Rant...Inappropriate Music at the UFC Gym

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I go to a UFC gym. On weekends when there are no classes but the gym is open, trainers/coaches often put on their own music for their own workouts. When the music has profanity, I ask them to play music without profanity. Typically they hesitate but change it. It's happened at least a 1/2 dozen times.

This weekend, the answer was "Well the trainer said if anyone complained to see him."

I said "oh, I have enough enemies. But here's my logic. When you have a poster of a man, woman, and kid on your window, that's your target market. You play profane music, a woman comes in with her kid, and she quickly says "oh, this isn't the place for me and little Johnny".

The staff's response was, "well that's one customer. I'm more focussed on pleasing my co-worker than 1 customer."

My retort was, "well, I guess I have a different perspective. I would be wanting to sign up everyone who walks in the door".

I've said before that "it's common business sense to not play profane music. Would the store next door play "f___ this, n...that," when they also have a poster of a family in the window?"

Ug...I find this gym so frustrating, because I want it to succeed, but people seem to lack desire or common sense.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would a little kid be coming into a ufc gym open session with mainly adults..lm assuming they have separate kids classes but I very much doubt an 8 year old is going to come to an open gym session full of adults

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would a little kid be coming into a ufc gym open session with mainly adults..lm assuming they have separate kids classes but I very much doubt an 8 year old is going to come to an open gym session full of adults
That is because the Gym is OPEN and open to anyone who may be coming in to inquire about training, open to all members who may want to train. There are no classes but any member can come in and workout. A new perspective clients come in to check out the gym, the atmosphere, the equipment, what classes are available.
I agree the profane music in the gym is not conducive for new business especially if they are targeting family oriented persons.
Now if it is a back room closed to general members and for fighters only that may well be different.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have gone into fast-food restaurants when there was not much crowd and the workers were playing whatever music they preferred over the sound system; sometimes it has been more than a little bit obscene.

Knowing what complaining would get me, especially if my food had not been prepared yet, I simply chose to leave. I dropped an email to the management later. No point in making a scene at the time or arguing with the people who clearly want the music to be played. If management doesn't choose to address the issue, I just don't go back. They are free play whatever music they wish. I am free not to buy their products again.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I go to a UFC gym. On weekends when there are no classes but the gym is open, trainers/coaches often put on their own music for their own workouts. When the music has profanity, I ask them to play music without profanity. Typically they hesitate but change it. It's happened at least a 1/2 dozen times.

This weekend, the answer was "Well the trainer said if anyone complained to see him."

I said "oh, I have enough enemies. But here's my logic. When you have a poster of a man, woman, and kid on your window, that's your target market. You play profane music, a woman comes in with her kid, and she quickly says "oh, this isn't the place for me and little Johnny".

The staff's response was, "well that's one customer. I'm more focussed on pleasing my co-worker than 1 customer."

My retort was, "well, I guess I have a different perspective. I would be wanting to sign up everyone who walks in the door".

I've said before that "it's common business sense to not play profane music. Would the store next door play "f___ this, n...that," when they also have a poster of a family in the window?"

Ug...I find this gym so frustrating, because I want it to succeed, but people seem to lack desire or common sense.

I see your point that this kind of music might deter potential clients. I also agree that from a business standpoint it's not a great idea. However; if it's the gyms policy that the trainers can play whatever music they want, then that's their facility and they can do so. If it's not their policy and the staffer was just appeasing their co-worker, then I would contact the owner of the facility and ask him if that's acceptable. Employees in general start to think that where they work is There business and make decisions that they don't have the authority to make. Check with the owner and see what he/she says.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
However; if it's the gyms policy that the trainers can play whatever music they want, then that's their facility and they can do so.
I doubt it's the policy, as there can be all sorts of issues in terms of copyright as well.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No point in making a scene at the time or arguing with the people who clearly want the music to be played. If management doesn't choose to address the issue, I just don't go back. They are free play whatever music they wish. I am free not to buy their products again.
Yup, I went in today to work out, and everyone is very friendly. If I were to push it, that may not be the case next time.

I think when something bothers someone, it's two fold: what the annoyance it, and how you perceive it.

I think I will resolve to not let the music or anything else bother me. "If that's what they want, so be it".

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I doubt it's the policy, as there can be all sorts of issues in terms of copyright as well.
there is no copywrite infringement i am aware of playing music. listening to music is its intended purpose.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is no copywrite infringement i am aware of playing music. listening to music is its intended purpose.
But playing it publicly may or may not be. Kind of like the FBI warnings about showing a movie. But it's really a worthless argument anyway.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Not really, no one is paying to listen to the music. The one playing the music already purchased it. The same thing goes for a salon or barbershop that plays a movie on the tv for customers. No one is paying the barbershop for playing the movie, thus copyright infringement doesn't apply.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, no one is paying to listen to the music. The one playing the music already purchased it. The same thing goes for a salon or barbershop that plays a movie on the tv for customers. No one is paying the barbershop for playing the movie, thus copyright infringement doesn't apply.

Not copyright as such but performing rights covers thing like playing recorded music in public and will apply in a gym so they are breaking the law if they haven't paid for a licence.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. This is a problem. People need to think about who they want as clients/students and realize that in most places, they have options. The place I train GJJ right now is a good example of this. It's the best place to train in town but, since the instructor drops F bombs on a pretty regular basis, when my son is old enough to train, I will be taking him to a place with a dedicated kids class that does not have that going on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most businesses have no idea about the licensing issues from just playing a radio where customers can hear it. A surprising number of folks in the pro audio world don't even understand some of the issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's a licensing issue. If music is played where customers can hear it (as in this case), the site (in most cases - sometimes another party) is required to pay for licensing. It's not terribly expensive, but it is a cost.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a copyright issue, but a licensing one. Even if folks aren't paying to hear the music, a license is required. That applies to barber shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. - even if it's playing a publicly broadcast radio station. Licensing for television appears to be handled differently - I'm not familiar with that area.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a copyright issue, but a licensing one. Even if folks aren't paying to hear the music, a license is required. That applies to barber shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. - even if it's playing a publicly broadcast radio station. Licensing for television appears to be handled differently - I'm not familiar with that area.

We have to have licences to play music at MMA fight shows, any type of music including fighters own copies of their entrance music. We pay a central organisation which then sorts out the various royalties etc.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, I am watching Hired Gun about studio musicians, and Ray Parker Jr said it's better to have a classic song than a number 1 hit. I never thought of it that way, but I am sure Ray Parker Jr's royalty cheques are healthy every Halloween.

Hired Gun (2016) - IMDb

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, I am watching Hired Gun about studio musicians, and Ray Parker Jr said it's better to have a classic song than a number 1 hit. I never thought of it that way, but I am sure Ray Parker Jr's royalty cheques are healthy every Halloween.

Hired Gun (2016) - IMDb
I've never seen that movie, but if you mean classical music I've heard the same thing. I can't remember exactly the logic, but I think it was basically music increases your adrenaline, and when you are learning to fight you shouldn't be relying on your adrenaline for it.

Latest Discussions