Pekiti Tirsia Kali Philadelphia

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't comment on what you guys do because, even though you have told me what the Tri-V formula is in the past, I still can't articulate it well and did not wish to represent it. Cheers!

No worries. I don't quibble about the differences anymore, it is all PTK and it is fairly meaningless to an outsider about what we consider major divisions in pedagogy.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
No worries. I don't quibble about the differences anymore, it is all PTK and it is fairly meaningless to an outsider about what we consider major divisions in pedagogy.

I think it's more than just pedagogy, but rather different takes on the system, to include it's tactics and movements. What I experienced in my PTI days is entirely different than what I do now. What I see your group doing looks very different than what I see on a regular basis. For the record, that's not intended to be a pejorative, just an observation.

It's not all that different than what I observed earlier with Guro Dan. You can spot what era someone trained with him by the way they move and what they emphasize. PTK seems the same way to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Going off topic here:
I looked up the Tri-V formula since I hadn't heard of it. What I found was youtube videos with a bunch of different PTK drills, and no real explanation given. Is Tri-V just the name for that conglomerate of drills, or is it some underlying philosophy that I'm unfamiliar with?

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Going off topic here:
I looked up the Tri-V formula since I hadn't heard of it. What I found was youtube videos with a bunch of different PTK drills, and no real explanation given. Is Tri-V just the name for that conglomerate of drills, or is it some underlying philosophy that I'm unfamiliar with?

That is a good question and it took me years to get a decent answer. For a quick and easy explanation the curriculum is a high-grading of the full PTK system and is intended as relatively quick learn structure compared to the prior more exhaustive curriculums. It was brought about when GT started training the military and needed a vehicle to make recruits functional quickly. It (should) focus on high percentage techniques and fairly gross motor actions. This does not mean it is better than the prior curriculums, just that it was organized to get to certain concepts faster than had been done before. You cannot learn the full system of PTK through only studying the Tri-V curriculum, you need to fully investigate each of the subsystems more fully to do that, those subsystems are captured in prior curriculums such as the Doce Methodos.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a good question and it took me years to get a decent answer. For a quick and easy explanation the curriculum is a high-grading of the full PTK system and is intended as relatively quick learn structure compared to the prior more exhaustive curriculums. It was brought about when GT started training the military and needed a vehicle to make recruits functional quickly. It (should) focus on high percentage techniques and fairly gross motor actions. This does not mean it is better than the prior curriculums, just that it was organized to get to certain concepts faster than had been done before. You cannot learn the full system of PTK through only studying the Tri-V curriculum, you need to fully investigate each of the subsystems more fully to do that, those subsystems are captured in prior curriculums such as the Doce Methodos.

That sound pretty much the same, in intent at least, to the Personal Protection System and the Military CQC System that we have in PTKGO. A streamlined curriculum of high percentage gross motor skills to bring people up to a basic level of fighting with a weapon in short duration, but it does not teach the system of Pekiti Tirsia.

Cheers!

Latest Discussions