Rickson Gracie claims that he stopped online blue belts at Gracie U.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So in an interview with Tatame magazine, Rickson claims that he was the one who convinced his nephews Rener and Ryron Gracie to stop promoting people to blue belt online;

Rickon:

It’s absurd. There can be no online belt promotion. After I read an article on Rener Gracie talking about Gracie University, saying that he promoted online students to blue belt, I had a confrontation with him. I said that if he continued to do this, I would denigrate his image, saying that he was a charlatan. And after that, he reconsidered, and thought that the idea did not make sense anymore. The blue belt is the most important Jiu-Jitsu. White to blue, it is the stage of enlightenment. The blue belt needs to be a confident guy that is a tough guy that can handle an aggression. And for that, he can not get a belt over the Internet.”

Rickson Gracie Convinces Rener to Stop Online Blue Belt Promotions; Threatens to Call Him a “Charlatan”

Afterwards, Gracie University offered a technical blue belt, with practitioners being able to test for a full blue belt with a certified instructor.

Interesting to say the least.
[/FONT]

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation. Lot of passion in that family, and like all families everywhere, friction, too.

Somehow I get the feeling that Rener's ear probably picked up the word charlatan with a different pronunciation. Like **** whoopin. :)
Always a good idea to listen to the big dog.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does Rener train out of Rorion's dojo in Torrence?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is still marketing vs marketing though. Online makes the brand more available but less exclusive.

So you change the belts to generic and premium.

Regardless. the amount of blue belts out there is going to mean more blue belts will be softer than butter.

I was going to get mine online for giggles. And then just sandbag people.