Ryan Gracie dies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from www.graciemag.com

Ryan Gracie dies
Fighter was in jail in Sao Paulo

"News to make the fighting world tremble. According to news carried by Globo TV, the black belt Ryan Gracie was found dead in the cell where he was being held at a police station in Sao Paulo after having been accused of car theft yesterday in the city of Sao Paulo. According to the Sao Paulo State Secretariat of Public Safety, Ryan was alone in the cell.

GRACIEMAG.com sympathizes with the Gracie family and should be back shortly with further information as to Ryan’s death."

10:24

According to the G1 news:

“Ryan was sent to the 91st DP, after having toxicology exams done at the central IML at around 2:30 am. He arrived at the police station in Vila Leopoldina at 3 am. According to the officer on call of the 15th Police District police officer Daniella Ranna, where the athlete’s case was registered for having tried to steal a motorcycle, he was sent to the 91st DP because it is a traffic station. From there, he would have been seen to the “most recommendable” location.

According to the SSP, at around 7am, when policemen at the station
were checking the cells with their detainees, they found the fighter fallen in a corner. They entered and confirmed that he was dead. At around 10 am, coroners were already at the location to do the necessary exams and send the body to the institute."

I really feel for his family.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
from www.graciemag.com

Ryan Gracie dies
Fighter was in jail in Sao Paulo

"News to make the fighting world tremble. According to news carried by Globo TV, the black belt Ryan Gracie was found dead in the cell where he was being held at a police station in Sao Paulo after having been accused of car theft yesterday in the city of Sao Paulo. According to the Sao Paulo State Secretariat of Public Safety, Ryan was alone in the cell.

GRACIEMAG.com sympathizes with the Gracie family and should be back shortly with further information as to Ryan’s death."

10:24

According to the G1 news:

“Ryan was sent to the 91st DP, after having toxicology exams done at the central IML at around 2:30 am. He arrived at the police station in Vila Leopoldina at 3 am. According to the officer on call of the 15th Police District police officer Daniella Ranna, where the athlete’s case was registered for having tried to steal a motorcycle, he was sent to the 91st DP because it is a traffic station. From there, he would have been seen to the “most recommendable” location.

According to the SSP, at around 7am, when policemen at the station were checking the cells with their detainees, they found the fighter fallen in a corner. They entered and confirmed that he was dead. At around 10 am, coroners were already at the location to do the necessary exams and send the body to the institute."

I really feel for his family.

Terrible news for the Gracie family. All my thoughts and prayers are heading their way!

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no good reports I'm afraid.

From Wrestling Observer

Quote:
Ryan Gracie was found dead in a prison cell this morning at the age of 33. Preliminary belief is he died of a heart attack. Gracie was arrested on Friday after allegedly stealing a car at knife point after punching a 76-year-old man who owned the car and stabbing him in the hand with a kitchen knife. He crashed the car into a phone booth and then a road rail. He tried to steal a van, but the driver was able to speed away. He then tried to steal a motorcycle. The driver hit Gracie over the head with his helmet and a group of people held him down and called police. Gracie, the so-called black sheep of the movie, was a veteran of Pride Fighting Championships. He had taken both antidepressant and anti-psychotic drugs at the time of his arrest. Before dying, he was drug tested and they found cocaine, crack and marijuana in his system.

From CBS news:

Quote:
The 33-year-old Gracie, who competed in several international ultimate fighting events, was arrested Friday after allegedly stealing a car at knifepoint, crashing it into a concrete wall and then trying to steal a motorcycle, police inspector Paulo Bittencourt said.

Bittencourt, head of Sao Paulo's 91st police district where Gracie was locked up in an individual cell, said that during the morning roll call Gracie did not respond.

"When I went to his cell, I saw him lying on his mattress," Bittencourt said. "He had no pulse and a reddish liquid was coming out of his mouth. It seems to me he died of a heart attack."

The Agencia Estado news service quoted Gracie's physician Sabino Ferreira de Farias as saying that, at the time of his arrest, the fighter was taking antidepressants and anti-psychotic medication.

Globo TV said Farias tested Gracie's urine shortly after his arrest and found traces of cocaine, crack and marijuana. Bittencourt would not comment on the unconfirmed reports, and Farias could not be contacted at his drug rehabilitation clinic

If anyone speaks Portuguese (I don't I'm afraid) here is a link to a Braziliasn news site.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
antidepressant and anti-psychotic drugs... cocaine, crack and marijuana...

I don't know what to say. I definitely don't feel bad for him. I feel sorry for his family, though, the Gracies seem to be stand-up folks for the most part, besides Royce's steroid issues.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what to say. I definitely don't feel bad for him. I feel sorry for his family, though, the Gracies seem to be stand-up folks for the most part

I agree, condolences to the family for their loss.

But, this happens everyday and no one feels sorry for the criminals that it happens to. Why is it that because he's a celebrity fighter it changes things.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I posted it up on here was because I felt that while it was very sad for his family it wasn't really right to post it as a memorium. I think sometime being a 'celebrity' seems to skew peoples thinking, a criminal is a criminal, they don't get excused just because they are famous. I do feel for his family though,it's a sheer waste of a life .

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
What a shame and needless waste of life and talent....I do have the Gracie family and Ryan's soul in my prayers. Its unfortunate to die at such a young age.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While this is indeed very sad for his family and friends, I don't really understand the animosity towards someone obviously having big problems, possibly completely beyond their control. Doctors generally don't hand out anti-depressants to just anyone, and anti-psychotics are usually reserved for people with fairly profound emotional issues. I'm not condoning robbing and stabbing people here (obviously), but it seems on the face of it that Ryan Gracie had a deeply troubled life and likely a rather miserable day to day existence. I've seen depression destroy good friends of mine and it's terribly sad to see; I can't imagine a friend or family member battling depression and psychosis.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While this is indeed very sad for his family and friends, I don't really understand the animosity towards someone obviously having big problems, possibly completely beyond their control. Doctors generally don't hand out anti-depressants to just anyone, and anti-psychotics are usually reserved for people with fairly profound emotional issues. I'm not condoning robbing and stabbing people here (obviously), but it seems on the face of it that Ryan Gracie had a deeply troubled life and likely a rather miserable day to day existence. I've seen depression destroy good friends of mine and it's terribly sad to see; I can't imagine a friend or family member battling depression and psychosis.

My question is, why is someone like this participating in MMA competition? I would think that a more calming activity would be in order to balance such psychological issues. Maybe he should have tried Tai Chi.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think someone with issues needs to fit in and see there's a chance for a normal life, not find something to put even more distance between themselves and the people that surround them. I think if you're a Gracie, it's JJ or.....I don't know...piano maybe?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think someone with issues needs to fit in and see there's a chance for a normal life, not find something to put even more distance between themselves and the people that surround them. I think if you're a Gracie, it's JJ or.....I don't know...piano maybe?

Well, I don't think that it helps when your family is almost entirely professional fighters, who kick, punch, and choke each other all day long.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really sad, I guess it's easy to judge.
My thoughts go out to him and his family.

Many years ago, while working security at a hospital. A guy in his 30's came in, complaining that someone had done black magic on him and he was dying of cancer caused by parasites.

It turned out he had crashed his truck, tried to steal another car, crashed that too and took a taxi to the hospital.
I can't forget how completely normal he appeared and yet how deranged he was.
Sickness is sickness not criminality. It's sooo easy to judge.

Just truly sad.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be easy to judge but you also have to see both sides of this. It's fine to feel compassion for someone who is mentally ill, illness is illness and no ones fault. Actually doctors do readily hand out anti depressants, like sweets in a lot of cases and we don't know why Ryan was diagnosed psychotic perhaps it was because of drug use? We don't know that he was miserable or troubled, we do know however he was found to have used drugs. I believe this wasn't the first criminal incident he'd be involved in.
It would be better to reserve judgement rather than complain people are judging harshly. How traumatic it must have been for the old man Ryan allegedly attacked and stabbed? And for other of ryan's victims? We'd be better waiting till more facts come to light first.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, this happens everyday and no one feels sorry for the criminals that it happens to.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect about your above statement. I do feel "sorry" for the criminal as well. They have no more chances to repent of their sins, and therefore will stand before GOD covered in the filth of their sins. I am sure if they considered eternity at all they thought that they would some day make things right with The Lord Jesus, but like so many of us some day never comes to our eternal detrement. May The Lord Jesus comfort all concerned.
1stJohn1:9

Latest Discussions