Questions about Shotokan competitions: Then vs now

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really hope Karate Combat makes it. We have a few friends involved in it but also really enjoy watching it.

They have an event coming up in two weeks in New York that should be fun to watch.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's clearly still in its infancy, but I thought Olympus was a much more polished event than Inception, and I'm looking forward to more refinement (and less of the referee calling for action because of a 0.1-second lull in striking).

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seriously, before there was karate combat thought about starting something similar in the Cincinnati area, but much less limiting. The people who want to partner with me though dont see completely eye to eye...like one wants to do in a cage and others are against the use of a kimino

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd never give any consideration to screaming while scoring - but if someone is completely emotionally absent while doing their form, my scoring would probably reflect that.

I know what you meant, but for some reason I just had a picture in my head of you sitting at the judges table screaming while you wrote down their scores ... :D

It's funny also because in the traditional Japanese sword arts, emotion is considered detrimental to your focus and should be avoided completely.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you meant, but for some reason I just had a picture in my head of you sitting at the judges table screaming while you wrote down their scores ... :D

HAHAHAHA... thanks for the laugh.. [emoji1787]

It's funny also because in the traditional Japanese sword arts, emotion is considered detrimental to your focus and should be avoided completely.

And yeah that's interesting, and I have wondered about that. I love when there's real emotion just exploding out of someone in a performance, to me it makes it more real and meaningful. But I understand the Zen-like focus and discipline of not letting them control and overwhelm you as such..

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes, but there is a certain understated intensity to Japanese Sword Arts. You can almost feel it, almost reach up and snatch it out of the air. I enjoy Japanese sword arts over all others.

I never screamed while judging, but I did get up once and applaud. I'd do it again, too. It was fricken' awesome.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but there is a certain understated intensity to Japanese Sword Arts. You can almost feel it, almost reach up and snatch it out of the air. I enjoy Japanese sword arts over all others.

I never screamed while judging, but I did get up once and applaud. I'd do it again, too. It was fricken' awesome.
When I see the sword arts demoed (I’m assuming properly), I think they’re letting their passion and intensity show rather than their emotions, if that makes any sense.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA... thanks for the laugh.. [emoji1787]

And yeah that's interesting, and I have wondered about that. I love when there's real emotion just exploding out of someone in a performance, to me it makes it more real and meaningful. But I understand the Zen-like focus and discipline of not letting them control and overwhelm you as such..
I always thought the long, theatrical screams of sport karate competition are a bit odd because the actual biomechanical effect you want from a kiai is best served with a short sharp bark.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always thought the long, theatrical screams of sport karate competition are a bit odd because the actual biomechanical effect you want from a kiai is best served with a short sharp bark.
Ha! That made me think of a certain well respected and highly ranked Japanese sword instructor (who shall remain nameless). He has a sharp kiai that sounds exactly like the poodle that our next door neighbor had. The first time I heard him kiai I couldn't help laughing, because they sounded just the same. He had a good laugh about it later when I got the translator to explain it to him. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You’re completely wrong. THIS is how it’s done...

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I cannot find a video on youtube right now from our country's "best karate club" for you to see what is screaming. This video is nothing compared to their competitors. :D:D:D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cannot find a video on youtube right now from our country's "best karate club" for you to see what is screaming. This video is nothing compared to their competitors. :D:D:D
PLEASE FIND IT!!! I BEG OF YOU!!!

That type of ridiculousness never gets old.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES am not a fan of the really long drawn out ones. The technique is DONE man let it go!
... I am so very, very pleased this has made a comeback [emoji1787][emoji1787]

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a reminder though, oddball kiai is not limited to modern karate schools. Jigen ryu is a well known and respected Japanese sword art that has been taught the same way since the late 1500's. They are well known for their loud and drawn out kiai ...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Part of me is saying "I think I'd like to know this girl" The other part of me - yells Run Away, Run Away like Monte Python and the Holy Grail.

Latest Discussions