Police Riot techniques

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As everyone knows protests have been going on in NYC. Anyways, just wanted to show some videos.

This LEO takes a protestor down.
http://youtu.be/iNyMr6VmGJo

Not sure exactly what this LEO did but it looks like a foot sweep.
http://youtu.be/PcBX5lupbjQ

From a martial arts POV, they did a great job. Because they took down the suspects without injury to themselves or to the suspects.
No punches, no kicks. No strikes. Just restraining them.

Lot of bad press against NYPD but it is not deserved.

Look at this footage.
http://youtu.be/NJaQvh80L-g

It is completely crazy. These protestors are running around in the streets. There could have been a lot more injuries. And they did not have a permit to protest.
These were not peaceful protestors. They were disturbing the peace. LEOs did their job.

Last edited:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I, Personally, did NOT know there were Riots in NYC. *Bolts off to Google*

The Officers did a very good job.
They kept their cool (As best as one can under the circumstances) and kept things reasonably under control.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, Personally, did NOT know there were Riots in NYC. *Bolts off to Google*

The Officers did a very good job.
They kept their cool (As best as one can under the circumstances) and kept things reasonably under control.

Nor did I! Perhaps all those who had criticised the Brits during the recent riots here had wanted to keep it quiet!

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This didn't bother me. The pepper spray version bothered me. Looks like they got a couple of cop's in the process.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"And they did not have a permit to protest."

Perhaps, but doesn't that defeat the point of a protest? Protests are about calling the government (or whatever entity is being protested) that something is wrong and the protesters are pissed off. Pissed enough to drop everything and take to the streets. Asking permission sends the implicit concession that the entity they want to fundamentally change is actually the rightful authority.

I've looked at all the footage I can find, and I've seen very little in the way of excessive force. (Bologna, however, is a miserable coward who should lose his job forthwith. He made the NYPD look terrible if nothing else.) But I'm a veteran marcher and protester and I have seen nothing in the way of improper behavior on their part. No reports of violence at all, marchers keeping to the sidewalk, not even any reports of littering. I think it says a lot that the best the opposition can come up with is to enforce a 19th century technicality about open-air masquerade balls.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, shoving a guy's face into the bumper of a car and dragging a woman across the ground by her hair seem like excessive force to me, as well as the pepper spraying incident and the arrests of people who were simply recording the events with phones and video cameras were most definitely not justified. I also agree with Flea in regards to the permit issue. I understand that being a police officer in a massive group of somewhat unruly people is going to be a high stress situation and they are going to have to make decisions while on edge, but unfortunately it seems that some officers tend to snap and overreact in those situation and never get called out for it because they are police and in a high stress situation. Having spoken to police officers in Phoenix who admit that they beat up homeless people for fun, I have no problem calling out police officers when I feel they are crossing the line, but that's another story.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just want clear something up.
Civil disobedience is a right in this country. And people have a right to protest.
And LEOs should be held accountable if they do anything illegal.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just want clear something up.
Civil disobedience is a right in this country. And people have a right to protest.
And LEOs should be held accountable if they do anything illegal.

They did nothing Illegal.

And the People were Breaking a Law.
"The First Amendment of the United States Constitution specifically allows peaceful demonstrations and the freedom of assembly as part of a measure to facilitate the redress of such grievances. "Amendment I: Congress shall make no law ... abridging ... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."[SUP][13]"
They are Peaceful. But theyre doing more than Assembling.
Theyre shutting down a Portion of Road.

Now, I might sound picky, but they could perhaps consider the Businesses that could suffer as a Result.[/SUP]

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[SUP]
They are Peaceful. But theyre doing more than Assembling.
Theyre shutting down a Portion of Road.

Now, I might sound picky, but they could perhaps consider the Businesses that could suffer as a Result.[/SUP]

Not to be argumentative, but block a road, block a sidewalk, block a stairway, block an enterance, stand somewhere = trespassing, take your pick someone is going to say a peaceful group assembling is breaking the law.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but block a road, block a sidewalk, block a stairway, block an enterance, stand somewhere = trespassing, take your pick someone is going to say a peaceful group assembling is breaking the law.

Fair Point.

Latest Discussions