Outlook Backup

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone might happen to know as to why I might be having so many problems with Outlook. I keep backing things up, but for some reason whenever I go to restore the information that I think I have successfully backed up I end up finding information missing.

Sometimes it is e-mails that is missing and sometimes it is the actuall contacts. I have been using Outlook for a long time over a variety of versions of Office and I don't know if that has anything to do with it at all.

I started with Office 97 in the late 90's and am now alternating between Office 2003 and Office 2007. I'm not exactly stupid when it comes to computers, but I am very out of date with computers because since August of 2002 until August of 2008 I was an over the road truck driver and during that I time I have tended to have gotten very out of date with a lot of things.

Of all the things that I am out of date with the biggest seems to be computers as that area has changed big time and as we all know computers can be a major source of frustration as the industry is constantly changing and trying to keep up with it seems to be next to impossible and that is why I am trying to spend more time on things like my interpersonal skills while at the same time trying to upgrade and update my technical skills.

It's not easy to do because of my current financial situation at the moment.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could it be that you have different back-up locations for mailboxes? Outlook doesn't like that at all - it wants to restore from it's default location or it throws a fit.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are using .pst files of any size for backing up (greater than a couple hundred mb) the files might be corrupt. Do a search on your harddrive for scanpst.exe and use the program to fix the corrupted files.

OP
R

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you are using .pst files of any size for backing up (greater than a couple hundred mb) the files might be corrupt. Do a search on your harddrive for scanpst.exe and use the program to fix the corrupted files.

I'm trying that right now. I guess we will just have to see as to how well that works. It's frustrating to anyone when they lose data like that and as a result it has really got me thinking about taking stuff like all my contact information and putting it into an access database.

The only problem is that I have not figured out as to how to properly account for as many variables that I can and as to how to properly design the database and as a result that along with my financial needs has gotten me to really think about about going back and getting into programming again.

I did some programming studies a long time ago, but have not really played with stuff like Visual Basic, C, C++, Cobol, and other programming languages for a long time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am of little help here but I seem to remember our e-mail admin discussing this in one of our meetings; issues with backups between Outlook 2002 or 2003 and 2007 but since I have enough to keep track of I do my best to ignore all problems that are e-mail related and pass them to the e-mail admin or his staff.

Matthew McMullen

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the version of Outlook that you are using you can end up with problems with the .pst files if they end up being larger than 2gb. I usually export the folder that I want into another .pst file and then have that open in outlook and move the additional mail or folders into the .pst file that I just created. If you want to backup everything then all you have to do is make a copy of the .pst file which is where Outlook (not express) stores all of the contact and e-mail that outlook collects.

Latest Discussions