Putin on NSA leak: Government surveillance shouldn’t break law

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Putin on NSA leak: Government surveillance shouldn’t break law[/h] RT.com EXCERPT:

Published time: June 11, 2013 14:53 Data surveillance is an acceptable measure if done within the law, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin told RT while visiting the channel in the capital.

Speaking to RT the Russian president stressed that Snowden revealed "nothing we didn’t know before", adding that surveillance "is becoming a global phenomenon in the context of combatting international terrorism", and that "such methods are generally practicable".
But Putin pointed out that "the question is how well those security agencies are controlled by the public."
"I can tell you that, at least in Russia, you cannot just go and tap into someone’s phone conversation without a warrant issued by court,” Putin said answering the question of RT’s Editor-in-Chief Margarita Simonyan.
“That’s more or less the way a civilized society should go about fighting terrorism with modern-day technology. As long as it is exercised within the boundaries of the law that regulates intelligence activities, it’s alright. But if it’s unlawful, then it’s bad
Commenting on Obama’s statement that “You can’t have 100 per cent security and 100 per cent privacy,” Putin disagreed, saying it is possible if done within the law.
END EXCERPT
Pretty bad when the former head of the KGB slaps you around on civil rights... even worse when he is right...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty bad when the former head of the KGB slaps you around on civil rights... even worse when he is right...

Well, that's why it's called irony, Don...:lol:

In all seriousness, we regularly slap him around on human rights, and their government(s) have been playing "tit for tat" in that context, as in stopping adoptions, etc.

And while I agree with you that he's basically right, he neglected to mention, and you have to remember that this surveillance is completely within the law; the law called the USA PATRIOT Act, and you know who we can all blame that on, dontcha.....hmmm?.......hmmm?

HMMMM?

Congress. :lol:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
of course he can say that...because everyone who ever did the same thing in Russia is dead already and can't say otherwise and the rest are not crazy enough to contradict him :rolleyes:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, obama...he is the current President, who ran on not doing what they are doing and stopping what they are doing, and has the power to end the program...whoever may have started it...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except the author of the Patriot Act says they aren't allowed to do what they are doing...not a surprise that a government agency oversteps it's mandate...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-act-says-phone-records-collection-excessive/

The author of the Patriot Act said Thursday that a secret program under which the Obama administration was collecting phone records from millions of Americans is "excessive" and beyond the scope of the law.
Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., who wrote the 2001 law, was among a host of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle who raised alarm over the practice.

He noted that the key section of the law that allows the government to obtain business records requires the information to be relevant to an authorized investigation.
"How could the phone records of so many innocent Americans be relevant to an authorized investigation?" he asked in the letter.
He said the order "could not have been drafted more broadly," and said he does not think it's "consistent" with the law's requirements.

But if obama thinks it is okay...well then...it must be okay...because everyone knows that obama would never do anything to hurt us, Bush did it because he is evil...obama is love...and his love is for all of us...except for those who do not accept his love...and then they must be punished...because when they refuse him...they make him sad...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, obama...he is the current President, who ran on not doing what they are doing and stopping what they are doing, and has the power to end the program...whoever may have started it...

Oh, and I know you didn't believe him.......neither did I. What of it? :lfao: @ "Whoever may have started it." just......

Except the author of the Patriot Act says they aren't allowed to do what they are doing...not a surprise that a government agency oversteps it's mandate...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-act-says-phone-records-collection-excessive/

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-records-collection-excessive/#ixzz2VyAOeLcs

.....as badly as I'm :lfao: at the "author of the PATRIOT Act." Really? Really? JUst....:lfao:

I mean, Sensenbrenner's name is on the thing, but do you really think he wrote it? All he did was combine other proposed amendments from the House and Senate. That amendment, that eventually became the "USA PATRIOT Act" was further amended prior to voting.

Calling him the "author" is kind of like calling Oppenheimer the "inventor of the A-bomb." :lfao: You don't really think that, do ya?

Or that just because he says "it's abuse," or "it's not what it was meant for," or, "it's wrong" that those things didn't go on for the first 7 years of its existence?

I told you guys, and I told you, and told you, and told you some more, when you were all, ]If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear, and, It just plugs some holes that needed plugging, and this one, I loved this one, It doesn't apply to U.S. citizens :lfao: I asked you: What are you going to think of it when Hillary is in the White House?, and you never even thought for aa moment that something worse than that might occur. I'm sorry, Bill, I agree with you, but

It's legal. They can do it. They can do it in secret. No one except Congress-not even the ACLU can stop it (where are they going to get evidence from, exactly?)

Latest Discussions