Political Eating habits:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bear with me and vote... I am seriously curious now.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
three cheers for PETA... People Eating Tasty Animals

hehe

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Although my political views have changed over the years, my lust for raw meat has not.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm just not one for extremes, another moderate omnivore here. I like my salad but there better be a medium-rare (red in the middle) steak around my plate somewhere.

Lamont

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
neither liberal nor conservative. middle of the road, more of a common sense approach to politics; and yes there does exist a little some on both sides of the partisan fence.

like blindside, i like my salad but there best be some kind of meat with it. neither one monopolize my dietary needs or desires. :)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a personal note, it will be interesting to see the number of people that plainly aren't moderate or centrist that go on this thread and claim themselves as such.

I will personally find it very enlightening.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
On a personal note, it will be interesting to see the number of people that plainly aren't moderate or centrist that go on this thread and claim themselves as such.

I will personally find it very enlightening.
I was thinking the same thing, ironically enough. Everyone thinks their own position is moderate or centrist...right heretic?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I was thinking the same thing, ironically enough. Everyone thinks their own position is moderate or centrist...right heretic?

That's obviously not true, as a number of people on here have not claimed themselves as such.

However, its evident that many people that claim themselves to be 'moderate' or 'centrist' don't have a working definition or idea of what that actually means. More self-confirming bias, I suppose.

As a general rule, its probably good to look at individuals that claim their ideology is 'common sense', 'practical', or 'progressive'. They are rarely moderates.

As for myself, I have clearly detailed what the term actually means and have cited thinkers that developed the terminology. Its pretty well-established, at this point.

Laterz.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
That's obviously not true, as a number of people on here have not claimed themselves as such.

However, its evident that many people that claim themselves to be 'moderate' or 'centrist' don't have a working definition or idea of what that actually means. More self-confirming bias, I suppose.

As a general rule, its probably good to look at individuals that claim their ideology is 'common sense', 'practical', or 'progressive'. They are rarely moderates.

As for myself, I have clearly detailed what the term actually means and have cited thinkers that developed the terminology. Its pretty well-established, at this point.

Laterz.
I was actually referring to your assertion as being a "centrist" or "moderate" being dubious in light of obvious biases. I wouldn't have said anything, but you brought it up.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I was actually referring to your assertion as being a "centrist" or "moderate" being dubious in light of obvious biases. I wouldn't have said anything, but you brought it up.

It should be noted that these "obvious biases" you reference are typically a smokescreen argument for "he's criticizing my side, he must be a lib'ral!".

I criticize both sides a'plenty. Just look back on some of the little debates I had with Roberston.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
It should be noted that these "obvious biases" you reference are typically a smokescreen argument for "he's criticizing my side, he must be a lib'ral!".

I criticize both sides a'plenty. Just look back on some of the little debates I had with Roberston.
Call yourself what you want. My point is that you should be careful before labelling your own position "moderate" while attacking others for making the same claim. Again, though, I won't dispute whatever label you place upon yourself.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets keep this thread on the topic at hand... The Politics of meat.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Call yourself what you want. My point is that you should be careful before labelling your own position "moderate" while attacking others for making the same claim. Again, though, I won't dispute whatever label you place upon yourself.

The difference is I have very clearly defined what I exactly mean by 'liberal', 'conservative', and 'moderate'.

I also make it very clear that 'moderate' is not some synonymn for 'common sense' or 'reasonable'. Nor does it even mean 'not polemical', as many have erroneously supposed.

Run the search engine if you haven't seen the debates I've had on here in the past.

Laterz.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
The difference is I have very clearly defined what I exactly mean by 'liberal', 'conservative', and 'moderate'.

I also make it very clear that 'moderate' is not some synonymn for 'common sense' or 'reasonable'. Nor does it even mean 'not polemical', as many have erroneously supposed.

Run the search engine if you haven't seen the debates I've had on here in the past.

Laterz.
Yes, "you" have defined what you mean by 'liberal', 'conservative', and 'moderate'. You have framed the debate. Just because you have, does not end the arguement. That is my point. Again, call yourself what you will, create vasts arguments as to why you are correct if you like. There is no such thing as a true "centrist" or "moderate".

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
*shrug* :idunno:

The meaning of a word is in how you use it.

Latest Discussions