Question about Von Docks Home Study Program

Shinobi89

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I just had a question about his training. Does he actually teach anything other then Tiajutsu within the study course? Does it go over the 18 disciplines, like shinobi Iri, ect? Thank you for the answers.
Jered

blood shadow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The black belt course covers all the basics leading up to shodan.It starts off with the basics then intermediate and advanced levels leading to your black belt test which is done in person.And yes they do go over the 18 skills including those that draw most people to the art shinobi iri-stealth and inton-jutsu -escape and consealment.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely find a quality instructor and train with them. Books, dvd's, videos, etc. are all good to use in a supplementary manner.

OP
S

Shinobi89

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

If there was a closer dojo then Miami, or some wheres that is within driving distance I would be more then happy to train there. But the closest two to where I am would be a minimum of 2-3 hours away, one way. With the price of gas right now I honestly can't afford that.

I thank you for your reply's.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a small tip ;)

Contact the nearest dojo (s) and ask if they know about training groups active in your area.
Sometimes a few students that are also quite far from the dojo have small training groups and train at the nearst dojo once in a while.

It might be worth the effort ! :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully 2 to 3 hours is not all the bad. What I would do in your situation is go to a monthly seminar at a school or have a monthly private or semi private lesson then work on the fundamentals presented and slowly build up skill level. In time who knows there may be an instructor closer to you.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

If there was a closer dojo then Miami, or some wheres that is within driving distance I would be more then happy to train there. But the closest two to where I am would be a minimum of 2-3 hours away, one way. With the price of gas right now I honestly can't afford that.

Or how about finding like-minded souls to jump in your car and share the fuel costs?

Talk a few buddies into it.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I see that your main concern is the price of gas rather than the time in the car, but I think my stock comment about distance is still applicable: You can 'waste' an extra few hours in the car every week, or you can waste 10 years training poorly.....Your decision....

Make the substitutions for time and money and I think it still works.

OP
S

Shinobi89

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, and thanks again.

I believe what I plan on doing is getting the DvD set from both Von Donk and the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu, I have talked to the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu Grandmaster personally via email, she is ver nice and seems to know what she is talking about.

I think I will study both of these and do as one person on here sugested, I will go to the closest credible instructor to me, possibly even get a few friends to go. If I can get a few friends to go, I could possibly make it bi-monthly, or maybe even weekly.

I think I will do my best to start a group around here, maybe practice at the YMCA, or some where that allows people to hold groups and such things. We could practice there, showing eachother what were doing wrong, critiqing each other or something, using the videos as refference material sense we can't go to class often.

We would go to class, probably a personal class with us, who ever else wants to go, all of us split the cost, maybe get a hour or so of training in and present what we know, thats the best thing I can come up with.

I have no problem driving, if there was a very good instructor near by, very credible, I would go very far out of my way to train with them, may concern is the gas prices, they have went up 90 cents do to the hurricanes that came through and closed off a bridge. They forgot to lower it back to what it was though -.-.

But if I can get 2 more people, or maybe 3, pliting the trainin cost, as well as the gas, it wont be that bad, it will be affordable.

Thanks everyone
Jered

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe what I plan on doing is getting the DvD set from both Von Donk and the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu, I have talked to the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu Grandmaster personally via email, she is ver nice and seems to know what she is talking about.

Sorry to be blunt, but you're not in a position to know whether people 'know what they're talking about'.

You should do some more research concerning training if your interested in devoting the next 10,20,30+ years to it.

You should email that dojo in Miami, and all the others in the state, and explain your situation. They may be too far, but they may know of closer groups, or have suggestions.

If you haven't sent this free email to a few legitimate, real dojo - but you're willing to drop a bunch of money on train-at-home DVDs by people that seem 'very nice and seems to know what she is talking about' to someone with no real knowledge of the subject matter...Again, waste 10 minutes or waste 10 years...

OP
S

Shinobi89

White Belt
Reaction score
I may not know a lot of what I am talking about, but I have sent many emails to different people, mostly in my state, some out of state, some out of the country. I have also been researching this heavily. The Grandmaster of the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu seems to know what she is talking about, I judge my basis on what I have researched, as well as what others have told to me in Emails and over the phone.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post back in this thread once I get things moving more, it should be rather soon I think.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may not know a lot of what I am talking about, but I have sent many emails to different people, mostly in my state, some out of state, some out of the country. I have also been researching this heavily. The Grandmaster of the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu seems to know what she is talking about, I judge my basis on what I have researched, as well as what others have told to me in Emails and over the phone.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post back in this thread once I get things moving more, it should be rather soon I think.
You'll have to decide for yourself... but you might want to consider doing a search on her here on MT and elsewhere. You might find differing thoughts that may have an influence on your opinion.

Just some general thoughts about how you're judging potential sources of instruction. Remember... it's pretty easy to sound knowledgeable on a phone call (and even more so via email!). It's pretty easy to look skilled in videos where you control the demonstration. It's a lot harder to know if they're actually skilled, and even more so, if they're any good at instruction. I'm not at all a fan of videos for instruction; there are too many subtleties that the camera may miss. And a camera cannot correct you. Videos can be good reference tools -- not primary sources of instruction.

Listen to the folks above in the thread; they're offering you numerous ideas and directions to research to find actual training in the ninjutsu-type martial arts. Or even "settle" for something else locally that you can get real training in, even though it's not any of the various ninpo/ninjutsu/ninja taijutsu schools.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would continue my search and maybe do some more in depth searching regarding available training.
icon6.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Grandmaster of the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu seems to know what she is talking about, I judge my basis on what I have researched, as well as what others have told to me in Emails and over the phone.

Gee she must know what she's talking about, look at this impressive resume:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif]AWARDS/ACOMPLISHMENTS:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Only non-Japanese Awarded Menkyo Kaiden of Tomo Ryu Shinobi-jutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Founder of Ninjutsu International Federation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Editor and Chief of Shinobi no Mono Magazine[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Executive Council Member of the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1995 Graduated High School[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1996 Certified Personal Fitness Trainer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Green Belt Crawford’s Combat Kenpo Systems [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1997 Brown Belt Crawford’s Combat Kenpo Systems[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1998 Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt Crawford’s Combat Kenpo System[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Menkyo Chudan Tomo Ryu Shinobijutsu – Master Ichiro Kobayashi[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Kouka Ryu Ninja Kobujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1999 Nidan 2nd Degree Kouka Ryu Ninja Kobujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2000 Menkyo Okudan Tomo Ryu Shinobijutsu – Master Ichiro Kobayashi[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2001 AMFPT Certified Personal Fitness Instructor [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt Crawford’s Combat Kenpo Systems[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Sandan 3rd Degree Kouka Ryu Ninja Kobujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Sandan 3rd Degree Black Belt Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Instructors License Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2002 Martial Artist of the Year [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2003 Professional Black Belt Grappling Trainer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt Shorinji Ryu Jujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt Crawford’s American Jujitsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Established Dojo Charter Shorinji Ryu Jujutsu Federation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] United States Judo Association[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Instructors License in Kenpo Karate[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt To-Shin-Do Ninjutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Yondan 4th Degree Kouka Ryu Ninja Kobujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2004 Became a proud parent of my daughter [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] AMFPT Certified Sports Nutritionist [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Black Belt International Master of the Year[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Sandan 3rd Degree Black Belt Crawford’s Combat Kenpo Systems[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt Crawford’s American Jujitsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Yondan 4th Degree Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2005 MenkyoKaiden Tomo ryu Shinobijutsu – Master Ichiro Kobayashi [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] AMFPT Certified Pilates Instructor [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Black Belt International Award of Excellence[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Honored Member of the BDFS Organization [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt To-Shin-Do Ninjutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Sandan 3rd Degree Black Belt Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Godan 5th Degree Kouka Ryu Ninja Kobujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2006 Inducted in to the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] IMAF Ninjutsu Teacher of the Year [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] IMAF Ninjutsu Practitioner of the Year[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Started Budo Ryu Taijutsu Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Diploma of Technical Achievement in Martial Arts FIMA University[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Menkyo Kaiden KRNS Ninjutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Member of the World Combat Martial Arts Association[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Member of the World Black Belt Bureau[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Yondan 4th Degree Black Belt Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt Shorinji Ryu Jujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Godan 5th Degree Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2007 Founded Ninjutsu International Federation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Established / Published Shinobi no Mono Magazine[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Shidoshi-ho Instructors License Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Created Bojutsu Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Created Naginata Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Created Tantojutsu Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Created Shurikenjutsu Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Created Shinobigatana Home Study Program[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Founded / Developed Tenjin Ryu Ninpo Jujutsu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Inducted into the UMAA Martail Arts Hall of Fame[/FONT]

Look at all those Ranks she got in so many arts in such a short period of time! She must be good!

OP
S

Shinobi89

White Belt
Reaction score
Its ether 3 or more hours, I believe map quest ether said 4 or 8, one or the other I believe. I live in the Fort Walton Beach Area, close to Destin/Sand Destin.

I'm going to take actual class's, I've got a group of friends (2 other people), one that has a few months (6) training in Bujikan Ninjutsu, so he will be able to tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I am still getting the VD Home Study set, but now that I have someone I know that is closer, he can show me if I am doing anything wrong, plus, were going to be going to a actual dojo, 2-5 times a month.

This is the best I think I can do, for now anyway. Also, I have Googled the grandmaster of the Budo Ryu Ninjutsu Dojo, I haven't found anything bad about her, nothing that anyone can prove anyway. A previous poster showing the ranks that she has, that has no point. She may go through ranking fast, that doen't mean she doesn't know her information. I will do more searching, I understand that sounding knowledgeable over the phone and the net are a simple feat, but what disquallifys her as being a good teacher?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to take actual class's, I've got a group of friends (2 other people), one that has a few months (6) training in Bujikan Ninjutsu, so he will be able to tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

OMG. Thats the funniest thing I have heard in days. Thank you!

Latest Discussions