Pak Sau training

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that idea is rediculous. I don't think im going "kung-fu" fight anyone in the near future in a challenge.

Here's the deal; When you are performing any (wingtsun/wing chun) movement, the idea is not to fight force on force correct? So yes, with some hard training and repetition you could be STRONG and FAST enough to perform this technique. In all actuality, pak-da is supposed to is not supposed to cross the centerline (just like every other WT/WC) technique. What you are looking at in the movie is a dramatasized version of JKD, not WC. Also a smart man would just run under the others arm, in more of a bong-da/biu-sau movement right?

I'm a big guy, 6'00/240lbs and even I wouldn't try this on another fella. There is too much risk of getting a counter before I could complete the technique. There is a difference between TRICKY WT and GOOD WT. This is an example of poor WT. Try this move on your sifu and see how fast he sticks to your arm and returns with a wallop of his/her own.

Also, the is a movie, so it is meant to be visually stimulating rather than for practical application. Especially when WT/WC has a much better solution (replacing...i.e. Bong-Da/Biu-Sau).

Thanks for the video however, and have a great day ya'll!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a start he's in a side on position so his rear hand has to travel from a lot further back to execute the Pak Sau which takes longer and gives the opponent more time to react.
As opposed to the correct Wing Chun square on position , in which it was designed to be used which gives either hand equal opportunity to attack and way less reaction time for the opponent to try and counter.

There are a few types of Pak Sau depending on the type of guard you are attacking , if the opponents arm is very extended you can Pak Sau straight across , if his arm is closer in to his body and structurally weak you can direct the Pak Sau more towards him to collapse his arm and pin it to his chest.

An alternative to the regular Pak Sau's and my personal favourite is the Chum Kiu Pak Sau.
Instead of pushing the opponents wrist out of the way , the Chum Kiu Pak Sau hooks around his wrist and pulls him in to the punch , very useful against strong individuals who are tensed up and expecting force to come at them from the front.

Another entry or Chark Jong technique that is even faster than the Pak Sau's is to use a "Reverse Tan Sau" , my late Sifu hardly ever used the Pak Sau he mainly used the "Reverse Tan".
You just throw your Tan Sau forward at the back of his wrist , sink the elbow slightly to displace his arm and punch through the gap with the other hand.
Easiest way to think of it is to have your Bong Sau on his opposite raised arm and you simply turn from Bong Sau to Tan Sau slightly sinking the elbow as you do so.

Latest Discussions