Sanchin Kata - Conditioning and Applications - Video

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I study Meibu Kan Goju Ryu. When we do it, we maintain tension through out the kata. The first time Senseii showed me this kata, he had me push against him to feel the tension.

Now when we do it in class, we must raise a sweat just in the first time doing it. Even when it's the first thing we do, we must apply enough tension to raise a sweat.

The breathing technique is meant to seal off the lungs at the end of each move/technique.

--Dave :asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sanchin was not meant to be done that hard all of your life. Hence the name GoJu, hard/soft or hard to soft. External in the beginning then internal as you got older. Tensho was practiced more as we got older and as the training turned inward. There are health benafits to GoJu and a red face vain popping kata is not the goal to training. Sanchin is a wonderful training tool if done properly. I have seen this kata done by one of the greatest GoJu masters in the world, the late Masanobu Shinjo, of the Shobukan. Powerful and fluid at the same time. A perfect example of the true nature of GoJu.

Insley Stiles

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The people on this video are Kiyohide Shinjo and his brother Narahiro Shinjo. Sensei Shinjo is the head of our orginazation Uechi-Ryu Kenyukai. My Sensei's Sensei is Kiyohide Shinjo. I have been fortunate to train under both of these individuals a number of times, they are the benchmark we strive for. The beauty of Uechi-ryu is in the seemingly simplicity of the system. It is not for everyone, especialy if you do not like getting hit or having your conditioning tested. If you are interested in learning Uechi-ryu make sure to watch a few class and judje if it is for you, also not every orginazation trains in the same manor. Many have moved away from the body conditioning aspect presumably because there were too many injuries and they have lost the stomach for it. IMO the conditioning is what makes Uechi-ryu Uechi-ryu. If you have any questions related to the system I will do my best to answer them.

On a side note I have been training Uechi-Ryu for the last 7 years. I earned my shodan in 2004 and tested in front of Kiyohide Shinjo.

Well put Uechidrew,

I trained in Uechi Ryu for 13 years. I earned shodan in 1978 and nidan in 1985. I have since moved on to Kenjutsu but I still practice Sanchin, Seisan, Hojoundo (sp) and kumite when I can find a partner.

The Uechi Ryu Sanchin kata is certainly somewhat misunderstood.The tension that is put into the kata is not entirely constant. When blocks are focused and strikes are focused and while there is no movement going on, there is extreme tension. When movement is occuring as during blocking and striking, tension is somewhat released as it becomes difficult to move fluidly when all the muscles are entirely tense. Hence, hard/soft. Stepping is a little different animal in that there is a little more tension retained during stepping.

Breathing during Sanchin is of utmost importance although to try to explain it here would be a bit difficult. Suffice it to say that done properly, breathing will cause no damage nor will it increased blood pressure.

Conditioning is indeed one of the cornerstones of Uechi Ryu. It is something that helps to define the style. Being tested (struck, pushed, pulled) while performing the kata is as much a part of the kata as breathing or moving. Without testing during the kata it would not truly be a Sanchin kata.

Sanchin ultimately promotes stamina, focus, control, and overcoming obstacles.

Regards,
Ins