purpose of drills

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the drills you use in VT? Which drills do you use, in which order, and why?

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never attended Virginia Tech, maybe others here have. I'm assuming they use cordless, corded, impact and presses. Which ones used would depend on what material was being drilled, wood, metal, concrete, plastic etc. This would also determine the bit used. I assume order would be dependant on precision required :)

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bravo, now go ahead and answer the question

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some drills are to develop attributes; speed, strength, structure, sensitivity…etc.
Some drills are to develop a particular response to a stimulus. When or how to go to a tan sao or a bong sao or a jut sao or a jum sao.
Some drills are to develop a particular skill set. Punching, kicking, elbow position, stepping, body position…etc.
Some drills are to develop an understanding of range or distance.
Some drills are to develop an understanding of timing.
There are other reasons to use drills.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, to develop "muscle memory".

Don't be obtuse, you know what that is.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill is also a military term for the training of marching, shooting and other military skills. It's been used for millennia and for the same reason it's used in martial arts. Most styles use drills from BJJ to karate to judo and of course CMA as is trying to be discussed here. It's always interesting to know how others train basics as well as advanced skills, we can all learn from each other even if we don't train the same style. That's the reason I like looking here despite not training CMA, there's always the chance to learn something that I can put into practice.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, to develop "muscle memory".

Don't be obtuse, you know what that is.

I'm not being obtuse. What I am looking for is a description of the structure of systems

If muscle memory is the primary driver for doing drills in your system, would you say that they are generally application related (i.e. you want your body to respond with a drilled sequence of movements in response to stimulus)? Or do you mean it in a different way?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not being obtuse. What I am looking for is a description of the structure of systems

If muscle memory is the primary driver for doing drills in your system, would you say that they are generally application related (i.e. you want your body to respond with a drilled sequence of movements in response to stimulus)? Or do you mean it in a different way?
No you are being obtuse. You typically do this waiting/hoping that someone describes something in a manner that provides you with an "ah ha gotcha" moment, even if the difference between your thoughts and what the other expressed was purely semantic in nature.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no reason for you to worry about disagreement if your system is coherent and functional

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no reason for you to worry about disagreement if your system is coherent and functional
Such a sentiment only has validity if the following hold true.
1. Both sides of the conversation look at substantive facts and don't use semantics.
2. Both sides agree that more than one system is coherent and functional.

You do neither. The second one is most important. Like many people with an apparently narrow experience you suffer from myopia and when confronted by something different than your own experience you can't see the coherence or functionality. It is like language, English has a multitude of accents, some stronger than others (think some of the Scottish accents). To the myopic who doesn't try to understand someone from Aberdeen or Glasgow can sound like they are speaking some incoherent foreign tongue, but if one isn't myopic you can see they are speaking the same language, they simply pronounce it differently.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Such a sentiment only has validity if the following hold true.
1. Both sides of the conversation look at substantive facts and don't use semantics.

I only use facts and logic in argument. That is why you dislike it I guess

2. Both sides agree that more than one system is coherent and functional.

I do, see here

You do neither. The second one is most important.

Please don't lie

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I only use facts and logic in argument. That is why you dislike it I guess

Opinion is not facts and logic is in the eye of the beholder. Most of your arguments are void of logic and filled with opinion. You are free to disagree in a fact and logic based argument if you wish.

You seem to misunderstand, the statement was about other lineages being just as coherent and functional. Your claim that there is only one WC is flawed in terms of both probability and logic because humans are not identical and if you have ever fought someone you will notice we all have our different personalities and traits that give us different advantages.

Saying all other lineages are incoherent is not a statement that is supported by fact or logic. It is a simple opinion by a single person with no known experience to back up his own statement. As such what you are doing is simply seeking aggregation or attention, my opinion.

The irony is that by stating you have never heard of any WC/VT that is coherent or functional you sound like someone who recently just started training because if you still believe the coherence and or functionality of a lineage/system can be understood via written words on a forum then one would say it is most probable all your arguments are based on flawed opinion because statistics show that people have a higher tendency to misunderstand meaning and purpose in forums than in person.

Please don't lie

He did not lie, he stated an opinion. One that is supported by many people here. As such your mathematical probability states it is more likely he is telling the truth.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You seem to misunderstand, the statement was about other lineages being just as coherent and functional.

Not true. The statement by Juany was that "both sides must agree that more than one system is coherent and functional"

In a post before this challenge, linked to above, I stated the following:

guy b said:
There is nothing in what I have said that denies other functional, non-contradictory and internally consistent systems also exist that are not VT. BJJ is an obvious example. There are also examples in Chinese MA. There are recently formulated examples and examples from a long time ago.

and

guy b said:
I have never denied that non-broken VT may exist that I am not aware of, from either before or after the time of YM. All of you (apart from KPM) may in fact be practicing such VT

So your reading comprehension is worryingly poor, if you did indeed click the link

He did not lie

Yes he did lie as detailed above. At best he was very careless and should acknowledge his mistake. As should you.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lying is a very weak approach to argument

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not true. The statement by Juany was that "both sides must agree that more than one system is coherent and functional"

In a post before this challenge, linked to above, I stated the following:

and

So your reading comprehension is worryingly poor, if you did indeed click the link

Yes he did lie as detailed above. At best he was very careless and should acknowledge his mistake. As should you.

Well the above is basically self serving because while you may claim "I have never said any non-VT...." Everytime that something you consider a non-VT form, hell when VT forms that don't match yours are raised... You attack them.

Beyond that I will not repeat what has been said regarding the difference once between opinion and logic. If you care to be a lone voice in the wilderness it is all good but realize that at least on this forum your voice is either screaming into the hurricane or simply blatantly ignored by basically everyone else because it is devoid of logic.

The thing with logic is that it is not subjective. You seem to mistake your opinion for objective facts. Thus you mistake subjective opinion for logic.

Latest Discussions