Question about "Lost Art of Tang Soo Do"

isshinryu guy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello:
I am curious about one thing in regards to the above titled book: I understand that the book works on the curriculum, and making the connections between the various facets of the system.

I wonder though, if you have never been taught the applications, what is the best way to learn that? Do I need to find books that are based out of Shotokan, etc to get the "bunkai" of the hyungs.

In your book, would I find out for example, what the first block (double) is in Pyung Ahn 2 is? Or od I need to find that from other resources?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello:
I am curious about one thing in regards to the above titled book: I understand that the book works on the curriculum, and making the connections between the various facets of the system.

I wonder though, if you have never been taught the applications, what is the best way to learn that? Do I need to find books that are based out of Shotokan, etc to get the "bunkai" of the hyungs.

In your book, would I find out for example, what the first block (double) is in Pyung Ahn 2 is? Or od I need to find that from other resources?

There are other better resources for that out there. My book was about laying out a curriculum from start to finish that would prepare students to practice bunkai effectively and make them work toward a set of self defense objectives.

Each kata could have it's own book written about it. The move you talk about can be interpreted as a number of things. The question I approach is how do you lay out a curriculum that addresses all of those things?

That's what I set out to do. I'm currently working on a 2nd edition of this book as well as a detailed textbook for these ideas.

Latest Discussions