There is more to it than just hitting it.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by jgreen
I just bought a BOB (body opponent bag), and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed. It seems too easy to knock down. I filled it with water, but I want to know if any thinks that sand is worth the time to go and get. Will it make it more stable? Is it heavier?

Any other suggestions for stabilizing it are greatly appriciated.

Water- bob is an accuracy tool. You may also want to think about when a strike becomes a push.

OP
J

jgreen

I've been hitting heavy bags for more than 10 years. I do have an idea of how they work.

I am trying to use it as an accuracy tool. For punches, it works fine, except for the incessant sloshing noise (which, I guess is reason enough to try sand). The problem is kicks. I've seen and used water stand up bags before, and it took alot to get them over.

One side kick, and BOB falls down and goes boom. I do not know how the others were anchored.

OP
G

GouRonin

I've been hitting heavy bags for more than 10 years. I do have an idea of how they work.

Apparently not if it's still falling over. There's 10 years of yer life you must have been paying attention to something else.
:rolleyes:

For punches, it works fine, except for the incessant sloshing noise (which, I guess is reason enough to try sand).

The sloshing noise might be an indicator you have not filled it up enough. I have a warrior Wing Chun dummy that has water in it that I have to change to sand sometime soon. Same reason. Overall, sand seems to work better as it moves less easy.

OP
J

jgreen

No one ever accused me of paying too much attention.....but I never actually used a BOB. Slam man, other water based bags, but never a BOB. I had seen them on TV and such, but I figured I'd try it out.

The instructions (yes, I broke down and read them!!!!) said to fill it up to a certain line. It is right where the stem meets the base. My only guess is that this would prevent it from bursting when / if it froze in the case that you have it outside - it's in my garage. I guess it's difficult to freeze sand :)

OP
G

GouRonin

The instructions (yes, I broke down and read them!!!!) said to fill it up to a certain line. It is right where the stem meets the base. My only guess is that this would prevent it from bursting when / if it froze in the case that you have it outside - it's in my garage. I guess it's difficult to freeze sand :)

Mine is in my garage too. The water expands in them but as long as you leave some space it should be ok. I'm switching to sand soon too for the summer and some harder work. In any case think of it this way.

A truck carrying a load of water in it's tank cannot stop and not expect the water to not slosh around in the tank. This is one of the problems with stand alone bags. The water often carries it past a point where you want it to go meaning you have less control over the bag which can be good if you're still training specifically for reaction. However, if you're blasting like most people do it serves no purpose. Sand is denser and has more weight I believe with less movement and might help you get it under control as you work.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

The water fill is easier to knock down with basic punching, but in all, the base of the BOB is narrow and will always fall over no matter what you fill it with, especially with side kicks. I own one of the bags too, and it's filled with sand. It's easy to knock over. I apply more surface contact, pulling the strike to avoid knocking it down. It bobs around a lot, but I can keep it from tipping.

I also own some of the 6' standing bags which have a wider base and can take a stronger kick, although a full side kick will still knock it over. The only thing that won't would be a hanging bag that's anchored top and bottom. You can wail on that with no problem, if that's what you want to do.

WhiteBirch

OP
G

GouRonin

If you're knocking it over you're missing 50% at least of the use of a heavy bag or a stand alone bag. You just don't buy it to beat it as hard as you can.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Century has a new base for their bags it is wider and does not go as high therefore it will have a lower center of gravity. The bags are very easy to knock over, I have seen a child climb on one and pull it over. The old bases are too narrow and unstaible

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Gou???

Would you mind giving some insight to the purpose of the punching bag. I am curious as to what you are referring to as the other 50%.

Humbly,

JD_Nelson

OP
G

GouRonin

Heavy bags are more of an accuracy tool when you have them as stand alone bags. It's when you use them as hanging bags that they become more valuable. The average heavy bag is meant to take punishment but to swing and it's that swing that allows you to use your footwork to move yourself around the bag while punching at a realistic pace. The upper portion of the body learns to keep in time with the footwork and use proper body mechanics as it strikes a moving target. The upper body also should be using it's punches to "set up" other actions along with the footwork to get there. That's just a bit of what the bag can be used for.

Too many people just wail away at the bag with no serious intent as to what they are doing with each strike. This always struck me funny with Kenpo guys in particular because they are taught that each strike is a set up for another strike, but when you put a kenpoist on the heavy bag they seem to toss that concept out the window.

Heavy bags also come in different shapes, sizes, and weights for different use. There are also different excercises that can be done on them. People never wonder why sometimes a coach will hold the bag when a boxer is punching rather than just watch.

There is more to the art of boxing that many people know. Don't dismiss it because it's useful.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you Gou,

I have not really ever worked out on any type of heavy bag. I have taken a few shots at them here and there but lately i have just used them to test my wrist alignment.

First time I ever hit a heavy bag I had no training in any type of art, so i gave the bag a whack i decided i would never hit one again. But now, after a year of training, I can at least walk up to a heavy bag and give it a good hit without my hand or wrist hurting for a half hour.

Thanks for some of the finer points of bag work.

JD

John123john

White Belt
Reaction score
Try to check here some thing about stabilization and etc.
In my case, i just put him in my room, and make something like fasteners.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully he figured it out. He’s only had 15 years to come up with a solution, so maybe not.

I've played board games with a few people that would still be deciding.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sand! You'll be much happier.... until you have to empty it for moving.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No one ever accused me of paying too much attention.....but I never actually used a BOB. Slam man, other water based bags, but never a BOB. I had seen them on TV and such, but I figured I'd try it out.

Not to be a science nerd, but sand IS frozen unless you're at blast furnace temperatures.

Latest Discussions