Positive press for shooting sports.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the debate about gun control and all the statistics flying around dividing peoples ideas as to whether we should have firearms or not it is nice to come across some positive press once in a while.

I came across this article:

With over 300,000 members, the 4H Shooting Sports program is serving up the next generation of shooters and hunters.
FULL ARTICLE

I know that locally we have a "Junior Rifle Program" where we teach the kids 9 - 12 proper use of a rifle (air) and hunter's safety program. The kids also have the opportunity to compete in the Manitoba Junior Rifle Championships which brings together kids from across the province once a year for a day of friendly competition and a dinner and awards ceremony after. It is open to juniors 9 to 19 years of age.

When my oldest daughter started the program it was in its fledgling stages. It had 5 kids. This year the instructor is taking 16 kids and he has 12 preregistered already. The success comes from word of mouth and a good solid program for the kids to enjoy.

I think programs like ours and the 4H clubs etc. need more good press to help make people more educated about firearms.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It IS good press. The truth is that well-trained children are far LESS likely to abuse firearms (or air rifles) than those who've had them handed to them by absent parents. I remember a time when shooting clubs and competitions had NOT connotation of violence whatsoever. The idea, when I was at summer camp (Conservation Camp then Boy Scout Camp) that one of us would CONSIDER using a firearm badly was incomprehensible. So much has changed and I think the increase in the abuse of firearms by young people can be traced largely to the lack of education and respect that MY generation (and previous generations far more so) received regarding Gun Safety.

Thanks for sharing this, Lisa!

Latest Discussions