Possible Weapon's Class...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been wondering what to do about the hour on tuesday where we used to have Jujutsu. If I can't get Mr. Fernandez to come back, I was wondering how many people would be interested in a weapon's class?

I would teach stick, knife, staff, cane and some sword. Many of you do not have weapons on your requirement sheets yet, but I think that it wouldn't hurt to start practicing them.

Let me know how you feel about this...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All right, I've been doing some more thinking on this and I have a possible idea. I was thinking about rearranging the schedule so that the weapon's class would immediately follow the advanced student (red belt) class.

Our schedule (if we decided to make this change) would look like this...

Tues

5 pm to 6 pm - Beginner Class
6 pm to 7 pm - White Belt Class
7 pm to 8 pm - Green Belt Class

Thurs

5 pm to 6 pm - Red Belt Class
6 pm to 7 pm - Weapons Class
7 pm to 8 pm - Sparring Class

The weapon class is open to all Red Belts regardless of age and anyone else who is invited by the instructor. The sparring class is still open to anyone regardless of rank and I want to encourage everyone to attend. That is where the rubber meets the pavement folks...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
All right, I've been doing some more thinking on this and I have a possible idea. I was thinking about rearranging the schedule so that the weapon's class would immediately follow the advanced student (red belt) class.

Our schedule (if we decided to make this change) would look like this...

Tues

5 pm to 6 pm - Beginner Class
6 pm to 7 pm - White Belt Class
7 pm to 8 pm - Green Belt Class

Thurs

5 pm to 6 pm - Red Belt Class
6 pm to 7 pm - Weapons Class
7 pm to 8 pm - Sparring Class

The weapon class is open to all Red Belts regardless of age and anyone else who is invited by the instructor. The sparring class is still open to anyone regardless of rank and I want to encourage everyone to attend. That is where the rubber meets the pavement folks...

John,

I think weapon training is good.

I would start with one weapon and cover it for a while so as not confuse the students.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
John,

I think weapon training is good.

I would start with one weapon and cover it for a while so as not confuse the students.

At the dan levels we usually focus on one weapon and really go in depth. This class would be more like a survey so that students become familiar with a variety of implements. Including improvised weapons.

jdwindsurfer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would really like to try weapons training -- it is one of the few things I have almost zero experience with. I've done a little knife defense work, but no training where I had the weapon.

Your proposed schedule looks fine to me. Having the advanced classes on one end or the other of the schedule each night means no one will be sticking around for an hour between two classes. As long as you try to keep that concept intact, most variations on the schedule will probably be fine.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is what I thought. People were coming on Thursday for their classes and then bailing, but they really really really NEED to come to our sparring class. I'm hoping that the weapons class encourages people to come to that class and gives people an opportunity to do some weapons work.

BTW, you would be invited to the weapons class. It'll give you a head start on the red belt stuff.

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
The schedule looks fine to me. It's easier for me to come at 7:00 than five. (At least Mom says so.)

Ian:jedi1: