Rules in sparring competition!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm asking this for a friend.

Is it illegal to use different styles of fighting in a sparring tournament, such as a block from wing chung? Or do you have to use only Tae Kwon Do techniques?
Can you make animal noises? or distraction noises?

Regards
Nick

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what it is you're doing. As far as WTF-authorized rules, they tend to be hazy regarding blocking. My advice would be: do so at your own risk. Blocking requires you to stop for an instant to execute the block. Not really recommended when the guy is coming at you at 100 mph. In the time it takes you to execute a block, your opponent would be clobbering you with non-stop technique. One of the reasons WTF sparring moved away from traditional strike-block-strike sparring.
As far as making animal noises (a la Bruce Lee) or other vocal intimidation methods: absolutely you will be penalized. Any vocal methods other than a kiup is grounds for penalization. This extends to ANYONE associated with the fighter (coach, teammates, parents etc.).

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
MichiganTKD said:
Depends on what it is you're doing. As far as WTF-authorized rules, they tend to be hazy regarding blocking. My advice would be: do so at your own risk. Blocking requires you to stop for an instant to execute the block. Not really recommended when the guy is coming at you at 100 mph. In the time it takes you to execute a block, your opponent would be clobbering you with non-stop technique. One of the reasons WTF sparring

I don't mean to be picky here, but what exactly do you mean by "stop"? It's not that hard to keep moving while you block, or even kick simultaneously. Did you mean that actively blocking stops your overall momentum towards attacking?

I'm a bit hazy on some of the WTF rules myself, but I think so long as you stay away from limb destructions or blocks that double as strikes (i.e. ramming your elbow into your opponent's ankle on a side kick) their aren't really any defined illegal blocks.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice would be this: if you think you can get away with executing a wing chung or other style block while an opponent is coming at you full speed, you're more than welcome to try. I just don't think your typical wing chung blocking or trapping technique is going to be much use against a WTF tournament fighter. Too much speed and momentum. I'm not knocking wing chung BTW.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In WTF, sparring, there is no grabbing or trapping of limbs. Competition would stop and the competitor would be warned if not penalized. Don't try to block a sidekick with a hand technique either, its not really effective. Its too hard and fast usually in TKD. TW

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember back in the 80's when teh WTF exploded all around the world, and since then their rules have changed about as much Michael Jackson changes his appearance. I used to compete in WTF tournaments event though I am a Kenpo practioner, and I noticed the bias very quickly. They hated my black uniform, they hated my kata, especially when I won. and they really hated it in sparring when I would knock over my opponent with a solid punch to the chest.

Over the years I saw the WTF tournament scene change, Sparring became the only thing important. Forms competition was rushed, childrens, and under belts were rushed just so they could get to the Black Belt sparring. They missed the point that the the under belts and the children are the future of the art and that they need to be showcased as much if not more than anyting else at the tournament.

As for blocking in TKD tournaments, I haven't seen much of it. And the noises are really discouraged. If your friend is attending a WTF event he should be ready to follow the rules set forth by the tournament host to the letter, or he will end up wasting his money.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe there is an issue with making "noises" in the ring. Speaking is not permitted however. I personally would warn at making excessive "noises" to try and distract your opponent, especially if the coach or competitor is experienced, you might just get kicked for opening your mouth. Focus on the attack and defense, and noise will just come.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is also the Instructor and/or coach's job to make sure their student is aware of what is and isn't permitted. If a competitor is making verbalizations, noises, and/or trying prohibited activities, it is as much the coach's fault for not making sure they know the rules. Anytime I see a competitor disobeying the rules with obvious willfull intent, I blame the coach or Instructor as much as them.

T

TKD USA

MichiganTKD I don't agree even if the instructor tells them many times some people just wont listen.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD I don't agree even if the instructor tells them many times some people just wont listen

As a coach I wouldn't let the person compete then. If I have a competitor in the ring, willfully not following the rules and spirit of the game, I have no problem telling them that was their last match of the season until the have a "better" understanding of the rules and regulations.

The coach still has final say whether a person competes or not.

Latest Discussions