Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehehe maybe...though the 2 I posted above weren't my work.

:)

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing to remember about spyware is that because it's being installed from other programs in order to help it stay free, by disabling the ad/spyware program, you run the risk of disabling the actual program it downloaded with.

Dang, I wish I knew that when I first downloaded DIVX.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This whole thing just is ridiculous. It p***** me off more or less. I wonder who started this up and why. Sorry about the rant here but this is the only place I think it can be posted.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full agreement. This is a slimy way to do business. They're using your own machine against you.

E

Elfan

Originally posted by TheEdge883
One thing to remember about spyware is that because it's being installed from other programs in order to help it stay free, by disabling the ad/spyware program, you run the risk of disabling the actual program it downloaded with.

Dang, I wish I knew that when I first downloaded DIVX.

The Divx *codec* (which is all you actaully need) is free and comes with no strings attached. Forget about the player if that comes with spyware, any other player will work just as well.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy together. I find one will often find things the other misses.

Being uber-paranoid, I disable cookies unless absolutely necessary. When done with a cookied site, I go back and delete any cookies put onto my machine. Also, with Mozilla, I can turn disable pop-up windows. I've found the Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Mozilla combo to be quite effective in eliminating and protecting against adware and spyware.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions