Physiological Potential

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study Michael Janich's "Martial Blade Concepts" and his various sub-systems as well as Wing Chun. A term he uses that I like is "Physiological Potential." This is also a common idea in many Silat systems. What this refers to is maximizing the applications of a given technique, structure, or movement. The more ways in which you can use what you know....the less you have to know! Do any of you guys do this with your Wing Chun?

Here is one example from my Wing Chun: The Biu Gee motion......can strike to the throat with the fingertips, can strike to the neck or ribs with the edge of the hand, can strike with the outer forearm, can be a defensive motion with the outer forearm, can be a finger flick across the eyes to distract, can be the initial motion that sets up an armlock or head turning throw.

Pin Sun has a movement of Got Bong to Sao Jeung that has a lot of "Physiological Potential"....but that's another post. ;-)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study Michael Janich's "Martial Blade Concepts" and his various sub-systems as well as Wing Chun. A term he uses that I like is "Physiological Potential." This is also a common idea in many Silat systems. What this refers to is maximizing the applications of a given technique, structure, or movement. The more ways in which you can use what you know....the less you have to know! Do any of you guys do this with your Wing Chun?

Here is one example from my Wing Chun: The Biu Gee motion......can strike to the throat with the fingertips, can strike to the neck or ribs with the edge of the hand, can strike with the outer forearm, can be a defensive motion with the outer forearm, can be a finger flick across the eyes to distract, can be the initial motion that sets up an armlock or head turning throw.

Pin Sun has a movement of Got Bong to Sao Jeung that has a lot of "Physiological Potential"....but that's another post. ;-)

I think that Wing Chun already has that built into it as a matter of course.
When you consider just how versatile and multipurpose the three main shapes Bong , Fook and Tan Sau to be.
It never fails to amaze me the countless techniques there are , that are born of just those three main structures.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The study of Application Potential is a very important aspect of the martial arts. Something I have my intermediate and advance students do is take any movement to position/posture and study what is moving, how it's moving, and what would happen if there were contact with the opponent from the very first part of the movement and anywhere along the path within the movement? What would change and why? What if your movement was prevented? What if your movement was deflected completely or partially along the path? Self-discovery is important.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun suppose to be taught that way

True that! But it is surprising that some think a technique can only be applied the way it is performed in one of the forums!

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The study of Application Potential is a very important aspect of the martial arts. Something I have my intermediate and advance students do is take any movement to position/posture and study what is moving, how it's moving, and what would happen if there were contact with the opponent from the very first part of the movement and anywhere along the path within the movement? What would change and why? What if your movement was prevented? What if your movement was deflected completely or partially along the path? Self-discovery is important.

Yes! Good approach to training! Another way to look at "Physiological Potential" is not just the obvious applications of the movement, but looking into the not so obvious. For instance....the Sao Jeung motion in Pin Sun is similar to just drawing the fist back to chest level as in the SLT form, but the hand is closer to waist level and remains with the palm facing forward instead of a fist. The obvious and direct applications are as a "Tun Sau" defensive action that continues all the way back close to the waist, as well as a covering motion against a shot to the ribs similar to boxing. That is what the "Sao Jeung" or "covering palm" refers to. Another obvious application would be as an elbow strike to the rear. A few of the not so obvious applications include a deep Lop Sao motion intended to yank the opponent off balance, a Kum Na motion that encircles and entraps the opponent's arm, and even a throwing motion that presses down on the back of the opponent's neck. Put a small knife in hand and this becomes a ripping motion with the tip of the knife just prior to delivering a thrust. But a Butterfly knife in hand and this becomes a "Tun Do" motion that deflects the opponent's weapon downward and outward while setting up for a return slash. Anyway, it sounds like you guys get my point and look at things the same way!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True that! But it is surprising that some think a technique can only be applied the way it is performed in one of the forms!

WC is built from seed techniques such as tan, bong, and fook, from which a nearly infinite number of solutions or applications may emerge. IMO a good understanding of WC demands divergent thinking. Unfortunately, some sifus and organizations encourage slavish conformity and cult like dogmatism. Or at least that's the impression some of their students give! KPM, you know what (and who) I'm referring to. LOL

Divergent thinking:
Divergent thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
WC is built from seed techniques such as tan, bong, and fook, from which a nearly infinite number of solutions or applications may emerge. IMO a good understanding of WC demands divergent thinking. Unfortunately, some sifus and organizations encourage slavish conformity and cult like dogmatism. Or at least that's the impression some of their students give! KPM, you know what (and who) I'm referring to. LOL

Divergent thinking:
Divergent thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again I have to say.... True that!!!!!

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The more ways in which you can use what you know....the less you have to know! Do any of you guys do this with your Wing Chun?

Heck yeah! It is just one aspect about WC that I have always loved.
On a side note: in survival training..."the more you know the less you carry"
Your post quoted above reminder dedicated me of that.