on-bak question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please forgive the intrusion, I have never posted in this section before, but I have a question.

I just saw On-bak last night for the first time, my wife bought me the DVD and I was quite impressed. As a matter of fact this is the first Tony Jaa movie I have seen, but it left me with a question. How much of that was Muay Thai and how much of that was for the movie?

I mean no disrespect but I train CMA and just watch Crouching Tiger hidden dragon and you will see why I would ask. I have yet to be taught how to fly and walk on bamboo, but then I am not a master yet so I have time :) . Also I know little about Muay Thai so I have no base point of reference to go on.

Although I saw nothing outrageous or unbelievable in on-bak I was just wondering how much of what Jaa was doing was real Muay Thai.

Thanks
XS

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, his first art wasn't Muay Thai, but TKD. He's become quite good at the MT though. A lot of what you see in there was just for the movies. But some of those bits in the extras was good MT. Straight Muay Thai wouldn't be "cinematic" enough for the modern movie watcher unfortunately. But there is good stuff in there that is quite representative of MT.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;697652 said:
i would love to see some straight muay thai in a movie , i think it would be great!
So would I! But there wouldn't be much money in it for the producers/distributors.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;697652 said:
i would love to see some straight muay thai in a movie , i think it would be great!

Try '' Beautiful boxer '' its quite a good film

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well some of it was muay boran, which is the name given to the combinations of the older styles (muay chaiya, muay korat, muay lopburi, muay ta sao) a little over ten years ago. These older styles are all muay thai. A big portion of what Tony Jaa did was not traditional, it was more flashy techiques for the movies. Traditional muay thai probably would have been boring for most martial arts movie fans. Jaa has trained in tae kwon do, karate, aikido, muay thai, gymnastics and a few others. I read were he had trained in muay boran for a couple of years before he made Ong Bak.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks to all, I watched it again last night, good movie.

Are any of Jaa’s movies more representative of actual Muay Thai or are they all about the same as On Bak?

But even with the added stuff for the movie it is STILL not as over the top as many martial arts movies out of China.

I really have to talk to my sifu and see when he's going to teach me to fly :)

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Tony Jaa's movie The Protector, he uses an old military form of muay thai called "elephant boxing style" /muay koshasan also called "smashing elephant boxing style" /muay chang tumlai roang. Remeber, they have to ad the typical Hollywood flare(fighting styles) to keep the audience entertained. There is a lot of this ancient art used in the movie though. This old form of fighting used typical muay thai techniques but also uses joint locks and throws. It was traditionally taught to elite military guards in the older times and is very rare nowadays. The movie comes out tuesday 1/16, so enjoy!!!!

Latest Discussions