original pangainoon clips

xiongnu_lohon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you think this is relevant to chinese martial arts in some way? I'm wondering what the point of your post is. What is your goal?

Are you involved in cma?

I study traditional wushu and I do physical conditioning in a modern wushu class to develop my athleticism and flexibility.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xioungnu-lohon, you can check this thread here on MT for a little insight into the style that the OP is discussing or do a google for pangainoon and see where it ties in with CMA. I'm looking around on the net now and will post links to help shai-hai guide you in the search.

Shai-hai, first off, welcome to the board. When you get a chance you should go on over to our Meet and Greet area and introduce yourself to the board at large. I know very little about the CMA and nothing at all about pangainoon. Why don't you tell us a little about the style.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Read this page
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=480

Some highlights

Around the time that Kanbun was teaching his brand of quan'fa in Wakayama prefecture, the popularization and modernization of Okinawan karate had begun. 'Toudi' (China hand) had now become (renamed) karate (empty hand). During this boom-era of popularization a multitude of styles were named and renamed. In contrast, Uechi Kanbun seemed reluctant to formally name his system. Indeed, Uechi Kanbun never stated the name of the system of quan'fa he studied in China and simply referred to his art as Pangainoon-ryu karate-jutsu (Jap. Half hard / soft empty-hand technique); a name which his students innocently mistook as a reference to his particular style of karate

Mabuni was intensely curious as to what had kept Uechi Kanbun in China for well over a decade and Kanbun was more than happy to oblige by demonstrating some of the xing / kata and techniques that comprised his ‘Pangainoon karate'. So inspired was Mabuni by what Kanbun showed him, that Mabuni included some of the basic Fujian tiger boxing techniques in a kata he later developed called 'Shinpa' or 'mind-wave.'

It should be noted that Pangainoon does not refer to a specific style of quan'fa or Chinese boxing. Instead, it more likely refers to the mixture of training methods from Fujian that Uechi Kanbun combined to make his system of karate.

I doubt it is a CMA but it does look rather effective from the clips provided

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows the full truth of the matter, but the I do believe that Uechi Kanbun learned a specific style. There is some doubt as to whether Pangainoon was its name or just a description of it, but he attributed it as one art from one teacher (Shushiwa, that is, Chou Tsu Ho). He was granted a teaching license by Shushiwa.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows the full truth of the matter, but the I do believe that Uechi Kanbun learned a specific style. There is some doubt as to whether Pangainoon was its name or just a description of it, but he attributed it as one art from one teacher (Shushiwa, that is, Chou Tsu Ho). He was granted a teaching license by Shushiwa.

Easy enough to find out what pangainoon means, show it to a younger person form Fujian province. There are a lot of them in the US, I can't speak for any place else though.

Also I will show the supplied Characters to my wife and see what it translate to. The mandarin will likely sound different but the characters will have the same meaning.

I will get back to you

Currently however my feeling is it has its origins in China, much like Kenpo/Kempo but it is not a CMA much like kenpo/kempo

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
半硬软

Translates to “half heart soft” all I can say is that my better half has never seen these characters together in simplified or older Chinese writing systems and thought it was unusual to combine them.