Politicizing Murder

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was not talking about Leo Straus. I was talking about the attitude you were showing. Distraction does not work well with me. Trying to cover over the attitude you have towards the people by saying someone is worse does not make me feel any less scared about people like you.

Just the idea that people would take a subject like the beating death of a 6 year old and use it to attack the administration by fielding accusations about the PNAC, The Masons or anything else just strikes me as the worse kind of political oppurtunitism. The idea that people think that a media that caters to what we want somehow controls us and needs to be controlled so that the "correct" political thought can prevail makes me want to dust off my Orwell and read it again.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
The idea that people think that a media that caters to what we want somehow controls us and needs to be controlled so that the "correct" political thought can prevail makes me want to dust off my Orwell and read it again.

That's probably a good idea...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to clarify a couple of things in order to reframe this little spat.

Don Roley said that I said that people are too stupid to dissemble the MSM product or to choose a different product.

I never wrote this. This attitude exists inside of Don Roley's head. It is his impression of what I think.

Which is wrong.

With that in mind, lets take a look at a couple of the following statements.

Don Roley said:
I was not talking about Leo Straus. I was talking about the attitude you were showing. Distraction does not work well with me. Trying to cover over the attitude you have towards the people by saying someone is worse does not make me feel any less scared about people like you.

Why did I bring up Leo Strass and the other PNAC members? It certainly seems off topic, however, if you look at this statement...

Don Roley said:
I am more scared of people who think I need them to tell me what is in my best interest than a guy trying to take my wallet. At least the guy with the wallet is being honest about what he wants.

Now, the connection is obvious. The statement is doublethink. Basically, out of one side of his mouth, Don is saying that he is afraid of an attitude that he thinks that I have (which I don't) and then out of the other, he supports (from what I have gathered in other conversations with him) people WHO REALLY DO have that attitude.

Anyway, I'm sorry for taking this slightly off topic with the short paragraph I typed earlier, I was just trying to point out an apparent contradiction of belief.

And now, onto this...

Don Roley said:
Just the idea that people would take a subject like the beating death of a 6 year old and use it to attack the administration by fielding accusations about the PNAC, The Masons or anything else just strikes me as the worse kind of political oppurtunitism.

With the above reframe, this makes absolutely no sense. Further, who brought the masons into all of this? I didn't attack the administration at all.

The bottom line is this, I think we need to be more careful about reading what a person is actually saying. Putting words in people's mouths and imagining thoughts in anothers head is pointless, because its like having a conversation with yourself. There are real people behind these computer screens and even though we disagree on some stuff, if we just take the time to read what people are actually saying, we just might learn something from one another.

Alright, back on topic...

Jon Benet, problems with the media, is this story relevant to our lives, sensationalism, tabloid witch hunts, etc...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Now, the connection is obvious. The statement is doublethink. Basically, out of one side of his mouth, Don is saying that he is afraid of an attitude that he thinks that I have (which I don't) and then out of the other, he supports (from what I have gathered in other conversations with him) people WHO REALLY DO have that attitude.

No, you are trying to divert attention. You may not say things straight out, but people can read the underlying message you have. The section I originaly quoted from you says it all. You said that things are the way they are because people are too stupid to make the right choice. So the alternate is for people with brains to take care of all the rest of us that don't. And that scares me.

And it is a classic case of doublethink to say on one hand that news media gives us as consumers want and on the other that they control us. Or for that matter to think that the media that slams the president and gives us news that drive down his poll numbers are working as shills and producing bread and circuses to divert attention. Or that a company like Disney that contributes heavily to the Democratic National Commitee is working for the Repulican agenda.

As fearlessfreep said, this thread is a perfect example of how some people try to hijack any thread they find and turn it to an attack on the administration. I am surprised by the whole doublethink attitude and the idea that we are too stupid to know what subjects to talk about. Gee, if talking about this case is a waste of time that is better spent reading the politically correct news stories of how repulicans kick little dogs, then what about all the time we spend talking about martial arts? Some of us actually waste our time talking about martial arts, and even things like anime, instead of post after post about the latest conspiracy the RNC is up to.

Latest Discussions