Police verdict sparks looting

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This occurred after the transit police officer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, instead of the 2nd degree murder charge originally sought by the prosecution:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66763A20100709

The verdict prompted a peaceful protest by up to 1,000 people in downtown Oakland, which gave way after nightfall to some people looting stores, smashing car windows, throwing powerful fireworks at police and lighting fires in trash cans.

Looters targeted stores selling jewelry and beauty supplies and grabbed shoes from a Foot Locker store in downtown Oakland, while the phrase "Riot for Oscar" was spray-painted on a bank building, according to a Reuters eyewitness.

Has the city of Oakland really become that bad? I can remember a few decades ago, where Oakland wasn't such a bad place to visit.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of losers! I also disagree with that comment by that lawyer. I doubt that someone who writes a bad check gets more jail time than 2-4yrs.

And what exactly does the rioting prove? Nothing IMO. Just a bunch of low-lifes, running around, acting like total *******s. Of course, some will most likely be arrested, and where did that get them or anyone else? Its not bringing back the kid who was shot, its not solving anything, its not doing anything except making more headaches.

Latest Discussions