Part Of Setting A Goal

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whenever I set a goal, part of setting the goal, at least for me, is getting it done within a certain time limit.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whenever I set a goal, part of setting the goal, at least for me, is getting it done within a certain time limit.
well yes that generally what happens with goals, you get them done or you dont

time limits are funny things you need to choose wisely what limit you put on it, it needs to be very very achievable, other wise you either end up stressed or make a pigs ear of it, but not that relaxed that it drops from memary,

i my sister sets her self and occasionally me, arbatary tight dead lines for thing that could easily be three times lobger to do, she spends most of her life a achieving lots of things but is also very very stressed

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
well yes that generally what happens with goals, you get them done or you dont

time limits are funny things you need to choose wisely what limit you put on it, it needs to be very very achievable, other wise you either end up stressed or make a pigs ear of it, but not that relaxed that it drops from memary,

i my sister sets her self and occasionally me, arbatary tight dead lines for thing that could easily be three times lobger to do, she spends most of her life a achieving lots of things but is also very very stressed
Well reaching a goal, the way I see it, involves reaching it within a certain time limit. That's part of the very goal itself, if you ask me.

After all there are time limits for everything. You only have so long to live, that's your time limit right there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well reaching a goal, the way I see it, involves reaching it within a certain time limit. That's part of the very goal itself, if you ask me.

After all there are time limits for everything. You only have so long to live, that's your time limit right there.
but some goals are indeed time limited, if your loosing weight for your wedding, there is only a finite time to the day.

some work goals also come with a limted set time., though commonly not the set time your goven to do them, work likes to stress peopke with unrealistic deadlines

most dont, if i dedecide im going to do a 100 push up by the end of september, then that just an arbetary dead line, it doesnt matter if if its october or november or january, it really doesnt matter no one is counting but me.

what matters is i do more next week than i did last, that it, that all that matters

its called smart goals, that is give yoursrlf progrsive easy goals, so you never fail, that builds up a cycle of success and your still better month on month.

it took me a month to decerate my kitchen, i could have done it 8n a day, but whats the rush, i managed to squeeze in 10 mins here and there inbwtween sun bathing, riding my bike and playing gutar, it looks great as does my tan

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is very scalar. Yes, I think some goals are time dependent. Others are not based on a Ton of life variables.
For example what if you set a physical goal and then have an accident that sets you back? Should you throw the goal away? Of course not.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
but some goals are indeed time limited, if your loosing weight for your wedding, there is only a finite time to the day.
Every goal is time limited. As I said you've only got so long to live, so that's your time limit right there and it would apply to any and every goal you have in this life.

some work goals also come with a limted set time., though commonly not the set time your goven to do them, work likes to stress peopke with unrealistic deadlines
True, many work goals do have time limits set by whoever is in charge, if you've got a work project to do you've got an x amount of time to do it.

most dont, if i dedecide im going to do a 100 push up by the end of september, then that just an arbetary dead line, it doesnt matter if if its october or november or january, it really doesnt matter no one is counting but me.
If I set a goal to be able to do 100 push ups by September I would want to do it by September, that way I can work on being able to do more pushups and maybe I would be able to do 110 pushups by October and 120 pushups by November.

what matters is i do more next week than i did last, that it, that all that matters
The more the merrier.

its called smart goals, that is give yoursrlf progrsive easy goals, so you never fail, that builds up a cycle of success and your still better month on month.

it took me a month to decerate my kitchen, i could have done it 8n a day, but whats the rush, i managed to squeeze in 10 mins here and there inbwtween sun bathing, riding my bike and playing gutar, it looks great as does my tan
If you wanted to take a month to decorate your kitchen that's your choice. Some people might take sooner to do it some people might take longer.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey @PhotonGuy , I think you're spot on! A part of any goal needs to be a deadline. Have you ever heard of a SMART goal? A SMART goal is:

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Relevant
T - Time bound

If your goal is all of those things, you're definitely on the right track.

There's a lot of information about SMART goals available on the web, if you're interested in researching it more.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As an alternative to a SMART goal, there is also something referred to as a BHAG:

Big
Hairy
Audacious
Goal

The idea behind a BHAG is that, if you are a leader and you only ever set SMART goals for yourself or your teams, the best they will ever be able to do is achieve the goal. However, if you set a BHAG... something so audacious that it makes you nervous and sweat, you might not achieve that goal, but you have a really good chance of surpassing any reasonable SMART goal you might have set.

So, for example, a SMART goal might involve getting your black belt in TKD within 2 years. A BHAG might be to make the 2023 USA national team. You might not achieve that goal, but if you make a sincere effort to do so, you will achieve far more than just getting your black belt.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every goal is time limited. As I said you've only got so long to live, so that's your time limit right there and it would apply to any and every goal you have in this life.

True, many work goals do have time limits set by whoever is in charge, if you've got a work project to do you've got an x amount of time to do it.

If I set a goal to be able to do 100 push ups by September I would want to do it by September, that way I can work on being able to do more pushups and maybe I would be able to do 110 pushups by October and 120 pushups by November.

The more the merrier.

If you wanted to take a month to decorate your kitchen that's your choice. Some people might take sooner to do it some people might take longer.
but why September, for your oush up challenge, why not next April? , if i die before i manage to compkete the challenge, push up are the least of my worries, id be more worried about not wash9ng my socks

as soome one a lit closer to death than you, the only challenge that matters is being happy, if push ups make you happy, go to it, but you need to reexamine yoyr life id sugest,

what makes me happy is sittibg out side bars having good converations with good friends, every5hibg else can fit round that

ive just started to go to a chess club, they have told me i need to practise, to get better, they cant for the life of them take on board i dont care if i get better, i just like playing chess

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey @PhotonGuy , I think you're spot on! A part of any goal needs to be a deadline. Have you ever heard of a SMART goal? A SMART goal is:

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Relevant
T - Time bound

If your goal is all of those things, you're definitely on the right track.

There's a lot of information about SMART goals available on the web, if you're interested in researching it more.
my gosl metrix is

will ut make m3 money,

will it save me money

will it get me laid

will i enjoy it

if not, dont bother, ir at least give it a very low priority

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
my gosl metrix is

will ut make m3 money,

will it save me money

will it get me laid

will i enjoy it

if not, dont bother, ir at least give it a very low priority
That's not a goal matrix, that's a decision making matrix. Not the same thing, though one can be an element of the other.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not a goal matrix, that's a decision making matrix. Not the same thing, though one can be an element of the other.
thats not a matrix, thats a metrix,, ???????how else would you choose a goal other than by making a decision.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
thats not a matrix, thats a metrix,, ???????how else would you choose a goal other than by making a decision.
A decision and a goal aren't the same. Right? Do you guys define decision and goal differently in the UK? Maybe call a decision a boot or a bobbin, or spotty dodger? I think from now on, we should all refer to any decision as a spotty dodger. Sounds very British. :D

Just to clarify. Are you suggesting that a metrix is a real word? If so, I'm not familiar with it, and presumed it was a typo.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A decision and a goal aren't the same. Right? Do you guys define decision and goal differently in the UK? Maybe call a decision a boot or a bobbin, or spotty dodger? I think from now on, we should all refer to any decision as a spotty dodger. Sounds very British. :D

Just to clarify. Are you suggesting that a metrix is a real word? If so, I'm not familiar with it, and presumed it was a typo.
all goals require a decision, on what the goal id, how lobg it will take etc.

the merix with the smart goal you posted is also a decision metrix

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
all goals require a decision, on what the goal id, how lobg it will take etc.
Every time I put on pants, I make a decision, but putting on pants isn't a goal. We make decisions all the time that aren't goals.
the merix with the smart goal you posted is also a decision metrix
"metrix" isn't an English word. I don't know what you mean.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The more the merrier.

Yea, but c'mon man/woman. In that train of thought you could say getting up off the couch has a time limit. Do you really need to set a goal to get off the couch?
Yes, I know there are exceptions for people with limb/health conditions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time I put on pants, I make a decision, but putting on pants isn't a goal. We make decisions all the time that aren't goals.

"metrix" isn't an English word. I don't know what you mean.
i think putibg your pants on is a goal, its my third goal of the day, right after pea and shower, there are people who sit around in their jymjams all day, they havent achieved that goal.

every time you decided to do somethibg youve set a goal, commonly deciding not to do something is also a goal, though not always

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
but why September, for your oush up challenge, why not next April? , if i die before i manage to compkete the challenge, push up are the least of my worries, id be more worried about not wash9ng my socks
If Im going to set a goal for doing so many pushups, or any other goal for that matter, I might set my time limit for September or for next April or for any other time depending on the situation. Other people with other goals might set different time limits, it all depends on the situation, the goal, and personal preference. The point is, for goals I do set a time limit whatever it might be and I want to complete my goals within my time limits as that's part of the goal itself.

If doing so many pushups is your goal that's your choice, if washing your socks is your goal that's your choice.

as soome one a lit closer to death than you, the only challenge that matters is being happy, if push ups make you happy, go to it, but you need to reexamine yoyr life id sugest,
You can't accurately say your closer to death than me as nobody knows just how long they have to live. When you go is not something you know beforehand.

As a fitness fanatic I do have pushups as one of the things I do and one of my goals is to be able to do more pushups, but I've got other fitness goals as well.

what makes me happy is sittibg out side bars having good converations with good friends, every5hibg else can fit round that
Good for you, everybody has their own stuff that makes them happy.

ive just started to go to a chess club, they have told me i need to practise, to get better, they cant for the life of them take on board i dont care if i get better, i just like playing chess
I like to play chess too but I want to get better. If you just want to play chess for fun and you don't care much about how good you are, good for you. We all have our different reasons and motivations for taking up activities such as chess.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea, but c'mon man/woman. In that train of thought you could say getting up off the couch has a time limit. Do you really need to set a goal to get off the couch?
Yes, I know there are exceptions for people with limb/health conditions.
I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life on the couch so there is that goal. As somebody who has a favorite reclining lounge chair it can sometimes be hard to get off it, so I sometimes have to push myself to get up and get to work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If Im going to set a goal for doing so many pushups, or any other goal for that matter, I might set my time limit for September or for next April or for any other time depending on the situation. Other people with other goals might set different time limits, it all depends on the situation, the goal, and personal preference. The point is, for goals I do set a time limit whatever it might be and I want to complete my goals within my time limits as that's part of the goal itself.

If doing so many pushups is your goal that's your choice, if washing your socks is your goal that's your choice.

You can't accurately say your closer to death than me as nobody knows just how long they have to live. When you go is not something you know beforehand.

As a fitness fanatic I do have pushups as one of the things I do and one of my goals is to be able to do more pushups, but I've got other fitness goals as well.

Good for you, everybody has their own stuff that makes them happy.

I like to play chess too but I want to get better. If you just want to play chess for fun and you don't care much about how good you are, good for you. We all have our different reasons and motivations for taking up activities such as chess.
if your going to die 8n an unfortunete accident, it really doesnt matter if you die with out hitting your goal, , are you really going to be lieing in the road with your life ebbining away, thinking **** i havent done enough push ups this week. i think not, i wish id spent less time doing push up and more ha ing fun, maybe

i used the concept of continual improvement, for my whole life not just one specific bit of it, if i make improvments week on week, year on year, then il possibly over take you with your stop start mentality, if bot i dont particulaly care as long as im having fun are you having fun, thats all that matters on your death bed

youl never be any good at chess, or most other thibgs never, if you had what was needed to be a grand master, you be there by now, so if that was a goal to be good, youve failed, i didnt fail, im a success coz i only wanted to enjoy it,,,

looser

Latest Discussions