Purpose of Ninpo

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another board there was a survey asked. The questions were about using Ninpo in real life. You either had never used it in real life, used it and defeated the other guy or been defeated.

That just struck me as wrong. The whole premis of the question was that you had beat someone up in order to be defined as a succesfull use of ninpo taijutsu.

That is not the purpose of ninjutsu. The purpose of ninjutsu is to get home alive and unhurt. Pounding the other guy into mulch is a very, very distant second.

How about this scenario; a woman is walking through a parking lot and someone tries to drag her into a van. She uses a quick te-hodoki and trips the guy long enough to beat feet. Did she defeat the other guy? Maybe you can say that. Some will look at the fact that the guy also got away and unhurt as a non-victory despite the fact that the woman achieved her ends of getting home alive and unhurt.

How about cases where you escaped without any physical contact? You see trouble coming and walk away, or use things like shoten no jutsu in order to do the Montey Python battle cry (run away...run away..) and the other guy never touches you? How about if some drunk is about ready to pound you because you have to cut him off and you convince him that the real villian is the local goverment and send him down the road at 1 a.m. to scream at city hall? (A friend of mine did that. :) )

There are only about 500 justifiable homicides with a handgun each year in the US. Despite this thousands of times a year a handgun is pulled and the other guy decides that he doesn't need to stick the knife in the officer anymore and would rather sit down on the ground and put his hands behind his back for the hand cuffs. Did they really "use" a handgun in this case?

All these things do not end up with the other guy in the emergency room, but the important thing is neither are you!!!!!

As I get older I find myself moving away from the Conan the Barbarian definition of happiness as seeing the enemy cast before me and hearing the wailing of their women to the idea of clean sheets, warm food and quilted toilet paper. Beating the snot out of someone else just does not appeal to me as much as it did when I was 18. I don't go looking for trouble but I prepare for it. And given the chance I have run like a rabbit from a dangerous situation. That may not seem like much of a victory. But my definition of victory is coming home at the end of the day, kissing my wife, walking my dog and bouncing my kids on my lap. It ain't glamorous, but I like it.

I will get off the soap box now. :soapbox:

Latest Discussions