Regarding diverse approaches to WC...

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody else ever play the WC spelling game? How many ways can you think of to spell WC? I'll start: Wing Chun, Ving Tsun, Ving Chun, Wing Tsun, Wingtsun, Wing Tzun, Wing Tjun, Wing Txun, Wing Tshun, Wing Tchun, Uingchun, Huingchon, Weng Chun, ....everybody Wang Chun tonight?

I'm surprised nobody just uses the Yale or Jyutping romanization systems for Cantonese, which would be like Wing-cheun and Wing Ceon without tone marks.

The standard Yale Romanization is what I always use, minus tone marks, e.g.; taan-sau, jat-sau, hyun-sau, Siu-nim-tau... Wing-cheun-kyun.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to spelling, does it really matter? It is marketing. Marketing and stylistic differences. If it works for you great. Force against force is not WC. Structure against structure and attempting to enforce yours against the other is not WC. It is about intercepting and redirecting the force through use of your structure; if you are overpowered then yield and or move your structure. I think diversity is good. It makes me look at situations from different perspectives.
There is no right or wrong just the consequence.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Showing your age ... :p bet you some don't even know it's not MA related.

Time for a history lesson:

Now whre was I? oh yes... Winchun, Yong chun, JKD, ...oh wait, scratch that last one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently ran into this video;
Clive Potter discussing the relevance of Tia Chi ideas into Ving Tsun. It's a long video but I really enjoyed it.

My first wing chun Sifu said " all MA will look the same at there highest level." He went on to explain that if you do something long enough. That eventually you will do things in the most efficient and direct way possible. A Martial art should always grow.

I believe this. I think most Martial artist do too, outside of WC community. There a stubborn bunch! This is why I distance my self from The cult oops.. I mean community. Even though Wing Chun is the only art I know/ think I know.

This is directed to Geezer/Steve. I think Jeff DTE gets it. That's why he teaches principles that apply to any MA. He didn't try and sell me eskrima as a system or the only way. He knew I had WC background. So he taught me how to enhance and make thing more direct and effortless in my WC. That's a good teacher who knows what's up. Matter fact he told me he hates Wing Chun. So I give him credit for even taking me in as a student!

Back to video I think Clive gets it and his VT is at a higher level than most. Allan Orr gets it so on so on. Ok enough nut swinging.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions