Once-secret program flies out of the shadows...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vancouver resident, 89, tells story of first U.S. women to pilot fighter planes.

FULL ARTICLE
"It was just an exciting privilege to fly," said Blanche Bross, a Vancouver woman who served with the Women Air Force Service Pilots or WASP. Bross, 89, is one of about a thousand women who participated in a program that recruited female pilots to help out in the war effort. She and other WASP fliers want to make sure history doesn't forget the first women to fly fighter planes in the United States.
Bross is hoping to spread the word about the WASP by telling her story.

It's important to pull these secrets out and dust them off in case women are ever needed again .... :rolleyes::ultracool

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Vancouver resident, 89, tells story of first U.S. women to pilot fighter planes.

FULL ARTICLE

It's important to pull these secrets out and dust them off in case women are ever needed again .... :rolleyes::ultracool

History Channel has a good show on this. How the women were hired to do the wielding as their smaller frames fit into tighter locations, and how some where test pilots for the planes as they rolled off the assembly lines.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was in college, I made a informational video for the Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven, PA. Part of the information the I dug up was about the Women's Auxillary Service Corps (Or something like that) and how Piper Aviation actually trained or paid to train many women on their aircraft (called "Grasshoppers").

Pretty interesting stuff. I'll need to get the video out when I get home.