One Step Sparring

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dear all-

I have very poor memory and not too good sense of directions :p
I was wondering the one step sparring techniques we learn, are they standard like forms perhaps different with WTF or ITF standards?? If so, do you know of a good website that shows us how to do these? I learned them, and I forgot about them after class!! Thanks.

Faye

S

ShaolinWolf

Is this the America Taekwondo Association or...?

Cause if it is the ATA one-steps, I can give you a reference page with some of the cirriculum HERE

D

DragonFooter

In my ITF experience, one step sparring is not a standardized set of forms. Its an drill for you and your partner to practice self defense techniques. Whether its effective or not, the instructor will comment on your techniques....

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, checked your site. The two forms, that I remembered.
Technique 1: defender: left front stance, left upper block, right punch
Technique 2: Defender: Left front stance, l left upper block , right punch, left punch right punch
One of the technique involes a knife hand, and one includes a block, ( don't know the name, but you step forward with your right foot, outside block with right hand , pull the attacker's hand, and do a round house kick , and reverse left punch.
Help!!!

S

ShaolinWolf

What belt are you? After that, who's your instructor and what organization? ATA? WTF? ITF? USTU? WTA? STF?...I might be able to help...

Is this definitely Il-bo Gyreo-roo-gi(one-step sparring)? Sounds almost like Hoshinsul(self-defense)...

:asian:

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
As far as I know, there are no standardized WTF one-step sparring combinations. Some WTF schools may teach them, mine is WTF and doesn't, but I can't speak for others. I've never really understood the point in one-steps. From my understanding, backing off after a few techniques can put you in a tough spot. If you're used to doing back and forth fighting, won't it leave you open in a scenario where the guy you're up against doesn't go back? Not trying to trash one-steps, just trying to get an understanding as to their practicality.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my organization, we do one-steps before we spar. Generally 4-6 months of training is when students start sparring.

The reason for one steps for us is to learn control by throwing techniques at someone w/o hitting them in a structured drill. This also teaches them their distance for their techniques. Also, with our one-steps one person attacks and the person doing the one-step needs to move out of the way and block, then do the one-step. The leads to timing for blocking, getting students used to the idea of being swung at (especially the more timid students), and when blocking, students move at angles, so students begin to learn about body movement.

I often find that if one studies the one-steps they begin to realize they will help you with the basics of sparring and self-defense.

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm embarassed to say that i don't know what school I belong to, but I know it's not WTF for sure. I'm a green belt, but I'm starting all over after over 10 years of hiatus, so these are basic basic one-steps. I find this drill very useful, despite alot of people saying it's more like a choreagraphy. I find that it puts the blocking technique into context, instead of just doing it, i know how to apply them. I know by know mean this reflects street fighting or even sparring, but I think before allowing students to spar, one step exercises are very helpful. Just my 2 cents..

S

ShaolinWolf

Oh, I agree. I think the one-steps can be helpful in the beginning. Helps you get used to combos and blocking, not just hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-etc. We do the 4-6 months of one-steps, well actually we do sparring segments. The one-steps we teach are only for sending white, orange, and yellow belts off to a tournament. But we discourage that and so thus it is only something the instructors know. I had to learn them for my instructor test because they never taught the set ATA one-steps to me. I like them to an extent when doing every single one of them consecutively.

Anyways, If I knew the organization, I could help. Sorry!

:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back 30 years ago there where no set one step combinations. Each each instructor taught them as he/she felt. Admitidly some instructors taught the same ones as their instructor and in the same order but many times it was which ever one he felt like doing that day.
Yes the instructor may have given you what he called 1,2,3, etc and many have wanted them in that order but most of the time he just said do "X" number of techniques against this or that attack.

Latest Discussions