Political Use of September 11

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the past three days, President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld, and Secretary of State Rice each in separate addresses invoked the September 11 attacks.

In each of the speeches, they have attempted to justify all the Foreign policy actions of the United States as the result of September 11.

The drumbeats for the November election have started early. The White House Iraq Group has said you don't introduce a new marketing plan in August. That was in 2002, and the marketing plan referred to was the invasion of Iraq.

So, is anybody listening to this argument any more?

Oh, and have you read 'three Shakespears' this summer?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to ignore the comments made by Hitler, Göring, Himmler and Goebbels.

I find it so, very, ironic that Dumbsfield makes the Nazi comparison, when they are marching this country down the same road, using many of the same tactics as that most despised regime.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Just the past three days? 9/11 has been their mantra since...9/11. I'm not buying.

This is different.

Did you hear the President yelling at the country today. I know he was giving a speech, but more than ever before, I felt he was talking louder, in order for people to more clearly understand.

I especially liked this quote ...

George. W Bush said:
If America were to pull out before Iraq can defend itself, the consequences would be absolutely predictable -- and absolutely disastrous.

If the President can predict, absolutely what would happen were American forces to redeploy in the region, it would be a first. The President and his administration have not been able to predict even one thing correct concerning the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

It makes one wonder why he did not bring this clairvoyance to bear before we committed one billion dollars a week for more than three years.

Victory in Iraq will be difficult and it will require more sacrifice. The fighting there can be as fierce as it was at Omaha Beach or Guadalcanal.

Here, the President is drawing reference to World War II. This too has been a meme the administration has touched on repeatedly; either in preparation of the Iranian invasion, or as an election tactic, or both.

I am amazed the veterans he was speaking to today didn't walk out when he uttered this phrase. A comparison between Iraq and D-Day is obscene to those veterans. We entered into World War II as a direct result of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. We entered into Iraq because Saddam Hussein 'tried to kill {the Presidents} Dad."

The tide has been turning in our country, which has quieted up "The Study" quite a bit, lately.

But watch this language, used by this Administration. Watch it get louder as we move toward election, a draft, and a war in Iran.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I am amazed the veterans he was speaking to today didn't walk out when he uttered this phrase. A comparison between Iraq and D-Day is obscene to those veterans. We entered into World War II as a direct result of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. We entered into Iraq because Saddam Hussein 'tried to kill {the Presidents} Dad."

I guess I have a higher opinion of veterans. Maybe it's because many people close to me are veterans, I am a veteran, and I am very involved in a veteran's organization, that I am not surprised that the veterans present would listen to the whole speach without rudely walking out even though many (maybe even most) may not like the comparison. I know I don't like the comparison, but I wouldn't walk out or similarly put my hands over my ears and say "blah, blah, blah."

Also, the 'official' retaliation for the assassination attempt on the elder President Bush in mid-April of 1993 was conducted on June 26, 1993 in the form of a cruise missile into Baghdad.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
crushing said:
Also, the 'official' retaliation for the assassination attempt on the elder President Bush in mid-April of 1993 was conducted on June 26, 1993 in the form of a cruise missile into Baghdad.

Wait a minute, does that mean President Clinton actually did something in the interest of National Defense ... quick, go tell the Weekly Standard.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/27/1032734315453.html

Disarming and ousting Saddam Hussein is a uniquely American concern, President George W Bush said late today, citing the Iraqi leader's ties to an assassination attempt on Bush's father.
"Other countries of course, bear the same risk. But there's no doubt his hatred is mainly directed at us," Bush said at a political fundraiser in Houston, Texas. "After all this is the guy who tried to kill my dad."

Now that quote, makes it look like, in addition to a cruise missile strike on the Iraqi Intelligence Headquarters, the foiled, attempted assassination was used as a justification for the invasion of Iraq. But, the speaker in this case, was only the President of the United States .. what would he know. :)

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
I guess I have a higher opinion of veterans. Maybe it's because many people close to me are veterans, I am a veteran, and I am very involved in a veteran's organization, that I am not surprised that the veterans present would listen to the whole speach without rudely walking out even though many (maybe even most) may not like the comparison. I know I don't like the comparison, but I wouldn't walk out or similarly put my hands over my ears and say "blah, blah, blah."

they interviewed a few in attendance after the speech on NPR, polite is correct. the men interviewed didn't think he had a real plan in iraq and weren't sure about anything going on there.

and as a side note: i recall that there were many questions as to the evidence that saddam and his secret intelligence were connected to any assasination attempt. it may be hard to remember or believe but a few journalists thought it a cynical attempt by clinton's administration to show he's got some balls by lobbing a cruise missle into baghdad.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It appears that SecDef Rumsfeld is facing quite a bit of heat for his WWII comments earlier this week. Watching this unfold will be interesting.

Certainly, Mr. Rumsfeld has horribly mismanaged the Iraq invasion and occupation. Combined with his statements that 'many' in the country have not learned the lessons of history, it seems the Secretary may have reached a tipping point.

As the President does not brook dissent, expect the Decider to make strong statements of support for his Secretary of Defense early this week. He will hunker down in defense and launch swift boat style attacks on Senate Democrats.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
they interviewed a few in attendance after the speech on NPR, polite is correct. the men interviewed didn't think he had a real plan in iraq and weren't sure about anything going on there.

and as a side note: i recall that there were many questions as to the evidence that saddam and his secret intelligence were connected to any assasination attempt. it may be hard to remember or believe but a few journalists thought it a cynical attempt by clinton's administration to show he's got some balls by lobbing a cruise missle into baghdad.

michaeledward said:
Wait a minute, does that mean President Clinton actually did something in the interest of National Defense ... quick, go tell the Weekly Standard.

Those journalists quickly learned the President Clinton wasn't afraid to use force around the world, as evidenced by military actions against Iraq, Somalia, Haiti, Sarajevo, Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, and the Sudan.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
crushing said:
Those journalists quickly learned the President Clinton wasn't afraid to use force around the world, as evidenced by military actions against Iraq, Somalia, Haiti, Sarajevo, Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, and the Sudan.

I'm wondering if you saw the movie 'Wag the Dog'.

Of course, with the passage of time, memories become a bit selective, but I seem to recall, anytime President Clinton used force around the world, it was decried as a distraction from Monica Lewinski.

Oh, and the US Military was ordered to Somalia by George HW Bush.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichaelEdward. The Study has been quiet because some of the more vocal denizens have been absent. We're striving to correct that.:ultracool

As to political use of September 11, as a New Yorker I'm here to tell you that the television and radio ad campaigns and speechifying done in connection with our upcoming gubernatorial, attorney general and other state and local races is despicable. Similar to someone coming here in the days immediately following the attack and posing with one of NY's Bravest on the rubble. Tragic events such as 9/11 and Pearl Harbor become political tools to tug at the voters' heartstrings and persuade them to ignore the other issues at hand. All of our little towns and townships have 9/11 memorials. The one at the site of the attack has yet to be built.

And it's all political leger-de-main, as you've pointed out in your usual direct fashion. KT

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
MichaelEdward. The Study has been quiet because some of the more vocal denizens have been absent. We're striving to correct that.:ultracool

:) I'd like to think it has been quiet because it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend the indefensible.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I'm wondering if you saw the movie 'Wag the Dog'.

Of course, with the passage of time, memories become a bit selective, but I seem to recall, anytime President Clinton used force around the world, it was decried as a distraction from Monica Lewinski.

Yes, I saw the movie and I recall the same.

michaeledward said:

Correct, President GHW BUSH order troops to Somalia in support of UNOSOM I with UNITAF or "Operation Restore Hope".

http://www.un.org/Depts/DPKO/Missions/unosomi.htm

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Yes. To defend food shipments and feed the people. The mission was changed by the Clinton administration into one that took sides against various war lords in the name of nation building. That is when the trouble began with them.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When bad things happen to the country, it's make it or break it time for politicians, it becomes a game of who can place the blame elsewhere and who can best create and control a mob...

...and I suddenly feel the earge to go rent "Canadian Bacon" for some reason....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know where you Canadians hide your bullet....and those clubs yu call "ballet" that are at the boarder are a shrewd defensive line, designed to slow down the assault of our male soldiers. :rofl:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We got a plan, don't worry.

We just start giving your soldiers our beer. Since all they've had is that watered down stuff you guys serve they will be out cold after a couple :D

Latest Discussions