palm strike art?

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is there any art that specializes in palm strikes?

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Baguazhang specializes in open-hand blows - but often includes numerous other types of techniques as well.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Baguazhang seems a lot like traditional Tai Chi is there a link?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bagua, as already mentioned, as well as Chen Tai Chi both heavily emphasize palm strikes as their means of striking.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From what I have seen on-line Ba gua seems to be a flowing circle ,Yang style tai chi seems to be small circle flowing, and from a artile online i saw that supposedly O-Sensei might have gotten Ideas for Aikido from Ba gua?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ram said:
From what I have seen on-line Ba gua seems to be a flowing circle ,Yang style tai chi seems to be small circle flowing, and from a artile online i saw that supposedly O-Sensei might have gotten Ideas for Aikido from Ba gua?

Bagua's primary means of solo practice is done while walking in a circle, a method derived from Taoist meditative practices which also helps cultivate the style of power generation that Bagua uses (it was the first CMA, and possibly the first MA that advocated starting out not directly rooted). The "big circle" of the circle walking practice doesn't look much like Bagua does in action, however.

Most people who have looked at an advanced level into Aikido and Bagua have found their methods of power generation very different. It should be apparent just looking at the twisting and decompressing power exhibited by Bagua people that this is very different from Aikido's power generation (which is done without the back moving and while rooted in a different way etc etc.). The theory persists because some of the throws and mechanically similar even though done from different postures and the fighting strategy can, when the Bagua practitioner is being defensive, bear some similiarities to Aikido.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Iron Palm article I mentioned previously is older than I remembered but this is it if you any are interested. It may still be available in back issues

Journal of Asian Martial Arts
Volume 10 – Number 2 – 2001
An Interview with Kwong Wing Lam on Iron Palm Training
By Mark Jensen.

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rook, nice post!

I agree though both internal arts in nature bagua is much different the aikido. thoug I have heard many times that Usheba was influenced by bagua and studied in Manchuria, I wonder about this. I have heard of many founders of non chinese arts going to China and learning various arts, it is possible, but when you research how the Chinese feel about outsiders and how they taught publicly in those days, you realize the odds of them passing any real information on was highly unlikely. even today we see the closed door students, especially in the internal arts, they are taught much differently then the avergae student or what is often termed as public teaching.
all internal arts use whole body, constant motion, and 'soft" force ( bad wording but hard to describe).
Bagua's spiraling moves are unique, every move is based on a spiral motion, making the throw in application much different from aikido. bagua's stepping is unique to all other arts, and derives from the use of spiraling energy.
bagua forms can be linear, but most often are circular based, usually begiining with a larger circle, and palm changes performed upon the circle. qigong can use static posture on the circle. later the circle changes to many smaller circles, some 8 stp, some 3 step and various ones as well, this is do the constant change of bagua. at the advance stages free form becomes the main solo training, this is where the endless change occurs and a form can last litterally for hours.

baguazhang translates as eight trigram palm, palm is emphasised do to the extensive use of the open palm. there are also other styles that incorporate the palm, even some tai chi forms, atleast one i have heard of, uses only the palm and juijitsu also uses the palm more than the close hand.

Latest Discussions