Politics in the Dojang

mattiej

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see this topic in the forum yet, but I apologize in advance if it's already been addressed...

I have a conceptual and practical question, both on the topic of politics and martial arts training.

Conceptual: What do folks think about the relationship of martial arts traning and politics (not politics between school members but US/State government politics). The organization I trained with up to 1st Dan actively and publicly supports congress persons whose politics I cannot support. I'm considering withdrawing my membership formally (haven't been training in years, so it wouldn't be a major change...would just make a point).

Practical: Does anyone know of a Tang Soo Do organization that is politics-free (i.e., the federation does not support any political officers or candidates)?

Thanks

-Matt

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a very interesting question.

Personally I don't think it is a wise idea.

However, a martial arts organization, like any other organization, has the right to support a partisan view or a political candidate should they choose to. I don't think MA orgs should be stripped of those rights.
I also think an individual/school has the right to not be part of an organization.

Business ethics dictate that an org be up front with how they are spending their members' time and money. I have a big problem with an organization that is stealth about that sort of thing. OTOH, I have no issue with a local group near me that has a political agenda and is quite up-front about what the agenda is and how they engage in their activist activities.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless they are forcing you to take sides I wouldn't pull out. But to answer your question I am sure there are plenty of tang soo do organizations that are not involved government politics.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to contact Master Dennis McHenry. He has banded together with some other Korean stylists to form a pretty good organization. They are the net. Just look up Master Mac's.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If a statement was being made that the members of the organization support a certain candidate, but decision was not made by the members, but the leaders of the organization, I would have to leave.

Personally, I don't try to discuss Politics or Religion at work or in the dojang.

OP
M

mattiej

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for these thoughtful replies. I posted this while in grad school, and clearly haven't thought about it too much for a while. It was nice to see what you all had to say.

I'm now training in a different style, and at a school that seems very focused on being non-political (both Politics, and politics of martial arts orgs).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is an actual thing?
I don't think it's very common. I haven't encountered it personally. The closest I've seen is a few instructors (mostly KMA and mostly located in the Washington DC area) awarding honorary black belts and such to politicians. I think that's primarily about promoting their own schools rather than supporting a certain political agenda.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard of martial arts schools that publicly promote specific religious beliefs, so it doesn't surprise me that much to hear that some schools promote specific political ideologies, too. But both seem strange and exclusionary to me.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Historically speaking, martial arts training and "groups" were often founded around a common political or religious goal. For instance, there are a <ahem> few Chinese arts which teach as their oral history that their founding was created as part of a political insurgency. Many of the 19th Century Irish martial pursuits were either heavily influenced by or adjunct to both politics and religion, in particular Catholic resistance to mainland British/Anglican rule. Shastar Vidiy and Gatka are (continental) Indian martial arts specifically associated with Sikhism.

While business venture schools which promote a specific religion or political ideology are uncommon in the U.S. (because they want to cater to as many paying customers as possible) it is not particularly unheard of for Churches in the U.S. to host various sorts of "Karate for Christ" clubs in their recreational/outreach programs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's very common. I haven't encountered it personally. The closest I've seen is a few instructors (mostly KMA and mostly located in the Washington DC area) awarding honorary black belts and such to politicians. I think that's primarily about promoting their own schools rather than supporting a certain political agenda.
Jhoon Rhee teaches Congressmembers and their staff at the Capitol. Inside the Black Belt Way Inside the Beltway | Fox News