Quick question about empi

theriverrat

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the correct name for the rising punch in empi? Thanks in advance.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what system is teaching it, and what punch is specifically used.

Some systems might call it "age-tsuki."

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is what we call it, for a rising punch. We use Wansu(the Okinawan version), but are we talking the "hidden fist punch?" If yes, we call it Kakushi-tsuki.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jon,
I use Wansu well in my system but though I knew about the hidden fist didn't realize thats what it was called.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard it refered to as Jodan aze tsuki. In the empi version it is aimed at the vital point on the chin. In the wansu version it is aimed at the point on the chest just below the pectorial muscle, I have seen others interpret it as a strike to the point in the arm pit.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have done it striking to the armpit also.

Ditto for me. The only difference I normally use is the vertical fist. It comes from the influence of I-ryu that I picked up years ago. With the vertical fist the second knuckle on the thumb can pop the axillary nerve and be quite painfull, almost to the point of making the arm useless for a pretty good period of time.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
This technique is one of the original techniques described in the Bubishi. If you use the bubishi as a reference guide. You will see the exact points that I am talking about. We are talking about the first punch in the sequence , right after gedan barai, not the punch used after the toriteuke correct?