Optimal Method of Breathing for Martial Artists

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I may have linked this article somewhere in a thread a while back but I thought I would start a thread on it so others can reference it. I found the information in it was useful.

Proper respiration has four major benefits for the martial artist. First, through a neuro-physiologic feedback loop, it keeps the mind calm and "grounded." Just try to become extremely angry or hysterical while taking slow, deep, abdominal breaths. It simply cannot be done. In competitive or confrontational situations, some athletes become so anxious and hyperactive that they are bouncing off the walls. This is the sympathetic nervous system in action. An activated sympathetic nervous system releases a flood of adrenaline resulting in the "fight or flight" response. The adrenaline surge is taxing on both the body and the mind wasting enormous energy reserves.
FULL ARTICLE

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the situation, if your sparring monitor your breathing so you can train longer. But isn't there physical benefits to adrenaline that you might wanna use in a real fight?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm.

I've found a lot of benefits to the idea of Being Breathed. That's Scott Sonnon's term for it, but we have a lot of the same ideas in the Bujinkan and I've seen them elsewhere. But the idea is to allow your movement to do your breathing for you. And, sometimes to accentuate or excellerating your movement with the help of your breath. I've found a lot of increased range of motion and power through paying more attention to my breathing, and just allowing it to happen. And it's essential for good ukemi.

But unlike the article, I think that both breathing from your chest and breathing from your abdomen have their uses and that both could be considered proper depending on your desired results.

I also disagree that there is a Western approach to breathing.

Latest Discussions