Pipeline/Road from Russia to Alaska

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just saw this today...

Russia plans to build the world's longest tunnel, a transport and pipeline link under the Bering Strait to Alaska, as part of a $65 billion project to supply the U.S. with oil, natural gas and electricity from Siberia.

Kind of a neat idea... it looks like they will have a rail system too. I'm hoping that includes space for people, or perhaps a road for vehicles :) I'd like to visit Russia one day... how cool would it be! Take a road trip from Alaska to China or other interesting places in the region. Heck, if you really wanted to, I imagine you could drive to Europe! :) Would take -forever-, but it would be fun :)

I find it a little bit odd though. Isn't it odd that Alaska is one of our largest producers of oil, but we are importing it to Alaska? I guess its cheaper to go through pipes from Russia to Alaska then to the contenental US, but it just seems a bit odd to me :)

-edit- another interesting thought... 20 years ago, this would have been unheard of! connecting roads with our avowed enemy? How times have changed :)