San Shou

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyoen here fight in San Shou, or have previously fought?
I'm getting ready for my first fight comming up in July at a huge tournement in Dallas. Some friends talked me into it, I've always kind of wanted to compete full contact, but just never had the right Sifu or trainer. I do now, so I'm going for it.

I'm just looking to hear some words of experience about it. I think I'll love it, but I would love to hear some stories about anyone experiences with it.

7sm

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Anyoen here fight in San Shou, or have previously fought?
I'm getting ready for my first fight comming up in July at a huge tournement in Dallas. Some friends talked me into it, I've always kind of wanted to compete full contact, but just never had the right Sifu or trainer. I do now, so I'm going for it.

I'm just looking to hear some words of experience about it. I think I'll love it, but I would love to hear some stories about anyone experiences with it.

7sm

I fought in a shootboxing tourney here (Tokyo). It's pretty similar. My only advice is to relax...and don't clinch unless you've got good throws or good defense against throws.

...and don't forget to come back and tell us what happened.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My advice is to train with a handicap on a regular basis. Let your sparring partner throw everything he or she has and while you focus on one aspect of your fighting - hands, feet, throws, trapping...ect. You can build skill with this exercise, but what it really teaches you is to get your butt handed to you regularly. It teaches you how to take a truly hard hit and keep coming with something. I've seen so many guys who would truly be dangerous because they have so much ability - fold when the first really hard strike or fall whacks em. (myself included at first) Oh sure, you can get lucky a few times. Say your skill level is far beyond that of your opponent. He might hit you a few times and you will still clean the ring with him. If you are facing someone of equal or greater skill though, a championship or something...Competitive fighting is mostly about taking a beating under pressure and being able to come up with something when your eyes are still crossed.

C

CloudChaser

i'll be rooting for ya, 7sm! good luck in July and try to come back in one piece, ok? ;)

the best advice i can give is to patiently watch your opponent's reactions, find the opening, and then take advantage of it! easier said than done, i know, ha ha...

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CloudChaser said:
i'll be rooting for ya, 7sm! good luck in July and try to come back in one piece, ok? ;)

the best advice i can give is to patiently watch your opponent's reactions, find the opening, and then take advantage of it! easier said than done, i know, ha ha...
Thanks, there is supposed to be some good competition there, so I'll do my best. I'm mainly going for the experience. Even if I lose horribly I'll still enjoy the experience. But I do hope to make it back whole!!

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone else here done any San Shou? I'm trying to find a good place online to find the most widely accpeted international rules for san shou. Anyone got a suggestion?

7sm

R

RHD

upnorthkyosa said:
My advice is to train with a handicap on a regular basis. Let your sparring partner throw everything he or she has and while you focus on one aspect of your fighting - hands, feet, throws, trapping...ect. You can build skill with this exercise, but what it really teaches you is to get your butt handed to you regularly. It teaches you how to take a truly hard hit and keep coming with something. I've seen so many guys who would truly be dangerous because they have so much ability - fold when the first really hard strike or fall whacks em. (myself included at first) Oh sure, you can get lucky a few times. Say your skill level is far beyond that of your opponent. He might hit you a few times and you will still clean the ring with him. If you are facing someone of equal or greater skill though, a championship or something...Competitive fighting is mostly about taking a beating under pressure and being able to come up with something when your eyes are still crossed.

Up North, I just wanted to say: Great Advice!

C

CloudChaser

as for training with a handicap, has anyone ever tried sparring blindfolded or only allowed to use one arm or kicking with one leg?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes in my class we have only been allowed to use hands and we have tried a a blindfold drill where you try and sense where your opponent is coming and try to use various strikes to attack and defend!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have coached San Shou and fought in unsanctioned matches. The first thing to tell you is that you have to train for endurance. Take the energy you have when you spar and cut it in half. That is what you will have when you get into the ring. The next thing is hands for hands, legs for legs. In otherwords, keep your hands up and don't block kicks with your hands. I agree with the advice to not clinch unless you have considerable experience in that range. One good knee will end your fight. Take downs are easy points if you get them, but they drain a ton of energy. The most important thing to remember is that try to make him fight your fight, but if you can't, then you have to be ready to adapt in the ring. I know people don't like to hear this, but San Shou is really akin to traditional Muay Thai and Bando. Train with the regimen and attitude of a Thai boxer. The key is cardio. San Shou fighters are 65% atheletes and 35% martial artists. At the very least, you should be intermitent sparring for about an hour a day 3-5 days a week and fitting in atleast an hour of roadwork a day everyday. Good Luck!!!

Latest Discussions