Questions about correct grip...

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what the correct way is to grip a stick. Is it the ring and middle finger that use the most strength, or does it vary between styles? When you spin it you should let it roll over the back (or front) of your hand and then let mostly those two fingers "catch" it again, right? Also when you strike forward, you sort of snap it... also using strength mostly with those two fingers, aye? Is this correct or am I way out of line?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the correct way is to grip a stick. Is it the ring and middle finger that use the most strength, or does it vary between styles? When you spin it you should let it roll over the back (or front) of your hand and then let mostly those two fingers "catch" it again, right? Also when you strike forward, you sort of snap it... also using strength mostly with those two fingers, aye? Is this correct or am I way out of line?

Perhaps I'm not following you when you're saying, "Let it roll over the back of your hand," but IMO, its better to keep a solid grip. Sure, during some twirling moves, the grip loosens a bit, but keep in mind, that when you're striking, you need to be holding the stick, otherwise you're going to have it fly out of your hand.

Styles may vary, this is just my personal choice.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm not following you when you're saying, "Let it roll over the back of your hand," but IMO, its better to keep a solid grip. Sure, during some twirling moves, the grip loosens a bit, but keep in mind, that when you're striking, you need to be holding the stick, otherwise you're going to have it fly out of your hand.

Styles may vary, this is just my personal choice.

Mike

It is also a very good personal choice.
icon14.gif
Having a good solid grip is important and where someone grips the stick can vary based on certain goals within a system.
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rolling over the hand is refering to "twirling", yes.

When I twirl, the stick is still in my hand. Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I got the impression that you were talking about the stick leaving your hand. Do I loosen my grip a bit? Sure, but again, I have control of that stick.

My meaning about the grip is more general though. Which fingers should use the most power before, during, and after an attack?

I usually keep a firm grip, so all the fingers are coming into play. I've seen some people, when doing a downward strike loosen up a bit and then use a snapping movement with the wrist. Again, personal preference.

Mike

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my experience twirling is good for dexterity, coordination and fun. For trying to hit people without getting hit choose a comfortable grip that will ensure that you keep a hold of the damned thing :)

The correct grip depends on a lot of things including the size and shape of your hands and what you are holding onto.

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I twirl, the stick is still in my hand. Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I got the impression that you were talking about the stick leaving your hand. Do I loosen my grip a bit? Sure, but again, I have control of that stick.

Hm... It's still touching my hand, but certainly I don't have a complete grip on it for a split second.

I usually keep a firm grip, so all the fingers are coming into play. I've seen some people, when doing a downward strike loosen up a bit and then use a snapping movement with the wrist. Again, personal preference.

Mike

Yes, exactly that. I like the feel of that. I'm glad that I'm not the only one. ;)

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my experience twirling is good for dexterity, coordination and fun. For trying to hit people without getting hit choose a comfortable grip that will ensure that you keep a hold of the damned thing :)

I certainly differentiate between training and fighting techniques. ;) I just don't see how you can keep a firm grip on the stick AND still twirl it, without making it look robotic. I mean, the stick should go straight back and straight over, right? How can you do that with a tight grip?

The correct grip depends on a lot of things including the size and shape of your hands and what you are holding onto.

So it's not one-size-fits-all? =P

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gripping the stick.

Hold the stick in your off hand and lay it across your off arm so the middle is in your off hand palm. Press the stick into your desired hand. It should fit into the webbing of the hand between the thumb and index finger. (* This is how my Balintawak instructor taught it *)

As others mentioned keeping a tight grip with all the fingers is desired. While twirling I still keep it tight. If I need more movement of the cane it means I need more flexibility in the wrist or I need to use body mechanics to accomplish the task.

I do a varition of the above. Instead of placing it into the webbing and then bringing the fingers around to grip, I place it at the base of the fingers and roll the fingers and stick into the webbing.

Salagubang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
whatever suggestion you read OR watch all the video clips in youtube
you wont understand it.....

You have to train with someone who knows how to do it (twirling)
or been teaching how to do twirling...

i know theres no FMA instructors at your area at the moment
but thats the only way...twirling can be painful if you dont know
how to do it

just my opinion!!