Question Concerning Choice in Practice

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm interested in studying some form of martial arts in order to learn self-defense. However, I have a rare medical condition that essentially restricts me from aerobic exercise. Obviously, this has some pretty significant implications towards a martial arts study, right? So my question is, can anyone recommend a martial arts system that I could learn which does not rely on heavy, or ideally, any aerobic exercise? Or is it a lost cause, as I am already expecting? Thank you for any input ahead of time.

W

WLMantisKid

Tai Chi, good for the health and not strenuous at all.

OP
R

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Muchos gracias. How deeply involved of a system is it? Years of practice or fairly easy to pick up? Sorry for the naive questions.

M

Mark Weiser

I was going to recommend Tai Chi as well. It is a soft art that many Senior Citizens enjoy. It improves vitality, vigor, and helps with flexiblity, and also is enjoyable to perform.

Tai Chi may assist you in your medical condition as well. Some Tai Chi Instructors also are Herbalist aka Alternative Medicines to us Westerners lol.

Any Art that helps with mediation may also help as well.

Any Art can be practiced takes a lifetime to Master.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, don't get discouraged. I practice kenpo and jujutsu, and I'm not a senior citizen, but I also practice Tai Chi. It's easy enough to pick up, yet it still takes a lifetime. It is what you make of it.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Senior citizens, herbalists.....I'm only 21 years old. :-( But thank you for the advice, I'll check it out.
You could also try Aikijujitsu, Aikido, Hapkido(just don't take any falls), some other arts would be Ryukyu Kempo (here is a site for some good schools http://dillman.com/schools.asp ) so just give them a try if you relay your problem to the teacher than I am sure that that person will try to work around your problem

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't know how bad your situation is but you might want to look into combat hapkido. www.ichf.com from what i understand pretty low/safe kicks. no jumping anything which sounds like what you need.

peace

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ppko said:
You could also try Aikijujitsu, Aikido, Hapkido(just don't take any falls), some other arts would be Ryukyu Kempo (here is a site for some good schools http://dillman.com/schools.asp ) so just give them a try if you relay your problem to the teacher than I am sure that that person will try to work around your problem
You are truly a loyal and dedicated 'company man'.
icon10.gif

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
I'm interested in studying some form of martial arts in order to learn self-defense. However, I have a rare medical condition that essentially restricts me from aerobic exercise. Obviously, this has some pretty significant implications towards a martial arts study, right? So my question is, can anyone recommend a martial arts system that I could learn which does not rely on heavy, or ideally, any aerobic exercise? Or is it a lost cause, as I am already expecting? Thank you for any input ahead of time.
I would suggest a Kenpo instructor who is willing to work with you AND your physical therapist/doctor so that he is aware of your contraindicators and will teach you the effective techniques within a structure that will develop skill without putting you at cardiac risk. I have done fitness/personal training with people on Blood pressure medication that needed similar program tailoring and it is very simple to do.

I would also say that you might want to consider joining the technical age if self defense is a real concern for you: Pepper spray, stun guns, firearms... let tools maximize your effectiveness since you seem to have limitations that restrict how 'powerful' you will be able to be during training and application.

W

WLMantisKid

Tai Chi is a very involved system. It'll take a long time to start getting the hang of it, but the short term results are awesome.

Don't worry about your age, I'm 19 and I'm going to take up Tai Chi to complement my Praying Mantis training.

OP
R

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I would also say that you might want to consider joining the technical age if self defense is a real concern for you: Pepper spray, stun guns, firearms... let tools maximize your effectiveness since you seem to have limitations that restrict how 'powerful' you will be able to be during training and application.
Well, I'd prefer to rely on some form of martial arts rather than some technology for defense. Primarily, I think it would be beneficial to learn a martial art, plus it would be wiser then relying on something that could malfunction, cause problems at security checkpoints, or be mistaken for my telephone on the bedside table. But if martial arts doesn't work out, I guess I will be pursuing that.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
I think since you looking for something for self defence, you should look into Wing Chun. They say that once you get good at that style you can defend yourself with minimal effort by controlling your opponents strikes by using there own force against them. That sounds perfect for you. However it would take years and years to get that good.

Latest Discussions