Point Shooting with an AR

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone here train or practice the "Gun To Eyeballs" method of shooting an AR-15/M-16 here?

For those of you not familiar with that method, you hold the receiver up by your right ear and let the rifle move with your head, so wherever you look, the barrel is pointed. I find it very accurate up to about 30 meters. It's a great way to shorten up your rifle/carbine for use indoors.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Point shooting is great for closer distances. With hand guns it is extremly effective for close personal self defense situations.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Point shooting is great for closer distances. With hand guns it is extremly effective for close personal self defense situations.
There was a time I would have disagreed with you, but that was before I saw the elephant!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well to me it is just simple to shoot this way and simple is good in my book! Now for longer distances, well you need to take in alot more factors ie. wind, etc. and point shooting is just not going to cut it.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone here train or practice the "Gun To Eyeballs" method of shooting an AR-15/M-16 here?

For those of you not familiar with that method, you hold the receiver up by your right ear and let the rifle move with your head, so wherever you look, the barrel is pointed. I find it very accurate up to about 30 meters. It's a great way to shorten up your rifle/carbine for use indoors.

Jeff
Just to clarify...are you saying that you don't have the butt of the rifle in your shoulder?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
interesting...I can see how this would work.

Unfortunately, since I shoot an AK and am a lefty with a rifle, I'd probably get whacked by the charging handle...I'll give it a try if I can figure out some way to keep from getting whacked in the nose. :D

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never tried it with the gun floating off the shoulder as you explain Jeff. I'll have to try it next time I'm out. Probably wouldn't want to do it with a 308 or 12 gauge! Does it cause any FTF, FTE or any other reliability issues related to autofeeders?

I did see a show where a trick shotgun shooter was shooting in a variety of positions, gun upside down, off the hip, between the legs, etc. and he said the key is knowing where the triangle is (the relationship of eye to target to muzzle) and how it changes with the diffrent shooting positions. The closer the 2 bases of the triangle are (eye and muzzle) the easier it is to calculate the third point (target). Maybe this is why point shooting in the manor you explained works well...the boreline is really close to the vision line to the target?

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never had any FTF or FTE problems with it with an AR. Never tried it with anything else, so as far as AK's go, I'm clueless. I originally was taught it at the Ft. Ord MOUT (military operations in urban terrain) School. I have no idea if the Army still teaches it or not.

Jeff